IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2020 WRX STI, Magnetite grey,
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have not even picked up my car yet. lol. Excited to get into turbo and true awd car. I’m a big car guy and have got the pleasure to enjoy many different platforms over the years. No spring chicken by an means now being in my late 40’s.

A few notable past cars are the following.
1989 CRX Si
1991 Acura Integra LS special edition
1991 Mustang LX 5.0 notch back
1995 Ford Probe GT
1999 Mustang GT
2003 Ford Focus ST
2003 Mustang Cobra 460/472 whp
2007 Nissan 350z HR
2008 Dodge Caliber SRT4 358/368 whp
2013 Ford Taurus SHO
2014 Mustang GT CS a6
2015 Corvette C7 lt2 a8
2016 VW GTI 2 door manual
2018 Mustang GT pp1 a10
2019 Ford Edge ST

Will get some more pics after getting STI home tomorrow. ;).

Reactions: enoxard

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
great List of cars there man. Magnetite is Tight! Nice color. I’m 46 and considering my 3rd new STi. Just sold my 11 that I bought new. Had an 07 bought new too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
great List of cars there man. Magnetite is Tight! Nice color. I’m 46 and considering my 3rd new STi. Just sold my 11 that I bought new. Had an 07 bought new too.
Thank you. How did you like your 11? How many miles on it when you sold it? I believe quite a few dealers in the midwest anyway are getting some 2020’s back in stock soon. What color your looking at? Best.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Congrats! Looking forward to how you compare this car to some of your other vehicles. The STI has a great 90's car feel to it, I'm around the same age as you, so I bet this is something you'll appreciate. The STI isn't that fast in a straight line, but it's driving dynamics make up for it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats! Looking forward to how you compare this car to some of your other vehicles. The STI has a great 90's car feel to it, I'm around the same age as you, so I bet this is something you'll appreciate. The STI isn't that fast in a straight line, but it's driving dynamics make it for it.
Thank you. Yeah I’m looking for a raw feel I have been missing. The 18 stang ran high 11’s @ 121-122mph on factory tires. The car is a handful from a dig to 60 mph. Agreed on the driving dynamics. The faster cars are not always the most fun in the end. Plus I’m over the “third leg” measuring in straight line stuff.

Reactions: JFAZ

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Thank you. How did you like your 11? How many miles on it when you sold it? I believe quite a few dealers in the midwest anyway are getting some 2020’s back in stock soon. What color your looking at? Best.
I loved my 11. I had it 10 years which is by far the longest I ever kept a car. Made almost 400wtq on stock turbo flexfuel and over 80k miles when I sold it and still retained 40%+ of its original value. I’m looking at Lapis blue this time but I’m also considering other cars, specifically used GT350 or an M car but I’m so used to having AWD turbo 4s, Its hard not to buy another one. Especially since I have a bunch of parts from my 11 that will swap over. How did you like your 18 GT? Those cars are beasts.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I loved my 11. I had it 10 years which is by far the longest I ever kept a car. Made almost 400wtq on stock turbo flexfuel and over 80k miles when I sold it and still retained 40%+ of its original value. I’m looking at Lapis blue this time but I’m also considering other cars, specifically used GT350 or an M car but I’m so used to having AWD turbo 4s, Its hard not to buy another one. Especially since I have a bunch of parts from my 11 that will swap over. How did you like your 18 GT? Those cars are beasts.
That Lapis is really cool and different. All I can say is stick with what you know and like.

Yeah the 18gt with the 10 speed and 3.55 gears is incredible in a straight line with the wide throttle shifts in drag mode. Plenty fast for a rwd street car imo. The s550 crowd is really stuck on making 800-1000 whp though to be cool. Then you have a car you cannot go wot until 90 mph plus unless your running a dedicated drag setup. lol.

What mods where you running to hit 400 on your 11? I see IHI makes a vf48 high flow drop in turbo that can run on stock tuning for decent increase in top end power. I really want to keep the mods to a minimum on this one. Great resale value on the 11 btw!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Really like the color, seems to be the next best option now that Subaru ran out of dgm paint (j/k). Is there any metal flake in it or just solid?
So do you have an airport hanger for a garage or just fly through vehicles? Also with some serious torque in recent ones is it frustrating not being able to move at 2k rpm now?

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That Lapis is really cool and different. All I can say is stick with what you know and like.

Yeah the 18gt with the 10 speed and 3.55 gears is incredible in a straight line with the wide throttle shifts in drag mode. Plenty fast for a rwd street car imo. The s550 crowd is really stuck on making 800-1000 whp though to be cool. Then you have a car you cannot go wot until 90 mph plus unless your running a dedicated drag setup. lol.

What mods where you running to hit 400 on your 11? I see IHI makes a vf48 high flow drop in turbo that can run on stock tuning for decent increase in top end power. I really want to keep the mods to a minimum on this one. Great resale value on the 11 btw!
I test drove an 18 GT350 for about 30 mins by myself! Was a blast but I had to really rev it to feel the torque and I was doing like 90 constantly. If I end up with one, I will probably get in trouble Lol. My STi had better low end torque for sure and probably more fun on the street. My car had full bolt ons stock turbo on Cobb flexfuel kit. Equal headers, external wastgate, top mount. 350 whp/390 wtq. Super fun. Never dragged it but I gotta think it would trap 115ish. The next step was another big chunk of $$ for a built motor and turbo and I decided not to do it on a 10 year old car. When I returned it to stock, it was obviously much slower but it was still a nice ride!

if you plan to mod your 2020, the good news is it has the RA block which is a beefed up block and many tuners doing up to 500whp on them. My tuner, who is very experienced and never done me wrong in almost 15 years said he would be comfortable doing an FP Green set up on flex on the stock RA block probably make 450whp. That should be a 120 trap or more

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nice! I bought my 2020 in December. As others have said, it's not the fastest in a straight line, but the steering feedback the car provides in the canyons along with dirty/snowy road performance is unmatched at this price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really like the color, seems to be the next best option now that Subaru ran out of dgm paint (j/k). Is there any metal flake in it or just solid?
So do you have an airport hanger for a garage or just fly through vehicles? Also with some serious torque in recent ones is it frustrating not being able to move at 2k rpm now?
I do have about a 2.5-4 year turn on vehicles.
It definitely has some flake or pearl in the grey.
Drove it home today through northern Arkansas and now I get it. Wow, what fun.
I poured a can of VP Octanium Unleaded in it after I left the dealership to spike the octane 5-6 full numbers. Awesome! Break in, what break in. ;).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Have an AEM dry panel arriving today! First official mod. What a rebel. ;).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Reactions: Urabus23

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
That ass looks as good as the GT! How you like it in comparison to the GT so far? Slower for sure but STi is a drivers car and holds its own. Not many cars like it anymore with turbo, awd and manual

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That ass looks as good as the GT! How you like it in comparison to the GT so far? Slower for sure but STi is a drivers car and holds its own. Not many cars like it anymore with turbo, awd and manual
Well the GT with performance pack pulls .97 g’s on skidpad even with staggered 255/275 setup. I never felt confident pushing the car much. After picking up the STI I got to drive it home 115 miles mainly through northern Arkansas Ozark mountains. Unbelievable is all I can say!

You have to let this car get into the corner and mostly turned before hitting the throttle nice and smooth. Turns like it is on rails with major driver confidence. Steering is almost telepathic. Power is more than adequate for corner carving. Another 50 whp and torque would be nice, but easy to add.

Great to have a manual again for sure. Really adds a lot in this type of car. No regrets at all. ;).

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Well the GT with performance pack pulls .97 g’s on skidpad even with staggered 255/275 setup. I never felt confident pushing the car much. After picking up the STI I got to drive it home 115 miles mainly through northern Arkansas Ozark mountains. Unbelievable is all I can say!

You have to let this car get into the corner and mostly turned before hitting the throttle nice and smooth. Turns like it is on rails with major driver confidence. Steering is almost telepathic. Power is more than adequate for corner carving. Another 50 whp and torque would be nice, but easy to add.

Great to have a manual again for sure. Really adds a lot in this type of car. No regrets at all. ;).
Look at my 2008 STI Journal. I started with a 2011 STI and after totalling it at WGI I put everything into the 2008 STI hatch. I loved the '11.
The '08's a dedicated track car, but reliably cranks out 470 WHP and walks away from a lot of Detroit Iron and other fast imports.
I have three STI's and four Subarus in all. Heavily invested...

·
Registered
193 Posts
very nice. i dig it.

what are your overall plans for the car?

i dig the old gt too. my best friend used to have one and man it was a blast to drive. definitely not as confidence inspiring as the sti. but i also have pushed the sti too far a few times and slid/spun lol. when it says too much it happens fast. hopefully i'll be better with more track time. i have had my 06 for quite some time. if i didnt have it, i would definitley get a va chassis like you

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very nice. i dig it.

what are your overall plans for the car?

i dig the old gt too. my best friend used to have one and man it was a blast to drive. definitely not as confidence inspiring as the sti. but i also have pushed the sti too far a few times and slid/spun lol. when it says too much it happens fast. hopefully i'll be better with more track time. i have had my 06 for quite some time. if i didnt have it, i would definitley get a va chassis like you
Nice. I like the early STI body style. Classic!

I plan to just enjoy it under warranty for a while. At some point protune with maybe a drop in turbo. Want to keep this simple!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Nice. I like the early STI body style. Classic!

I plan to just enjoy it under warranty for a while. At some point protune with maybe a drop in turbo. Want to keep this simple!
very nice. honestly i kinda wish i had stayed stock turbo to be in a lower class when racing. ive had mine for 8 years at this point. built motor, 20g turbo (for the moment), last dyno was 377whp/401wtq (probably about 10 less from pulling timing at this point)

if you plan on enjoying under warranty keep in mind you wont void that with some coilovers and suspension mods/wheels and tires, and you can make the car look very nice and handle alot better. all your call though. same with cosmetics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts