IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2020 will be the last year for current (VA) gen chassis.
Subaru already released some info on minor changes it will get.
- The front grille of the WRX and WRX STI has been redesigned. Subaru says a plating mall has been added to emphasize the wing motif.
- STI gets newly-designed front fog lamp covers.
- New/redesigned 19-inch aluminum wheels
- New trunk release that works without the key fob and can be opened when all the doors were unlocked
- New Series.white (ceramic white) edition limited to 250 Stis
more info should be released soon...

·
Registered
715 Posts
2020 will be the last year for current (VA) gen chassis.
Subaru already released some info on minor changes it will get.
- The front grille of the WRX and WRX STI has been redesigned. Subaru says a plating mall has been added to emphasize the wing motif.
- STI gets newly-designed front fog lamp covers.
- New/redesigned 19-inch aluminum wheels
- New trunk release that works without the key fob and can be opened when all the doors were unlocked
- New Series.white (ceramic white) edition limited to 250 Stis
more info should be released soon...
Image Link

Image Link
Sounds interesting. Where did you see this?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I'm curious what the Ceramic White will look like in person. If Subaru moves to the CVT for the 2021 STi, I will definitely be picking up a 2020 STi or the Type RA. As much as I want the S209, I doubt I can get my hands on one due to the low production.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Subaru moves to the CVT for the 2021 STi, I will definitely be picking up a 2020 STi or the Type RA.
Tom Doll, CEO of Subaru North America, confirmed the news to Australian magazine Drive, saying “we will still have manual transmissions in our performance line like for the WRX and STI.”

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I ordered a 2019 a couple of months ago, still has not arrived and I always had in the back of my mind, should I have waited a few months for the 2020 spec. This gives me some peace of mind that much is the same. Things I was interested in was, different colored calipers, different rims (these current ones are going to be such a pain to wash), unique 2020 color (like what Series.Gray was). Anyhow, all good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got my 2019, and so far, 2019 and 2020 have very minimal differences. Glad about that, you can pretty much build the same car. And i kind of like the '19s 19" al wheels so much better. That and the fog light and LED strip is available after market isn't it?

Otherwise, the car is still beautiful. Can't wait for 2021

·
Registered
44 Posts
As a MY18 owner I was hoping for more changes so I would be tempted to trade-in before expensive maintenance items come due. I'd love the last year of rumble boxer for a winter beater, as slow as STI's are in summer it's a driving pleasure in winter that ticks all the boxes.

Whats so hard about...
350hp ish
50-100lbs weight loss
Rev matching, no lift shift, launch control.
Warranty approved dealer installed stage 1 kit

Carbon ceramic brake option (Icing on cake)
Night vision option (Icing on cake)

·
Registered
934 Posts
I'd love an Sti that gets low 20's city, high 20s hwy for a DD.

I still have my rumble boi but once the 2022 or 2023 Stis are out, I may buy one(assuming they use the 2.4L DIT engine)

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'd love an Sti that gets low 20's city, high 20s hwy for a DD.

I still have my rumble boi but once the 2022 or 2023 Stis are out, I may buy one(assuming they use the 2.4L DIT engine)
That motor is the oniy logical choice for them to use. The DIT 2 liter is an option but the torque is what makes an sti an sti.

·
Registered
259 Posts
That motor is the oniy logical choice for them to use. The DIT 2 liter is an option but the torque is what makes an sti an sti.
*In the US/North American market where "we" love torque. Keep in mind that Japan has the higher revving EJ207.

The FA20 already makes great torque with the direct inject and twin scroll turbo. It also responds amazingly to flex fuel. I just wish it had a bit more character, stronger rods, dual injection (direct & port injection), a larger turbo & higher redline. I'd be happy with that coupled to the existing STI drivetrain... that's not that much to ask for right?

I'm a former FA20 WRX owner. I ultimately traded it in for a '19 STI for the more raw, old school driving feel. I just hope that the next gen STI doesn't lose all of its character. I was making 330whp with just a flex fuel kit and tune on my WRX. It was certainly faster than my stock STI, but it wasn't anywhere near as engaging and fun to drive. The only thing that I miss is the fuel economy due to my long commute.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts