IW STi Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Meh, mine have been fine - pretty much excellent - never would have bought the STi if the prev WRX was not so good. . . . all cars have problems.

Reactions: Boilermaker128

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Did you do many mods to it? Were you diligent with maintenance? I know they’re not the best motors I’m just trying to gain knowledge of other people’s experiences with these motors. 2019+ in particular.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
No one has a lot of experience with 2019 anything.

That said they have't changed all that much in the last 20 years . . .

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
I have a 19 STI and mine burns through a quite a bit. About a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles. All I have is an AOS and a catback. Change oil every 3k, mostly use Motul 5w-40. I baby the sh*t out of it too. Makes me worry a bit as I should probably get a compression test soon. Currently at about 26k.
I hope you’ve contacted KillerB to get their thoughts on what you’re seeing. Did you see high oil consumption prior to installation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
can you run e85 with stock rails and lines with stock turbo? stock block? thats pretty much what im missing on my build. rails and lines.

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Yes, you can. I have 1050 injectors, Cobb flex fuel kit, Cobb fuel pressure regulator kit, AEM Pump. Intake, DP, KB Headers and that’s it. Technically you could do it without the flex fuel kit if you were going to run only E85, but I wouldn’t suggest it. E85 varies in some places so it would be better to have the ethanol sensor. Also, at some point, you’ll find yourself in a situation where there is no E85. That said, I love only pumped E85 for the last year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, you can. I have 1050 injectors, Cobb flex fuel kit, Cobb fuel pressure regulator kit, AEM Pump. Intake, DP, KB Headers and that’s it. Technically you could do it without the flex fuel kit if you were going to run only E85, but I wouldn’t suggest it. E85 varies in some places so it would be better to have the ethanol sensor. Also, at some point, you’ll find yourself in a situation where there is no E85. That said, I love only pumped E85 for the last year.
Here is my current mods. Already have Flex Sensor installed just no tune yet and thinking if should i do the IAG/cobb fuel rails and lines with it before i retune for e85.

Cobb Intake With Box
Cobb 1050x Injectors
Cobb Aem 340 F.Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator
Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor
Cobb EBCS
Grimmspeed Catted Downpipe
Grimmspeed V2 Heatshield
Cobb Air Oil Seperator
4th cylinder cooling mod
ETS Quiet Exhaust
Iwire Xseries Stealth Wideband

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Here is my current mods. Already have Flex Sensor installed just no tune yet and thinking if should i do the IAG/cobb fuel rails and lines with it before i retune for e85.

Cobb Intake With Box
Cobb 1050x Injectors
Cobb Aem 340 F.Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator
Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor
Cobb EBCS
Grimmspeed Catted Downpipe
Grimmspeed V2 Heatshield
Cobb Air Oil Seperator
4th cylinder cooling mod
ETS Quiet Exhaust
Iwire Xseries Stealth Wideband
You are good to go for E85. Adding rails will certainly help efficiency in the fuel system, but not required. This is one of those things that people are split on. There won’t be any major gains from this, but if your willing to dig back into the top end and you think you might go slightly bigger turbo, its a good idea. Also might as well do an upgraded inlet tube while your at it.

I talked with 6 different tune when I went to E85 and they were split 50:50 over needing rails. A good tuner can smooth out then fuel map with out them, but it you want to make sure the stumble will not be there, do rails and lines. My tuner was able to get me stumble free, without, and says the aftermarket rails aren’t really necessary at my level of mods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just to pitch in here. I have a 2019 STI (completely stock), and I don't burn oil to any significant degree. Only 6.7K on the car so far and on the third set of 5w-30 RC oil.

I have 2800 miles on the current oil, and added approximately 4oz to keep the level consistent with the initial fill.

Given how thin this oil is, the usage rate is better than I expected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You are good to go for E85. Adding rails will certainly help efficiency in the fuel system, but not required. This is one of those things that people are split on. There won’t be any major gains from this, but if your willing to dig back into the top end and you think you might go slightly bigger turbo, its a good idea. Also might as well do an upgraded inlet tube while your at it.

I talked with 6 different tune when I went to E85 and they were split 50:50 over needing rails. A good tuner can smooth out then fuel map with out them, but it you want to make sure the stumble will not be there, do rails and lines. My tuner was able to get me stumble free, without, and says the aftermarket rails aren’t really necessary at my level of mods.
Wow very well said! ive been taking to alot of people lately and i can agree that it is 50/50. seems like the OGs pretty much say i dont need it at all with stock turbo. Its something that its “good to have” but not to have until i upgrade the turbo. My tuner is saying if i can do it or afford it, why not.

What are your mods with stock rails and lines on e85? and how long have you been on it? thanks for your response.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have a 19 that uses perhaps 1q ever 5k.....guessing as I change the oil q 3kmi.....

Had a 996TT that I sold due to a host of gotchas like coolant tube issues (5k repair), boost leak (estimated 15h to find and fix min, probably 6k fix...plus a prior tranny fix....deal of only 5k...should have been 15k...etc.
That car used 1q every 1000k and Porsche said that was normal.....so my opinion is that on these forums people are just silly worried.....boxers use oil by the nature of the beast. It is not a big deal. Up to perhaps 1q per 1000 (mile or km depending on your freak out button's setting).

And why am on this car: a built engine is about 10k...that P car...50k.....and this is (on the street) plenty fun and has a 7y warranty to 100k......

Use good oil and common sense. I think Subaru is the sweet spot on the market for value/fun and am not looking back. It is nice to "not worry about it blowing up"....I have left it stock and it is fine. I like being able to floor it and NOT launch into the next county.....fun for a bit but after a while it makes the car not fun.....

They got it right stock. P car had about 600/600....full track mods...full. On the street it was too capable...driving it at 5/10ths would have put me in jail. At VIR it was nutty fast.Think gt2rs fast. I was nowhere near up to it in talent and I could do PCA solo....and to run track cost a fortune in consumables..... Happy to be back in a streetable car. I DD the sti and feel it is fully as much or more fun. Having fewer worries - priceless. Glad to be on this site. Nice posts and threads people, thank you for the help in advance.

jb

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
What are your mods with stock rails and lines on e85? and how long have you been on it? thanks for your response.
Cobb Downpipe
Cobb Catback
IAG AOS - Street
Cobb Boost Control Solenoid
Cobb 1050 Injectors
AEM Fuel Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Reg Kit
Cobb Flex Fuel Kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor Kit
Cobb Intake + Air Box
Killer B Holy Headers
Killer B Baffle
Killer B Oil Pickup

All the engine related mods.

The only additional mods I’d like to do are:
20G
Air Inlet
Upgraded TMIC

My tuner advised against the 20G unless I upgrade internals or plan for them as the life of my pistons would be short lived. Still not even sure I would upgrade rails for the above work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cobb Downpipe
Cobb Catback
IAG AOS - Street
Cobb Boost Control Solenoid
Cobb 1050 Injectors
AEM Fuel Pump
Cobb Fuel Pressure Reg Kit
Cobb Flex Fuel Kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor Kit
Cobb Intake + Air Box
Killer B Holy Headers
Killer B Baffle
Killer B Oil Pickup

All the engine related mods.

The only additional mods I’d like to do are:
20G
Air Inlet
Upgraded TMIC

My tuner advised against the 20G unless I upgrade internals or plan for them as the life of my pistons would be short lived. Still not even sure I would upgrade rails for the above work.
wow thats an amazing list! how long have u been on e85 with all those mods? and what year is your car?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
2018 STI. Been Flex tuned for about a year. Roughly 12,000 miles on this tune, with plenty of beatings.

car has roughly 25;000 miles. I installed Downpipe and custom tune at about 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2018 STI. Been Flex tuned for about a year. Roughly 12,000 miles on this tune, with plenty of beatings.

car has roughly 25;000 miles. I installed Downpipe and custom tune at about 5,000 miles.
wow nice! what mods do you have? and stock rails and lines?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Just got back home from a road-trip current mileage 16,500 & still does not burn a drop of oil. My last oil change was last month. I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic oil. Should I still get an IAG AOS installed based on the mileage?

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
AOS
Just got back home from a road-trip current mileage 16,500 & still does not burn a drop of oil. My last oil change was last month. I used Castrol Edge 5W-30 Advanced Full Synthetic oil. Should I still get an IAG AOS installed based on the mileage?
Technically, an AOS does not prevent burning oil. But, we are probably all talking about oil consumption, in general here. AOS is meant to catch and potentially recirculate blow by oil back into the crank case before it goes into your intake tract and dilute fuel/octane. Typical oil burn is from worn piston/rings/valve guides, etc... A young motor that has not been abused will not typically not burn oil. But our turbo cars can cause oil loss from excessive crank case pressure when high pressures in combustion chamber "blow by" pistons back into the crank case and force some oil to leak into the PVC system and move to the intake system.

You don't seem to be consuming any oil. So you are probably pretty gentle on the car, overall. If you plan to modify the car to run higher boost or plan to regularly push the car hard on canyons or track, you would definitely benefit from an AOS that recirculates back to the crank case. If using a version that catches excessive blow by, you will still loose oil, but it will be contained in a catch can vs. being pushed into the intake.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts