IW STi Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
The sti took q performance dump when they upgraded the 19 inch wheels and went to bigger rotors calipers. The 15s and 16s still get ihto the 4s for zero to sixty, the newer models dont for whatever reason that is. A new supra is 60 grand as well and the oniy thing holding me back from that is the fact it no longer has a six speed and a targa. A sports car needs to be able to row the gears.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The sti took a performance dump when they upgraded the 19 inch wheels and went to bigger rotors calipers. The 15s and 16s still get into the 4s for zero to sixty, the newer models dont for whatever reason that is.
The 17" BBS wheels on the 2004 STI were 15.7 lbs each. The 19" wheels on the 2018+ STI are 28.4 lbs. That's 12.7 lbs more per wheel.. a total of 50.8 lbs more rotational mass. That's certainly significant enough to impact acceleration, braking, and steering.

The 18" BBS wheels on the 2015 STI are in the middle at 22.1 lbs. Its 0-60 was 4.6 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.2 sec (same as the 2004 STI).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes many new STI buyers are 30+. We are willing to drop 20k, maybe even 30k more for 4 second 0-60 or quicker. Less boyracer rice and more mature performance. S209 internals with IC sprayer. Titanium exhaust with active valve. CC brakes. Light rims/Better Tires.

I would love option for night vision assist similar to Porsche, Audi, Caddy. Rev match, Launch control, No lift shift, Wideband, Trunk battery. Get near 3300lbs.

TTRS,M2,CLA all girly looking vehicles too. Turning the STI from boyracer to manracer can be done with 20-30k.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The sti took q performance dump when they upgraded the 19 inch wheels and went to bigger rotors calipers. The 15s and 16s still get ihto the 4s for zero to sixty, the newer models dont for whatever reason that is. A new supra is 60 grand as well and the oniy thing holding me back from that is the fact it no longer has a six speed and a targa. A sports car needs to be able to row the gears.
I heard last time from a MotorTrend employee on Reddit saying that ever since the 18+ models went with fully electronic center differential, it prevented him from launching the car hard compared to the early models like 15 to 17MY. He said, it would bog no matter how hard you try to launch it. Also, like what others said, the increased weight of 19 inch rims and other things are hindering this car's performance a bit. I am just posting from what I've gathered in research online because I was curious why the 18+ models became slower.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I heard last time from a MotorTrend employee on Reddit saying that ever since the 18+ models went with fully electronic center differential, it prevented him from launching the car hard compared to the early models like 15 to 17MY. He said, it would bog no matter how hard you try to launch it. Also, like what others said, the increased weight of 19 inch rims and other things are hindering this car's performance a bit. I am just posting from what I've gathered in research online because I was curious why the 18+ models became slower.
Thanks for sharing! That's an interesting point. Removing the launch from the equation, below are Car and Driver's rolling 5-60 times.

2004 STI: 5.8 sec
2015 STI: 6.3 sec
2018 STI: 7.0 sec
2018 STI Type RA: 6.9 sec - the power bump and lighter wheels didn't seem to help much

I wonder what the S209 will manage with its extra 30 hp. The larger turbo may also add a bit more lag from a rolling start.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Pricing has been released for the 2020 WRX, STI & BRZ.
Subaru Announces Pricing For 2020 BRZ, WRX And WRX STI Performance Model Lines

The 2020 STI changes include:
  • $400 price bump
  • "Redesigned engine bay cooling ducts in the front bumper" - This probably refers to the front grille & fog bezel changes mentioned in the first post of this thread
  • "19-inch aluminium alloy wheels in new dark gray with machine finish"
  • "Keyless Access with Push-Button Start" comes standard
No mention of a Series.White or any other special editions for the WRX or STI. However, the BRZ tS is back and will come in Ceramic White.

More interesting than the STI:

Subaru is including Brembos on the WRX Performance package! (4 piston in the front, 2 piston in the rear) The $2,850 performance package option puts the WRX around $32,645 with the Brembos & Recaros.

I'm also surprised that they're bringing the BRZ tS back as I saw quite a few of those sitting at dealerships for a long time. The only real change seems to be that they ditched the huge CF wing for a more "understated" low profile spoiler. The BRZ tS only comes in ceramic white with matte bronze wheels.

2020 marks the return of the BRZ tS (tuned by STI) with a limited run of 300 units and priced at $31,495. The tS suspension upgrades include STI-tuned front and rear SACHS dampers and coil springs as well as an STI flexible V-brace in the engine compartment. Draw stiffeners are added to the chassis and sub-frame to improve steering response. The brake system is also upgraded to Brembo four-piston calipers and rotors on the front and dual-piston calipers and rotors on the rear.

The 2020 BRZ tS comes exclusively in a new Ceramic White exterior color and is paired with 18-inch wheels in matte-bronze finish wrapped in 215/40R18 Michelin Pilot Sport tires. The BRZ tS offers customers a more understated appearance than before, featuring a low-profile rear spoiler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pricing has been released for the 2020 WRX, STI & BRZ.
Subaru Announces Pricing For 2020 BRZ, WRX And WRX STI Performance Model Lines

The 2020 STI changes include:
  • $400 price bump
  • "Redesigned engine bay cooling ducts in the front bumper" - This probably refers to the front grille & fog bezel changes mentioned in the first post of this thread
  • "19-inch aluminium alloy wheels in new dark gray with machine finish"
  • "Keyless Access with Push-Button Start" comes standard
No mention of a Series.White (ceramic white) or any other special editions for the WRX or STI. The BRZ tS will come in Ceramic White.

More interesting:

Subaru is including Brembos on the WRX Performance package! (4 piston in the front, 2 piston in the rear) The $2,850 performance package option puts the WRX around $32,645 with the Brembos & Recaros.

I'm also surprised that they're bringing back the BRZ tS as I saw quite a few of those sitting at dealerships for a long time. The only real change seems to be that they ditched the huge CF wing. It also has the Ceramic White color option.
Headlight height adjustment controls? Line from the release," Steering Responsive LED headlights (low and high beam) with height adjustment controls",. Are the 18 and 19's supposed to have height adjustable lights? Mine doesn't seem to.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Headlight height adjustment controls?
Interesting, I missed that. That makes it sound like they can be adjusted manually..

Subaru mentions "Steering Responsive LED Headlights with automatic low and high beam height adjustment control" in the description of some of their other models like the Outback.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Interesting, I missed that. That makes it sound like they can be adjusted manually..

Subaru mentions "Steering Responsive LED Headlights with automatic low and high beam height adjustment control" in the description of some of their other models like the Outback.
I've had other cars, RX8 and CLA45 AMG that had steering and height adjustment automatically but the STI does not. It was neat, when you start the car the lights went cross eyed then up and down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice ugrades to the 2020 WRX and STi! Push button start standard on WRX premium and base STi!! WRX Premium Optional Recaro and Brembo brakes package for $2850...Awesome!!
The Brembo's only increased the performance package cost by $800. I'd say that's a pretty good deal!

·
Registered
44 Posts
So the headlights go up and down on hills now instead of just side to side? That would be a bonus for drivers like myself.

The new lower air vents look worse then the MY18/19 if that's possible...Doesnt mention it being routed to cool brakes. Just dirty the engine bay faster? A set of fog lights would've been better.

Heavy rims don't look any better then the old.

Sad life. So much potential still, we're willing to spend more but Subaru doesnt want to take the risk.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Headlight height adjustment controls? Line from the release," Steering Responsive LED headlights (low and high beam) with height adjustment controls",. Are the 18 and 19's supposed to have height adjustable lights? Mine doesn't seem to.

Height adjustment headlights were on all models until 2008 I believe. I know for sure it was on my 2007 STi. It was a scroll type adjustment that brought the beam of the lights lower. If you had a full car or a heavy load in the trunk, it would allow the driver to adjust the headlight beam lower so that you're not blinding the on-coming traffic. I liked it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Height adjustment headlights were on all models until 2008 I believe. I know for sure it was on my 2007 STi. It was a scroll type adjustment that brought the beam of the lights lower. If you had a full car or a heavy load in the trunk, it would allow the driver to adjust the headlight beam lower so that you're not blinding the on-coming traffic. I liked it.
I just use it to "wave" to other Subie owners. Scroll up, scroll down LOL

121 - 134 of 134 Posts