IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I'll preface with saying that I'm a FA fan being a previous FA20DIT owner. I was making nearly 330 whp with just a flex fuel E50 tune and mostly stock hardware.

But IF these rumors are true.. 400 hp from the FA24DIT (2387cc) would make for a specific output of 167.6 HP/L. That's quite impressive for a Subaru boxer engine with today's strict regulations. The S208's 2.0L EJ207 only has a specific output of 162.7 HP/L. And we weren't allowed to have that in the US..

Just for comparison.. the 2.5L turbo (H4) Porsche Cayman GTS (365 hp/317 lb-ft) only had a specific output of 146.2 HP/L along with an $80k+ price tag. The $200-300k twin turbo 3.8L 911 Turbo S (580 hp) and GT2 RS (700 hp) have specific outputs of 152.6 & 184.2 HP/L, respectively.

This would be quite a feat for Subaru/STI if they can reliably achieve this level of specific output from the FA24DIT while maintaining a broad torque curve. If they do.. I just fear to see the price tag that goes along with it. I'd expect that it would at least be approaching $50k.. let alone if they rework the drivetrain with torque vectoring and/or a DCT..

Then again Subaru has had the last 6+ years to develop a new FA engine for the STI while the FA20D (w/D4-S) & FA20F (FA20DIT) have been in the WRX, Forester XT, BRZ, etc.
You're right they have had 6+ years to figure something out. They have also had over 10 years to change the engine out from the current EJ257. I do not think the EJ is bad, its just outdated. In terms of price tags, do we think Subaru will really make the next gen sti a 50K car?? Thats about a 10K bump over a limited sti. That 10K extra better make everyone happy. As we know, wrx and sti sales are always on the up, but will they continue to rise after a big increased price tag.

·
Registered
152 Posts
If they're really aiming for 400 i think it can be that pricey on the top trim. That feat isn't cheap for 4-cylinders -- ask Benz. I'm actually thinking they could move the BRZ, WRX, and STI up market in price if all those rumors are true. The WRX could take over where the current VA STI sits in power and price (but still overlap the mid to top price of the VA WRX). The BRZ could encroach more on the WRX low to mid price if it gets that rumored turbo too.

Anyway my wish list wouldn't be much tbh. Mechanically, 6-speed (which i believe is a given anyway), more rear-bias awd, valved exhaust to make it louder/quiter whenever. I'd be happy to see 350 hp -- any more is overkill imo and adds to price. A nice centre-mounted analog tach with flanking, customizable screens on each side would be great, but doubtful. REAL recaro sporster cs-style seats. Heated steering wheel. Rear camera washer, or hidden to keep it clean in winter.

What i don't want to see -- adaptable supspension (pricey and tough to make everyone like the settings anyway), flappy paddles

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to our source, the U.S.-spec 2.5-liter boxer turbo powered WRX, featuring the EJ25 engine, will remain in service until the next-generation WRX Series is introduced after 2021.
Does this mean one or two more model years of same engine? The competition will be strong. Year round drivers that can do a reliable 9/10 secound 1/4 mile with a few bolt on's and a tune.

Either way, great times for ICE vehicles and enthusiasts.

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
HP/L???? Uhmmm fine give me more liters a six please . . .

I mean that makes my moderate EJ build 180 HP/l it aint that hard . . A current 500WHP car, easily done today in aftermarket, is already at 240HP/L now today in an old EJ . . . and I'll probably be driving one if they don't remedy the situation ( I don't expect em to) If they can't do it solely due to emissions, then give us the car with an eco-tune and let us change only that . . .

Anyway liters? Power is the ability to burn fuel. Sure there are trade-offs:
Needs to fit in the chassis
Lighter is better

l? on its own I couldnt care less. Yeah rules in competition count, but I just want a high power DD

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Small update, Canada's getting a limited edition EJ called the Kanrai for 2021 which confirms all the articles stating only the JDM market is getting the new STI in 2021.
Doesn't Canada just use Japanese names for their "special" edition cars. Basicially our US equivilant to series white, series grey and ect ect? There is still so much speculation as to who is going to get the 400hp sti, let alone if its really going to have an actual 400hp.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Doesn't Canada just use Japanese names for their "special" edition cars. Basicially our US equivilant to series white, series grey and ect ect? There is still so much speculation as to who is going to get the 400hp sti, let alone if its really going to have an actual 400hp.
They do for the most part, but we did have a Series.Grey and I think we got the Series.White too, and Hyper Blue. But we didn't get Orange. We'll all get the new STI, but USDM has to wait for 2022 that's all. The insider info is that engine is modeled/tuned off of the CLA45 so 400hp is very plausible.

·
Registered
172 Posts
They do for the most part, but we did have a Series.Grey and I think we got the Series.White too, and Hyper Blue. But we didn't get Orange. We'll all get the new STI, but USDM has to wait for 2022 that's all. The insider info is that engine is modeled/tuned off of the CLA45 so 400hp is very plausible.
Canada did not get the Series.White. This new Kanari edition sounds like Canada's version of it. And I also believe the Series.Grey was released under a different name.

Either way I still find the current iteration of the car with its incredible aftermarket support a fanatastic drive. I would not hesitate to buy this new Kanrai version and mod it and see where the chips fall on the next gen version.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Canada did not get the Series.White. This new Kanari edition sounds like Canada's version of it. And I also believe the Series.Grey was released under a different name.

Either way I still find the current iteration of the car with its incredible aftermarket support a fanatastic drive. I would not hesitate to buy this new Kanrai version and mod it and see where the chips fall on the next gen version.
Have you went through a motor rebuild yet?

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
The insider info is that engine is modeled/tuned off of the CLA45 so 400hp is very plausible.

Strange claim - a CLA45 has a flat four?
Do you believe the new STI won’t have one?

Very strange claim . . .

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you went through a motor rebuild yet?
No sir never had any issues. 5000km oil changes with 5w40 and 94 octane fuel from Petro Canada. I am a firm believer that running these cars on 91 octane with the stock tune leads to a lot of the failure issues.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Strange claim - a CLA45 has a flat four?
Do you believe the new STI won’t have one?

Very strange claim . . .
You're overthinking as usual. Moving on...

No sir never had any issues. 5000km oil changes with 5w40 and 94 octane fuel from Petro Canada. I am a firm believer that running these cars on 91 octane with the stock tune leads to a lot of the failure issues.
I was the same way, very strict on maintenance, but the rods still came knocking at 118k. The only difference is I didn't have 94, but had a custom 91 stage 2 tune. Anyways, my point wasn't that the tune was bad or good, it's that once you've rebuilt an EJ, you don't really want to do it again unless you have unlimited funds for a car.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Coming back to the idea of Canada getting the Series.White as a Kanrai model - the more I think about it, the more I think I want one. Have there been any Series.White delivered in the US? I wonder when Subaru Canada is going to announce the Kanrai.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
More rumors without credible sources.. "According to the information that Best Car reported from the people concerned.."

【新型スバルWRX STIは400馬力!!】EJ20の後は新開発の2.4Lターボ降臨!!(ベストカーWeb) - Yahoo!ニュース

Rough translation:

"A new engine is being developed for the S4, which uses the FA24 turbo installed in the Ascent as a base to increase the power and delivers a performance of about 320ps/45.0kgm for the S4.

The FA20 engine has a total displacement of 1998cc with a square ratio of bore = 86.0mm and stroke = 86.0mm. The FA24 engine has a stroke of 86.0mm and a bore of 94.0mm, giving a total displacement of 2387cc.

There is a strong possibility that the new WRX S4 will be equipped with a FA24 turbo instead of the FA20 turbo. STI will use this engine as a base for the WRX STI and perform piston weight adjustment, optimize the dynamic balance of the crankshaft, fine-tune the head and other parts such as the valves and intake ports, etc. to exhibit about 400ps/50.0kgm of power when the turbo boost pressure is increased."

"Mercedes-Benz AMG is currently producing 421ps and a maximum torque of 51.0kgm with a 2L turbo. The feeling of the development site is that even if the engine of the STI model is not the strongest, it can not be significantly defeated "Said the official. The FA24 turbo installed on the new WRX STI will have a much higher performance than the S4 version, and will surely have a performance close to the maximum output of 400ps class and the maximum torque of 50kgm."

41 - 60 of 64 Posts