IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Its gonna be a fully closed deck 2.9L with forged pistons and I-beams with nitrous and a 35r stock able to produce 650 crank horsepower.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I think the fact they carried over the RA upgraded block to the 2019 MY is a hint that the EJ is going to live on to 2020...but that it will probably be getting direct injection, and exhaust and cylinder head tweaks to make it breath better, electric steering +.....325 horsepower rating out the door.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The 2020 STi needs a few things...

- 350-400 hp DIT motor that isn't oversquare/short stroke.

- Modern AWD system that is efficient and doesn't require brake-based torque vectoring

- Modern traction and stability control systems competitive w/ other performance cars

- Suspension with adaptive dampers that can compete with Chevy/Ford magnetic dampers.

- More balanced handling on pavement.

- Better clutch

- Hatchback

I've heard the next Golf R will have 350 hp...

Subaru needs to put some effort into the WRX/STi or stop making them. When it's debatable that the newest cars made in '19 are no better vs the original 2004 model something's gotta change. Other cars have come a long way in the last 1.5 decades, but not the STi.

·
Registered
51 Posts
- Suspension with adaptive dampers that can compete with Chevy/Ford magnetic dampers.
I'd really like to see this, but it seems like more of a pipe dream than anything else.

- Modern AWD system that is efficient and doesn't require brake-based torque vectoring

Can you elaborate a bit?

- Modern traction and stability control systems competitive w/ other performance cars
I don't even think it really needs it like a high HP RWD car might.

I would just like to see improvements being made more often to keep the brand exciting rather than having to always rely on modifying it to get that excitement.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts

- Better clutch

- Hatchback

Subaru needs to put some effort into the WRX/STi or stop making them. When it's debatable that the newest cars made in '19 are no better vs the original 2004 model something's gotta change. Other cars have come a long way in the last 1.5 decades, but not the STi.
Not true that they should stop making them if they dont make those changes, since if they really werent making the small tweaks they HAVE been making over the past 5 years, the market would tell them and people WOULD HAVE stopped buying them and they would have stopped making them, so that alone tells you that the market buyers for these cars dont care that they havent made the same incremetal leaps that say mustangs have from 2004(which were really really pathetic) compared to a 2004-2007 STI, which destroyed that generation of mustang

....so it is more of a casee of the BIG 3 cars being so so bad in 2004 that they had to throw 450+ horsepower and magnetic suspension to get them to finally eclipse an STI in performance. As well they should since the big 3 were making cars with 500 horsepower in the late 60's and then they were put put cars after that, for over 40 years!!!!!!!! before they got respectable performance LOL.....the STI by comparison has only even been sold in the U.S for a much relatively shorter development timeframe of 15 years.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

- Better clutch

- Hatchback

There's a difference between need and want.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm glad I picked up a non-DI STI before they go DI.

Direct Injection (although good at making power) suffer from all kinds of carbon related issues. Carbon on valves is at the top of that list. I still prefer port injection over direct injection as the fuel helps to keep the valves cleaner.

More importantly though, I hope they put some forged parts in the new motor...probably won't because of the expansion properties of forged components against stricter emissions.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Direct Injection (although good at making power) suffer from all kinds of carbon related issues. Carbon on valves is at the top of that list. I still prefer port injection over direct injection as the fuel helps to keep the valves cleaner.

More importantly though, I hope they put some forged parts in the new motor...probably won't because of the expansion properties of forged components against stricter emissions.
that was one of the main reasons I wanted an EJ. I had a DI Cobalt SS and it was awesome, but the valve coking was really bad. Luckily for me it was pretty easy to take the intake mani off and walnut blast/clean it. This was at around 50k miles

·
Registered
192 Posts

that was one of the main reasons I wanted an EJ. I had a DI Cobalt SS and it was awesome, but the valve coking was really bad. Luckily for me it was pretty easy to take the intake mani off and walnut blast/clean it. This was at around 50k miles
If they are able to use the Toyota D4S tech in the BRZ, this wouldn't be an issue, but if it's like the WRX's FA with DI only that would be an issue. My sister's GTi had more carbon than your cobalt, and ONLY at 50k KM (32k miles)

·
Registered
985 Posts
If they are able to use the Toyota D4S tech in the BRZ, this wouldn't be an issue, but if it's like the WRX's FA with DI only that would be an issue. My sister's GTi had more carbon than your cobalt, and ONLY at 50k KM (32k miles)
That's surprising cause the PCV system on the cobalt is really bad for DI. but I have not worked on a GTI before. Just a VW Bug and my buddies Audi A3 and then A4.

we just did my buddies 2013 Audi A4 on Sunday and for 88k miles, it was not nearly as bad as my Cobalt. but still a good amount of buildup.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts