IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have previously owned a 02 WRX sedan and an 11 WRX hatch. Both vehicles were great in the snow.
Last month I purchased a 2019 STI and I absolutely love it. But.... we just got our first snow fall here and this thing is horrible! I have always ran all season tires and never had an issue with snow.
My driveway has a very slight slope to it and last night it maybe had an inch of snow. It was the only embarrassing moment I have ever had in a Subaru. Took me a good 5 minutes to pull in.
Am I the only one to have this issue?
Does anyone have advise or an explanation?
Your help is much appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Are you on stock tires? Or did you swap to no-seasons? If you're on stock tires or no-seasons, then that's the issue. Stock are summer tires and are entirely useless in winter weather.

You've got a brand new $40k car, so just bite the bullet and spend the $ to get a proper set of winter tires and wheels. Tire rack will sell you an 18" wheel/tire combo for <$1200 shipped. The cheapest winter tire will dramatically outperform the best no-season tire.

·
Registered
935 Posts
sounds like OEM tires

When we bought my wifes 2014 WRX new the dealership told me it had all-seasons on it.

So a couple days later it snowed, and I was like "this thing sucks in the snow. everyone told me Subarus are great in the snow"

Then I pulled the window sticker out and read the "high performance summer tires"

We bought winter tires that weekend, and then it was a tank in the snow

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hello all
I have previously owned a 02 WRX sedan and an 11 WRX hatch. Both vehicles were great in the snow.
Last month I purchased a 2019 STI and I absolutely love it. But.... we just got our first snow fall here and this thing is horrible! I have always ran all season tires and never had an issue with snow.
My driveway has a very slight slope to it and last night it maybe had an inch of snow. It was the only embarrassing moment I have ever had in a Subaru. Took me a good 5 minutes to pull in.
Am I the only one to have this issue?
Does anyone have advise or an explanation?
Your help is much appreciated

Thanks!
Are you saying that you have All-season tires on right now and the car does not deal with snow as well as your 02 and 11 WRX?

Or are you trying to drive on snow with stock Yokohama summer tires?

·
Registered
694 Posts
Are you saying that you have All-season tires on right now and the car does not deal with snow as well as your 02 and 11 WRX?

Or are you trying to drive on snow with stock Yokohama summer tires?
Honestly it doesn't even matter whether or not it had all-seasons or the summer tires on it. If you're having trouble in a half inch of snow -- it's a tire issue.

If you're on stock summer tires... switch to ones that can handle snow.
If you're on all-season tires and having trouble.... same answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was absolutely shocked at how horrible my 2019 was when I drove it home from the dealer on Monday.

Yesterday I went on tire rack and ordered 18" wheels and Blizzak's

the 19" snow tires they make for this car aren't great and most are sold out.. so your best bet is to find 18's that fit over the brakes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i have michellin PSS and did great in snow...one braking issue resolved by downshifting...scared wife accelerating up an icy/snowy hill to about 60 with no traction issues...had center diff locked too so may be the difference, this car i awesome! supervisors keep asking me if they can drive it lol!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to the Subi game and owning a turbo car. I got a 2019 sti and wanted to know which tires are the best for the Snow I live in nyc and don’t know if I should buy all-season tires or just winter tires?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Hey everyone, I am new to the Subi game and owning a turbo car. I got a 2019 sti and wanted to know which tires are the best for the Snow I live in nyc and don’t know if I should buy all-season tires or just winter tires?

i live in salt lake city and have a pair of wrx wheels with blizzak ws-80s for winter months and the OEM STi limited wheels with summers.

running all-seasons is a bad compromise. i recommend a dedicated set of summers and winters. blizzak ws-80s are solid for snow.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The worst winter tire is better than the best no-season tire, imo. So go with whatever's on sale. My blizzaks are little loud on dry/wet pavement, but have excellent snow and ice traction. Michelin X-ice might be a little nicer road manners, but no matter what brand a true winter tire will not let you down.

Also, an 18" wheel will clear 2018+ STI 6 piston brakes, in case you want to save some extra cash.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have michellin PSS and did great in snow...one braking issue resolved by downshifting...scared wife accelerating up an icy/snowy hill to about 60 with no traction issues...had center diff locked too so may be the difference, this car i awesome! supervisors keep asking me if they can drive it lol!
Please no fake news. Those tires are summer only. I've had them on past vehicle can't even move them out of the driveway in winter. You were driving on bare/good road for that to work at 60 uphill.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Please no fake news. Those tires are summer only. I've had them on past vehicle can't even move them out of the driveway in winter. You were driving on bare/good road for that to work at 60 uphill.
We got snow in May one year, so I was caught out on stock summer tires with just the slightest layer of slush on the roads. I moved my foot off the throttle and pressed the brake enough to maybe get the taillights to turn on and ABS kicked in haha

Not sure what that guy is smoking. Summer tires are suicide in snowy conditions.

·
Registered
275 Posts
that's a negative on fake news...I live in new mexico just outside of Albuquerque, when it snows it takes a while for the plow (at least feels like they only have one lol) to get to anything...was a good 3 inches of ish packed snow....I have the angry wife to prove it if needed lol! this year we even packed all the kids in the back...2 carseats and my oldest in the middle...other idea may be driver? I had my "learning" back in ~08 when NM, AZ,TX, CO all shut down due to how bad weather was, I had to drive 2001 civic manual trans 30 miles to work and I made it every day and wondered why people living just down the street couldn't make it in...sooo having awd with 3 limited slips makes it to where this car goes and goes well!!!! I think honestly it handles better on snow than on dirt...back end was coming out on dirt a little...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts