IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I wanted to open up a discussion on the new 2019 California exhaust laws.
  • Do you know about anyone that's been pulled over yet? (Besides that video on Facebook).
  • If so, what were they running?
  • If you're modded, are you going to do anything with your car?

I found these snippets over on Nasioc discussing the new law.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wasnt a law passed that required the noise level to be determined at something like 1/3 the horsepower? I have only heard a few diesel trucks that got cited

·
Registered
832 Posts
Hey everyone. I wanted to open up a discussion on the new 2019 California exhaust laws.
The biggest change is that loud exhaust tickets are no longer "fix-it" tickets. Other than that, loud exhaust tickets have always existed.

I think is good. Rarely do I hear someone with a ridiculous exhaust these days. When I do hear one its someone that looks like the bums who do the street takeovers.
On the other hand, as a rider, my motos have always had slip-ons. I'll wait and see if enforcement is extreme. Though I've had zero issues before . Fart cans are louder than me and are almost whisper quiet when compared to d-bags in straight pipe harleys/crotchrockets

OP, don't worry too much. Unless you have a nameless exhaust with your stage setup

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hate that CA passed this...I'm currently running a stock STI with only the Remark muffler deletes.

I've been pulled over once for a modified exhaust (last year) but was let go due to knowing the right people lol.

I feel like my car isnt that loud, just deep....its not a fart can on a honda or a exhaust cutout on a 350z lol

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I hate that CA passed this...I'm currently running a stock STI with only the Remark muffler deletes.

I've been pulled over once for a modified exhaust (last year) but was let go due to knowing the right people lol.

I feel like my car isnt that loud, just deep....its not a fart can on a honda or a exhaust cutout on a 350z lol
Then you probably don't have to worry about it.

Somehow I doubt your car isn't that loud if you have muffler deletes though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest change is that loud exhaust tickets are no longer "fix-it" tickets. Other than that, loud exhaust tickets have always existed.

I think is good. Rarely do I hear someone with a ridiculous exhaust these days. When I do hear one its someone that looks like the bums who do the street takeovers.
On the other hand, as a rider, my motos have always had slip-ons. I'll wait and see if enforcement is extreme. Though I've had zero issues before . Fart cans are louder than me and are almost whisper quiet when compared to d-bags in straight pipe harleys/crotchrockets

OP, don't worry too much. Unless you have a nameless exhaust with your stage setup
I agree it's good that they are trying to get rid of the obnoxiously loud exhausts. I just hope they don't abuse it. I only have a Cobb catback right now, which I would assume is around 90ish dB. I hope I don't get pulled over because the officer "thinks" I'm over the limit. How in the world are their ears "trained" to discern a 5dB difference when it's already that loud? I just don't want to be bothered with wasting my time to see a ref to get it dismissed.

I had plans on going stage 2. I guess I'll have to do downpipe with the stock catback, or buy another aftermarket exhaust that's quiet to help with the exhaust flow.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Is that a thing? A quiet performance exhaust? My GD exhaust ia all Cobb, and itskind of loud. Its right at my personal limit, and I have been pulled over for it.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
My cars have always been relatively quiet. I can't stand driving a loud car, even on track. My S2000 drones, but I have had people tell me that there surprised how quiet it was going around the track at full throttle.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
happy i left that shithole, but i thought excessive noise has always been a reason for harassment in CA.. along with any other mod.

i got a ref ticket in my 07, but a little google searching and a tense few minutes in front of a judge got that thrown out.. i left soon thereafter.

you should be more concerned with civil asset forfeiture.. even with no evidence of a crime.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought a cheap dB reader off of Amazon (Yes, I know it's not certified) to see if I'm anywhere near the 95 dB limit. I only have Cobb catback exhaust right now. Measured from ~20" @3000 and @4500 RPMs. It spiked to 94 dB for a second then settled between 86-88 dB each time. Looks like I can relax a little for now.

I plan on keeping the dB reader in my glove box as sort of a challenge if I'm ever pulled over for my exhaust.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Is that a thing? A quiet performance exhaust? My GD exhaust ia all Cobb, and it pretty loud. It right ar my limit, and Zi gave been pulled over for it.
I had an SPT catback on my 450whp rotated 30R setup. The melon-launchers people put on these cars are basically worthless. Maybe a few hp difference.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just published yesterday:
Jalopnik - why people are suddenly freaking out; SB 1824 Exhaust Law, Explained

tl;dr
* What was legal in 2018 is still legal in 2019.
* There are no fix it tickets any more. Break the law, pay the fine.
* For reference the law states >95dB to earn a fine, "a Jaguar F-Type SVR receives a noise rating of 74 dB. And that has the loudest factory exhaust"

Borla, Cobb, Invidia, Perrin, TurboXS, other common exhausts in the subie market should all be fine. If you have a shitcan exhaust, ride the clutch around LEO or buck up and pay the fine.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
This has changed again. I just sold my removed SPT Catback to a guy who got a "fix-it" ticket for loud exhaust. I guess the governor pulled the fine portion of the new rules.

Still bullshit that you can be cited at the judgement of a police officer. In my opinion, they will continue to target cars that look modified, regardless. I think the more exterior modifications you have, the higher the risk. He was told that if he wanted to challenge the ticket, he would need to visit a referee. No one wants to take that option...

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
He was told that if he wanted to challenge the ticket, he would need to visit a referee. No one wants to take that option...
when you challenge a ticket, you dont go directly to a ref. First, you go to court - where you can win and have the ticket dismissed.

i got a ref ticket in CA and beat it in court. The cop was showed up, but he was no match for an executive order.

find one that closely matches your mod, print and give to judge. ;)

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Not sure what CARB compliance has to do with an excessive noise ticket. Since the police officers/Highway Patrol are not capable of proving/disproving modified exhaust that produces more noise than stock, it gets referred to a ref. Excessive noise can be had with a CARB compliant car.

I won’t argue that the laws suck, but the simple fact is that if your caught driving around like a dipshit in a loud car, they are going to tag you. You once again have an option to get it signed off if you can get the car quiet and looking like stock tailpipes.

Also not sure why you guys who do not live here, are ragging on what a shit hole it is. No one is asking you to come live here. I was born and raised in the Bay Area, as well as my wife. We are fortunate to be able to afford to live here and stay near our families. Someday, that might change. I’m certainly not going to talk shit about where anyone else lives, though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
We rag on it, because it is a shitty nanny state. Colorado has been getting an influx of Californians for years, and now we are adopting the same regulations as California where they make laws for loud exhausts but Harley's are still legal and louder than any stock exhaust or modified exhaust(minus straight pipe I guess).

Californian's move here and bitch about how California sucks, but then they vote for the same laws and regulations here and it just becomes mini Cali. If I wanted to live in California, I'd move to Cali.

Plus its fun.

Thread derailed succesfully

1 - 20 of 20 Posts