IW STi Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
that's good. gives me a few years to get a decent sized down payment and pay off more student debt before I buy another car. I really want a DI STi that I can leave stock while I mess with my EJ

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
2020 STI will be the same as 2019. 2021 will see a hybrid powertrain and the FA24.

And...that's not speculation. ;)
i tend to agree no changes to the 2020. but thats all speculation on my part. i also wouldnt be eager to jump on the first MY after a change like that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
So is all the fervor for a FA24 about getting better gas mileage or what? I have a feeling when they switch there will be a lot of improvements and initial praise, but reality checks will set in after the honeymoon period.

·
Registered
725 Posts
2020 STI will be the same as 2019. 2021 will see a hybrid powertrain and the FA24.

And...that's not speculation. ;)
It's still speculation when there's no proof :D

So is all the fervor for a FA24 about getting better gas mileage or what? I have a feeling when they switch there will be a lot of improvements and initial praise, but reality checks will set in after the honeymoon period.
Truth. I think that honeymoon period will end right about the time the "random misfires" from dirty intake valves show up :lol:

D-4S or bust imo

·
Registered
966 Posts
my last car was DI and i never experienced random misfires or really any issues due to valve coking, and they were pretty bad when I got around to cleaning them with solvent and walnut blast. I did notice a bit better gas mileage once I did it but I went almost 100k with no AOS or cleaning.

A low ash oil helps also.

·
Registered
725 Posts
my last car was DI and i never experienced random misfires or really any issues due to valve coking, and they were pretty bad when I got around to cleaning them with solvent and walnut blast. I did notice a bit better gas mileage once I did it but I went almost 100k with no AOS or cleaning.

A low ash oil helps also.
I'm probably still hung up on the horror stories from Audi and BMW owners. I understand that there are a number of tricks available to manufacturers with valve timing and such to lessen the risk of buildup, and I feel like we'd have seen a number of complaints over on nabisco if FA20 valves were getting buildup like the BMW N54s were.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
How about 7 months. Still no news about next gen.
You sure don't pay attention then.

They officially axed the EJ.

The Tokyo Auto Show showcased the new Levorg (with hints that this will be the new look as it's considered a production model) instead of the STI.

The New York Auto Show should have the info we've been waiting for.

·
Registered
725 Posts
They officially axed the EJ20 in JDM.
Fixed that for you. That being said, STI is notoriously tight lipped, and good at keeping secrets. So the end of the EJ20 might actually have an effect on USDM sooner than later, but there was certainly no official remark made that the USDM's EJ25 is done for.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts