IW STi Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
The OPs desires are somewhat mutually exclusive. None will be more reliable than stock at stock power. few will have a longer life. Light weight assemblies aren't going to be the easiest to use in traffic. Perhaps some super high power ones gain some weight back for strength. My gut says not so much. They all feel different. Not sure where to drive em all to know what you like before hand - except perhaps at a track. Perhaps a show?

Suggestion: Spend the money on a CFDS.
It will have driveability benefits.
It will be more reliable than stock - and more repariable,
It will last the life of the car.
It will install in minutes without tearing the car apart.
It will cost less than an expensive clutch.

Don't use the "one" with balance issues.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the OP said he will be dealing with alot of city traffic. A puck clutch doesnt sound right for something like this but thats just my opinion. Once the OP has narrowed his selection down a bit, mayb he should try and see if he can go for a ride with someone that has that specific clutch. Shot in the dark but also nothing to lose lol.

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Some comments here:

Some comparison

I live in SJ and work in Bristol Pa. Pretty far, but OP can drive mine - Exedy Hyper single - the last clutch to choose for traffic. Seems very race oriented, not a lot of fine control. Was designed for fast shifting. Don't expect it will have the longest life either. It's built beautifully and is well made.

Cutches are tough to choose. Like tires, they are expensive and after install your kind of stuck with your choice for a long while unless money really is no object.

TBH I don't exactly understand the perceived importance of fine clutch control. Sure you need to be able to handle traffic and hills and you slip the clutch for drag starts. But, an STI is not a dirt bike where slipping the clutch is one of the most important tools in control and for example is often done at power on climbs to avoid downshifting. My objective in a car is to slip the clutch as little as possible. In fact I used to engine brake a lot more than I do now. Why? A few years ago my son asked why I do it. (He drove a Bugeye WRX at the time and He's a dirt bike racer, and a good mechanic too.) I didn't have a great answer, something about brakes. His comment was would you rather replace your clutch or brakes. I coast to lights and brake at the end a lot more than I used to. Except for racing, isn't most our goal in clutch use to get the job done with as little slipping as possible for the least wear?

Anyone think the OPs real issues are with the clutch delay valve or hill assist?
Modern STIs still have a delay valve, no?
Plenty of people complain about hill assist, something I have no experience with - yet :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sup everyone! I drive my car daily and im looking to upgrade my clutch. The car is stock in terms of power and I do ALOT of skilled spirited driving but I also deal with tons of city traffic. I may look for more power in the future but its not of concern at the moment. Is there anything out there that will give me oem feel but is much stronger and durable than the oem parts? I was looking into the ACT heavy duty street performance clutch kit but im unsure if im headed in the right direction. Any recommendations are appreciated especially from the people with personal experience on their upgrade? Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I have a daily driven 2005 STi, That I’ve put a little over 125,000 miles on. I’ve been running Cobb Stage II For the last few years, and Stage I up until then. I’ve done some road racing with the IRDC on a local road course, and a few dozen autocross races. I put some heavier adjustable Whiteline Sways on for the AutoX, but other than Stage II I’m pretty stock. I just had my clutch replaced with a new stock one, because the old one recently started slipping under full throttle in 5th and 6th. IMHO, it would be silly to put in an aftermarket clutch at 40K miles just because you can. There’s other better Bling for the buck if that’s what you're after...

21 - 24 of 24 Posts