IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
Personally, I'd do the E85 switch before the turbo. You may find you're happy with it and less problems of having things apart. You could do a FlexFuel kit and injectors/pump, and you could size the injectors to a size that would support whatever turbo you're looking at. If you never upgrade the turbo, you'll have a good FlexFuel setup. If you do swap turbos, you don't have to mess with fueling.

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
NICE. rotated has it's pros and really the only con i see is the price lol, it may or may not be overkill depending on what your power goals are for the car. but glad to see you are enjoying it now
Yeah if I wanted an outright straight line speed car I would go with a different platform honestly. A 425-450 wheel on E85 with stock location upgraded turbo (2.5 XTR Dom) stock intercooler would be plenty for just a back road burner. Probably swap to ELH at same time.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yeah if I wanted an outright straight line speed car I would go with a different platform honestly. A 425-450 wheel on E85 with stock location upgraded turbo (2.5 XTR Dom) stock intercooler would be plenty for just a back road burner. Probably swap to ELH at same time.
smart. these cars arent really straight line speed cars. honestly if all you want is 420-245whp with a stock location turbo a blouch 1.5xtr will get you there easily on e85. i have a few friends with 20g turbos on e85 making 415whp at 24psi so that's even really close to the goal and both will spool faster than the 2.5xtr. the 1.5 is my favorite of the stock location turbos ive ever driven on. spool difference vs a 20g is barely any. iirc it was like 300rpm which, on the street you dont even notice.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Personally, I'd do the E85 switch before the turbo. You may find you're happy with it and less problems of having things apart. You could do a FlexFuel kit and injectors/pump, and you could size the injectors to a size that would support whatever turbo you're looking at. If you never upgrade the turbo, you'll have a good FlexFuel setup. If you do swap turbos, you don't have to mess with fueling.
Agreed, but I think I want a shift in the power band to pull out better up top especially with the STI short overall gearing. The stock turbo is done at 6k rpms. A 1.5-2.5 XTR DOM (or like) should give me that pull out to 7k rpms. I only want to tear into this car once and just do it all at same time. Turbo, header, fuel system done…

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Agreed, but I think I want a shift in the power band to pull out better up top especially with the STI short overall gearing. The stock turbo is done at 6k rpms. A 1.5-2.5 XTR DOM (or like) should give me that pull out to 7k rpms. I only want to tear into this car once and just do it all at same time. Turbo, header, fuel system done…
a 20g, 1.5 or 2.5 will all pull till 7k without issue. believe it or not, you actually have longer gears than I do haha. the 04-06 gears were even shorter than the 07+. but my 20g still pulls all the way to redline without letting up. I honestly cant wait to get it on ethanol. i should be able to push 25-26psi and make in the 420-430 range should i choose to. but honestly with my racing class i'll probably just leave it at 22-23psi and make 390-399whp (cant be at or over 400 for my class). but any of those 3 turbo options will let you stay in the power band when running through gears. cant really go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
a 20g, 1.5 or 2.5 will all pull till 7k without issue. believe it or not, you actually have longer gears than I do haha. the 04-06 gears were even shorter than the 07+. but my 20g still pulls all the way to redline without letting up. I honestly cant wait to get it on ethanol. i should be able to push 25-26psi and make in the 420-430 range should i choose to. but honestly with my racing class i'll probably just leave it at 22-23psi and make 390-399whp (cant be at or over 400 for my class). but any of those 3 turbo options will let you stay in the power band when running through gears. cant really go wrong with any of them.
Yeah that sounds like what I want! If I’m going to drop 5 plus grand on it I want it to be a nice step up in overall power. This car is not a daily or commuter car. Just want something “more” fun, but looks/sounds like a bone stock STI. I’m fine running stock dp and exhaust with a header.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yeah that sounds like what I want! If I’m going to drop 5 plus grand on it I want it to be a nice step up in overall power. This car is not a daily or commuter car. Just want something “more” fun, but looks/sounds like a bone stock STI. I’m fine running stock dp and exhaust with a header.
if you are gonna upgrade the turbo do you plan on doing a downpipe too? if not that'll be a pretty big restriction there.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
if you are gonna upgrade the turbo do you plan on doing a downpipe too? if not that'll be a pretty big restriction there.
The 19 up (RA) stuff has a better factory dp. If Jason thinks it will restrict too much I may have to run an aftermarket high flow cat/dp. Once it is on E it burns cooler too. If I can run stock I will.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
if you do be sure to post results. i'd be curious to see how much of a restriction it would be. if it were me, i'd build a custom exhaust to make it as quiet as possible and run cobb's gesi downpipe. but jason will know more than i will.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Yeah I honestly do not want another loud car and do not want my money tied up in cat back exhaust parts. I’d give up 15-20 whp to keep things tamer. Now if it makes a 25-30 whp difference then maybe…

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Yeah I honestly do not want another loud car and do not want my money tied up in cat back exhaust parts. I’d give up 15-20 whp to keep things tamer. Now if it makes a 25-30 whp difference then maybe…
even on a stock turbo from what we saw when i was at mach v adding a turboback over stock netted a pretty big power gain (i want to say it was 40+whp on average, granted, with a tune). but some of that could be just from the tune alone. i'd imagine with a bigger turbo it would restrict flow enough that it would be even bigger than that.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
even on a stock turbo from what we saw when i was at mach v adding a turboback over stock netted a pretty big power gain (i want to say it was 40+whp on average, granted, with a tune). but some of that could be just from the tune alone. i'd imagine with a bigger turbo it would restrict flow enough that it would be even bigger than that.
What year car?

·
Super Moderator
9,244 Posts
Doing it all at once just means you have more to troubleshoot when something isn't right.

Plus, once you start going down this road, it's never just once. ;p

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Doing it all at once just means you have more to troubleshoot when something isn't right.

Plus, once you start going down this road, it's never just once. ;p
Don’t Jinx my shitt Man!! 😜😜

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Id suggest going E85 flex fuel first before upgrading the turbo. Stock turbo on flex can pack a pretty good punch from what ive seen. Although, you do have an upgraded block so going for a DOM 1.5xtr on flex would be pretty sweet too.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Id suggest going E85 flex fuel first before upgrading the turbo. Stock turbo on flex can pack a pretty good punch from what ive seen. Although, you do have an upgraded block so going for a DOM 1.5xtr on flex would be pretty sweet too.
I wonder what just a drop in DOM 1.5xtr on flex would do? I guess if you are already in there a dp or header would make sense, but the simpler the better for me. If it makes 400 whp on stock exhaust on E85 I would be happy enough. That is easy 100 whp more than I am making now.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I am not interested in a max effort stock block build in the end. I think a tastefully (not over the top) modded 2020 STI with low miles will hold it’s value better. A flex fuel upgraded turbo only may be the ticket for me. Not chasing dyno #’s, but fun street car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
So completed my 2nd oil change @ 5k miles last week. I had a bag of crush washers I forgot I bought last summer. lol.

Made a big boo boo setting the jack and jack stand on driver side. I went to change my positioning of the jack and forgot to pull the jack stand out away from the rocker panel. I lowered the jack and crunch… Mother F’er.

It did not break the paint, but dented in the painted plastic panel midway below driver door. Fortunately it looks like you can buy that part painted factory color for around $221. Good times…
Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Automotive exterior Rectangle Automotive design Vehicle door

Automotive tire Cloud Hood Bumper Wood

41 - 60 of 90 Posts