IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods are 20G 2.4' inlet, 860cc injectors, fuel pump, Catless custom 3" bellmouth DP, EVO2 CB, K&N Typhoon, Perrin 2.4' inlet, ESX TMIC and ECUTEK. The car turned in a nice 340WHP and 355WTQ @ 1.5bar.

In 5th gear EVERYTIME it hits 1.7bar and cuts boost. We've tried putting in a restricter pill but that did nothing. I would prefer the most cost effective way to fix the issue, but I'd like some opinions and suggestions.

1. EWG ($550-600)

2. High flow cat ($150-200) but i don't know if this will fix creep issues...??

Any feedback is appreciated :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
That doesn't sound like boost creep. Do you reach peak boost, hold it for a second and then boost "creeps" up (higher)?? That is boost creep.

If what I described happens then you have boost creep. Porting the turbo usually fixes it. A cat also helps prevent boost creep.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it does't really 'hold' for a second. it just sweeps past the 1.5 bar mark and slowly inches up to 1.7bar...I don't notice it 'holding' at 1.5bar though...

if it isn't boost creep, then what is it??

btw, the DB 20g turbo came ported already...

·
Registered
679 Posts
I will admit it does sound like boost creep ("slowly inches up"). And you say it has already been ported?? Damn. I would suggest you get a high-flow cat in there and see if that helps. Otherwise you could go to an external wastegate. That's all I have.:(

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
STirish said:
DB ports the exhaust inlet, not the WG. You could potentially port the WG still.
He never stated that it is a Deadbolt 20G, and yes if it was a Deadbolt they do port the wastegate. http://www.boostplanet.com/services2.htm
I'm running a SZ55 at 25psi with an internal gate without any issues. Yes, you have boost creep. If you had an Apexi AVCR aftermarket boost controller, it would be easy to adjust for the boost creep in 5th gear, but since you don't then you may have to discuss the creep with your tuner and get his opinion on how to fix the issue. He might be able to change somethings in the tuning. An external wastegate would definately take care of the problem, but then you would have to get retuned.

·
Registered
587 Posts
STiLL said:
btw, the DB 20g turbo came ported already...
is this a new problem or has it always done this since your tune?
is it much colder now?

shouldn't it hit the boost, then pause and then go up? is it only in fifth?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The issue has been there since the tune. I've only really nailed it 2 or 3 times in 5th at WOT and hit boost cut everytime. Funny thing is though, the boost doesn't 'pause' at 1.5bar (peak)...it just sweeps past it as the RPM's go up. It 'looks' normal because the boost stops and holds at 1.7bar...holds for about 2 seconds and then BAM...cuts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.