IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a faint smell of oil coming into the cabin with the circulation off. Climate control on auto.

1. It is not a burnt oil smell, it smells like the smell of oil if you were to stick your nose by the dip stick hole (obviously without the dipstick in)

2. Do not see any leaks, checked oil pan, filter, top of engine, by turbo and intercooler.

3. Do not really smell it under the hood.

4. *** I do smell it strong if I open up the intake filter and stick my nose in there (can't remember for the life of me if that is normal). No oil in the pipe that comes post filter to the turbo. Did not check intercooler to TB yet.

Not sure if I am just seeing normal blow by, or this is something else. Will prob take it in but not even sure what to tell them to check. Compression??

I suppose they can get a better look on the lift.

Car is stock, I have around 3500 Mi on this oil change and doesn't look like I am loosing a significant amount of oil. Last oil change i was a touch under the notch when i filled it.

Anyone else ever get this?

Oil level below, both sides

·
Registered
367 Posts
I first noticed this on my '16 WRX, but it was modified. I checked for leaks and never found anything. I had an IAG street AOS so I just assumed it was related to that.

Later I upgraded to my '19 STI and still experience the same smell despite it being entirely stock. The smell isn't noticeable once I switch over to the cabin air recirculation.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that notices this.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep. Took it to the dealer today, they couldn't find anything wrong. No leaks. Like you the only time I smell it is when stopped with re circulation off. I can also smell it after i shut the car off and leave the vents blowing. Also is only an issue after the car worms up to normal temp.

It is also very faint. They said it could be the cosmoline wearing down and burning off. Strange part is I cant for the life of me track it down by smelling the engine compartment in multiple places.

If I had to guess it was by the fuel lines on the drivers side of the engine.

However the intake smells like a gas/oil mix but i assume that is because of the turbo system and maybe a tiny bit of blow by.

Im going to do an oil analysis next oil change just to make sure that everything is ok inside.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
If there's a smell, there's a leak, it just hasn't been found. If you smoke leak test the crankcase you'll find it. Sometimes leaks like this only happen under certain conditions. The dealer likely gave a visual, and a smell test and sent you on your way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it normal for the intake to have a gas/oil smell to it when you open the air box where the filter is?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I swear, people complain about old Subaru's, but I'll stick with my 05. These VA's have nothing but issues and I honestly have to pause to see if it's a Mitsubishi or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean the smell inside the car could be me being crazy. It is very faint. I cant for the life of me sniff it down when I open the hood. The only thing I do smell is what I described above when cracking open the airbox. I think that may be normal since I could be smelling blow by or exhaust from the turbo because all that crap is connected.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
I just bought a brand new 2020 STI and have the same issue. Seems to only happen when it’s warmed up and when I go up to 3k-4K RPMs, once I let off it goes away. I’m guessing something with the PCV system? Car is bone stock with 700 miles on it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For me it seems to be coming from this general area. Which happens to be right by the fresh air intake.

Zoomed out:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have my 2011 GR since the car was brand new and the faint smell was there since it was new..... and after 9 years I finally found out what it was and eliminated the smell.....yep, it smelled like oil to me at first too...... see my other thread here..... Mystery exhaust smell - running out of place to look

hope this help or at least it is another easy place to look and experiment (duct tape works .... haha)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't help you with the smell since my STI is modded, but I can't remember ever smelling oil at that early stage of the motor. That being said, where are you getting your oil changes? I ask because dealers are still running 5W-30 (or something like that) in these motors. I immediately switched to 5W-40 at the recommendation of the shop I take my car to (Andrewtech). Also, at 3,500 miles on that oil change, your oil looks black AF. I never go over 3,000 miles (I know some will think that's a waste, but #STIlife #hardknocklife), but I can't imagine another 500 miles would make the oil turn that black? Others?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can't help you with the smell since my STI is modded, but I can't remember ever smelling oil at that early stage of the motor. That being said, where are you getting your oil changes? I ask because dealers are still running 5W-30 (or something like that) in these motors. I immediately switched to 5W-40 at the recommendation of the shop I take my car to (Andrewtech). Also, at 3,500 miles on that oil change, your oil looks black AF. I never go over 3,000 miles (I know some will think that's a waste, but #STIlife #hardknocklife), but I can't imagine another 500 miles would make the oil turn that black? Others?
It is really more of a crank case venting smell. I tracked it down to here:

More specifically here:

Was thinking of maybe wrapping that part with some tape or silicone to see if it goes away.

As for the oil, I use motul 5w30 8100 x-clean efe.

I think the pic is misleading, it is not that black in person.

I have a black stone test kit and plan on sending in an oil analysis to see if anything is going in internally.

·
Registered
367 Posts
you also have the valve cover breather tubes a little lower...i doubt they have been messed with but they are right there

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you also have the valve cover breather tubes a little lower...i doubt they have been messed with but they are right there
Yeah, i thought that too, that is one of the tubes that connect to the valve cover. The smell is very strong where the rubber meets the metal pipe. I may just throw some electrical tap round it and see what happens. I may also make a soap solution to see if i get any air bubbles around there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts