IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I just joined this site because I’ve noticed a lot of people go on forums to complain about their cars treating them badly. However, I’m not one of those people. I bought my 2019 STI last August with 9 miles on it from the dealer. For the first two thousand miles I broke it in properly (didn’t take it over 4k rpms and didn’t go into boost) and my car has been perfect. I warm it up properly every time I drive it, and let it cool down afterwards. It burns no oil and drives as it should. I drive it hard, but responsibly. Just wanted to add another positive story about the STI on here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
18 Sti w/ 20G - 400/400 on E85 at 20psi (20k miles on it). Total - 35k miles. No issues as well.

Actually 2 issues... I’m going into the dealership this week so they can replace my headlights (black plastic is burnt from the headlights moving) and my driver seat red bolster trimming is mad fading on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
same, still running goood for me too except rattles in left front stereo area & speedometer guage area which come and go. not too annoying as it doesn't happen daily

thinking of possibly trading in the car for a GTR though in the coming years for a new DD hmmmm... to GTR or not .... to keep the STI or not ... difficult decision

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
18 Sti w/ 20G - 400/400 on E85 at 20psi (20k miles on it). Total - 35k miles. No issues as well.

Actually 2 issues... I’m going into the dealership this week so they can replace my headlights (black plastic is burnt from the headlights moving) and my driver seat red bolster trimming is mad fading on me.

Wouldnt mind hearing the details of your build. I’m on E85 with stock turbo and talked with my tuner about running a 20G and he talked me out of it. Said if I was on 2019 internals, he would encourage it. Not like he refused, but said he would just expect it would be short lived and to expect to have to replace pistons and bearings much sooner than later if we were going to shoot for 400whp.

I’m also at 20PSI, but stock turbo runs out of breath pretty quick.

And to the OP, I’m not burning oil and loving the car as I currntly have it set up. But Im also running an AOS because I was paranoid about oil consumption and introducing it to the intake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
2018 owner here and I also have had zero issues with the car since ownership (bought the car new). I change the oil at the manual's recommended maintenance intervals. Granted, my car's stock but zero oil consumption or any issues from the engine. 👍

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wouldnt mind hearing the details of your build. I’m on E85 with stock turbo and talked with my tuner about running a 20G and he talked me out of it. Said if I was on 2019 internals, he would encourage it. Not like he refused, but said he would just expect it would be short lived and to expect to have to replace pistons and bearings much sooner than later if we were going to shoot for 400whp.

I’m also at 20PSI, but stock turbo runs out of breath pretty quick.

And to the OP, I’m not burning oil and loving the car as I currntly have it set up. But Im also running an AOS because I was paranoid about oil consumption and introducing it to the intake.
My go fast mods ...

IAG competition AOS
Cobb flex fuel kit
1050x cobb injectors
20G cobb turbo
Cobb fuel lines
Grimmspeed tmic
Perrin turbo inlet
Cobb intake
Invidia catless divorced DP

I’m coming from a built 2011 Sti with a 2.5xtr with all supporting mods which got 500/500 whp wtq on E85. I drove it like i stole it. That car was silly awesome for a DD and autox. I sold it for extra funds for my wedding. My new wife saw how miserable I was driving a normal car around so she said I can mod up a new Sti car again :). Such an awesome wife right ?! This time around I wanted something more stock ish and quiet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
same, still running goood for me too except rattles in left front stereo area & speedometer guage area which come and go. not too annoying as it doesn't happen daily

thinking of possibly trading in the car for a GTR though in the coming years for a new DD hmmmm... to GTR or not .... to keep the STI or not ... difficult decision
difficult indeed... the gtr is a completely different beast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2018 owner here and I also have had zero issues with the car since ownership (bought the car new). I change the oil at the manual's recommended maintenance intervals. Granted, my car's stock but zero oil consumption or any issues from the engine. 👍
Glad to hear that! :)

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
Maintained Turbo Subies don't normally burn oil till past 100Kmi unless they are driven very very hard. Then they can burn oil that they don't burn in normal driving. In such cases use of a thicker oil than stock (because it is being driven hard) and a AOS installation is indicated.

Reactions: RaptorBug

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Bought my 2019 STI brand new last year. Now I have 14,000 miles & change the oil every 3,500 miles. Doesnt even burn a drop. My car is stock only mod a bolt-on Catback exhaust. I use Castrol Edge Full Synthetic 5W-30.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 19 STI and mine burns through a quite a bit. About a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles. All I have is an AOS and a catback. Change oil every 3k, mostly use Motul 5w-40. I baby the sh*t out of it too. Makes me worry a bit as I should probably get a compression test soon. Currently at about 26k.

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
I have a 19 STI and mine burns through a quite a bit. About a quart every 1500 - 2000 miles. All I have is an AOS and a catback. Change oil every 3k, mostly use Motul 5w-40. I baby the sh*t out of it too. Makes me worry a bit as I should probably get a compression test soon. Currently at about 26k.
Something is isn't good even if SOA accepted it. Fix it? I'd start with incorreect AOS installation. Hopefully you don't need "an engine".

Reactions: RaptorBug

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I am close to 15,000 miles & doesn't burn a drop. I am ordering a IAG AOS for my STI. However, I am having a local reputable shop install the AOS for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
damn, that’s quite a lot. did you buy it new? Did you break it in yourself since VERY low miles (0-10 miles on it)? If not, do you know who the previous owner was and if they took care of it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
damn, that’s quite a lot. did you buy it new? Did you break it in yourself since VERY low miles (0-10 miles on it)? If not, do you know who the previous owner was and if they took care of it?
Bought it brand new. I was very anal about not going over 4K during the break in period. First oil change at 1500k and every 3k since. I get what seems like some type of oil residue on the top fitting of my Killer B AOS so who knows if that’s impacting anything. Plan on a compression test soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bought it brand new. I was very anal about not going over 4K during the break in period. First oil change at 1500k and every 3k since. I get what seems like some type of oil residue on the top fitting of my Killer B AOS so who knows if that’s impacting anything. Plan on a compression test soon.
darn. I’m sorry to hear that man. Keep me updated on how it goes. I’m guessing it might be partially “luck of the draw” on these cars on how they run / consume oil. :/

·
Registered
707 Posts
I hate to say it but the ej engine is crap. Many more people have had issues, myself included.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts