IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have just recently noticed a creaking noise from passenger side front strut area. When I turn sharply right to left (left to right) lower speeds the noise appears. Also notice hitting bumps on that side it makes a noise like something is loose? Strut tower bolts appear tight. Any thoughts before I haul it into the local dealer?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Is it possibly the notorious strut clunk? Mine was more of a rear strut issue but the fronts can do it too.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possibly the notorious strut clunk? Mine was more of a rear strut issue but the fronts can do it too.
What is/causes that? The steering wheel back and forth causes a different sound than hitting a bump on passenger front??

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
oh, no, the strut clunk is the strut internals "sticking" due to lack of lubrication since it can leak.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Could be anything. Its pretty hard to figure out a noise on the internet. If you have warranty bring it in to the dealer. Show them exactly how to duplicate the noise and show them exactly what you are talking about. The more details the better. It may be even helpful to send them a video

·
Registered
2021 Subaru WRX STI Limited
4 Posts
Ok i know this serves no help but i have the same problem with my car and it started at 6000 miles, Im at 7800 and i still cant find the problem

·
Registered
2021 WR Blue Pearl WRX STI Base
5 Posts
Recheck the strut tower nuts. IIRC they should be torqued to 14.5 ft/lbs, be careful as they can be easy to overtighten and snap.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just did recheck/tightened them before this started happening. I put on a solid strut brace at 800 miles. Knowing me I over muscled one and snap it. Phuck! I will pull brace this weekend and see if it continues…

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Recheck the strut tower nuts. IIRC they should be torqued to 14.5 ft/lbs, be careful as they can be easy to overtighten and snap.
If that is the case, is it just a new bolt and screw on strut to fix?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No. The strut bar mounts through the 3 studs in the top hat, which AFAIK, aren't replaceable. So new top hat.
Lovely! I assume if I loosened the top bolts on the studs a broken one would be noticeable? What is involved with new top hat??

·
Registered
143 Posts
Lovely! I assume if I loosened the top bolts on the studs a broken one would be noticeable? What is involved with new top hat??
Yea I'd think so, because if the stud is broken you probably won't be able to remove the nut as the stud would just spin. Especially if you had the weight off the front by lifting it.

You'd have to pull the strut assembly; remove two bolts from knuckle, three top hat nuts, compress the spring, remove center strut piston rod nut, and swap the top hat.

·
Registered
2021 WR Blue Pearl WRX STI Base
5 Posts
A broken stud should be immediately apparent upon loosening the strut nuts. In theory you could replace just the stud by pounding it out and getting a new grade 8 stud to match. However, you would still need to remove the strut assembly, compress the spring, and pull the strut to gain access to the underside of the tophat. See LHG's video here on the process. For him, it was the tophat itself causing the clunk.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really strange but not hearing the steering noise nor the bump creak?? Will loosen strut bolts (to check) once weather warms up a tad. May just be that top hat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Really strange but not hearing the steering noise nor the bump creak?? Will loosen strut bolts (to check) once weather warms up a tad. May just be that top hat?
I had a similar noise on my 2021 sti; It mostly happened at low speeds with the wheel full lock to the right. It didn't really do it when I parked at work which was always a full lock left turn. About a week before I took it in for the 6000 mile service, the noise went away, of course. A few months before I got the STI, I replaced the struts and springs on my 05 impreza and it was definitely the same noise.

It hasn't come back in the 2k miles since? fwiw. It'll probably come back after the warranty is up!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a similar noise on my 2021 sti; It mostly happened at low speeds with the wheel full lock to the right. It didn't really do it when I parked at work which was always a full lock left turn. About a week before I took it in for the 6000 mile service, the noise went away, of course. A few months before I got the STI, I replaced the struts and springs on my 05 impreza and it was definitely the same noise.

It hasn't come back in the 2k miles since? fwiw. It'll probably come back after the warranty is up!
Oh Man… I thought I just left a socket in the engine bay or something. lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts