IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
We also have to consider the weight of the wheel. 19s are probably gonna be heavy unless subaru goes all out.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
We also have to consider the weight of the wheel. 19s are probably gonna be heavy unless subaru goes all out.

this is true, but if the previous statement about the 19" tires being lighter is true than it 's going to be a wash on the wheels, cant be more than a 1lb difference over the 18's most likely. Its not like they went from 17's to 19's. Seems like they chose the tires quite carefully with a relatively lighet weight designed tire and performance in mind, so most likely did the same with the wheels.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
this is true, but if the previous statement about the 19" tires being lighter is true than it 's going to be a wash on the wheels, cant be more than a 1lb difference over the 18's most likely. Its not like they went from 17's to 19's. Seems like they chose the tires quite carefully with a relatively lighet weight designed tire and performance in mind, so most likely did the same with the wheels.
What do the 18 oem wheels weigh? I know there's 2 kinds. I have the base which are heavier for winter and a 19 lb wheel for summer 18inch. The lightest 19 inch wheel on tirerack is 22.5lbs

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
What do the 18 oem wheels weigh? I know there's 2 kinds. I have the base which are heavier for winter and a 19 lb wheel for summer 18inch. The lightest 19 inch wheel on tirerack is 22.5lbs

not sure about the 18" wheel weights on the STI, I think I recall seeing 23.+ Lbs but not 100% sure. 19" isnt a big jump in size so its doubtful there will be a 1lb difference over the 18's

The reason is that not only is performance a consideration when they choose these parts but also keeping fuel economy from declining, so they arent going to put on parts that are so heavy that they hurt performance or fuel economy , they will want to improve these metrics if possible.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts

not sure about the 18" wheel weights on the STI, I think I recall seeing 23.+ Lbs but not 100% sure. 19" isnt a big jump in size so its doubtful there will be a 1lb difference over the 18's

The reason is that not only is performance a consideration when they choose these parts but also keeping fuel economy from declining, so they arent going to put on parts that are so heavy that they hurt performance or fuel economy , they will want to improve these metrics if possible.
OEM Enkei wheels are 24.25lbs each. I looked online to see how much of a difference there is between 18x8.5 and 19x8.5 aftermarket wheels. The answer is between 1 - 2.5lbs each. So, as blacknblue stated, the increase in weight would be negligble. Also have to take into account the larger rotor surface, etc. Realistically, weight has probably increased at each corner by about 2-3 pounds. Not a big deal.

There is additional weight placed into the car though, by other means. Thicker glass, sound deadening, etc. I'm guessing the weight of the car will have increased by ~50lbs, but that's speculation, of course.

In order for this new STI to ACTUALLY be faster, they need to have worked some magic in the drivetrain and suspension. I'm hoping they ditched the stupid terminal understeer inducing alignment, and given the car a proper setup to handle more neutrally. We will see.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
OEM Enkei wheels are 24.25lbs each. I looked online to see how much of a difference there is between 18x8.5 and 19x8.5 aftermarket wheels. The answer is between 1 - 2.5lbs each. So, as blacknblue stated, the increase in weight would be negligble. Also have to take into account the larger rotor surface, etc. Realistically, weight has probably increased at each corner by about 2-3 pounds. Not a big deal.

There is additional weight placed into the car though, by other means. Thicker glass, sound deadening, etc. I'm guessing the weight of the car will have increased by ~50lbs, but that's speculation, of course.

In order for this new STI to ACTUALLY be faster, they need to have worked some magic in the drivetrain and suspension. I'm hoping they ditched the stupid terminal understeer inducing alignment, and given the car a proper setup to handle more neutrally. We will see.
The 2014-2015 STI only gained on the order of 60Lb's with a LOT more changes and it dropped 8-9 seconds of the VIR E.T's from the previous gen. If its only 50lbs more than that is not enough to slow the car down, especially since the biggest changes are to the actual running gear on the car that have potential to lower track E.T's, not 9 seconds faster like we saw in the previous redesign but it could be an improvement of say 1-3 seconds(speculating here). Also the 2018 could actually end up being lighter in "base trim"(no heated seats/recaros) for example, and they have in fact deleted some parts in the diff(which can be heavy) and the front end. Subaru has been pretty good at balancing out weight in the STI as it has added technology and upgraded materials. It will be interesting that is for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can probably expect to start seeing them at dealers around June.
ok perfect ya sorry answered my own question reading back. that could work out for me i have another car ending on lease in May. But the decision im wrestling with is that the local dealer here has a loaded out 2017 for $36k. Probably wont get that kind of deal on the 18's

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to see a twin scroll turbo on a refreshed power plant, and 350 officially rated ponies. Shy of that my 2011 will suite me fine for the time being. The new STI's at the dealer do look awesome though.

·
Registered
32 Posts
they wont do it. its just like the same BS nissan just pulled. I get a new edition car then 2 years later they change front end and make interior nicer but nothing else and added $30k to the price tag..

·
Registered
617 Posts
Nah, I was going off the many many tests that stated that all the STI needs is stickier tires to get better handling when they ran it back to back against the Focus RS. So if better tires from the factory improve the handling than that alone would make it the best handling STI ever offered right off the showroom floor. Its not rocket science LOL, plus subaru said the changes improved handling and ride quality. So I don't know why some get their panties in a bunch about people agreeing it will handle and stop better than the current set up. Its more probable than not that it will be faster on a track than the current set up given the changes they made to the rubber, the center diff and the brakes. Also there is minimal to no weight gain in all likely hood. Its a better version than the current STI, period.
..... Am I talking to Trump? You just change what you're saying as if we cant all see your other posts and know what you said was wrong. :banghead:

·
Registered
617 Posts
2015-2017 STI OEM tire; 245-40R-18 Dunlop Sport Max RT

9.8" width , 23Lbs each

2018 STI OEM tire; 245-35-19 Yokohama Advan V105

9.7" width, 24Lbs each
um what? 245 mm = 245mm = 245mm = 245mm... how the heck are you thinking 245 mm = 9.8 inches then say 245 mm = 9.7 inches? I'm no rocket scientist... oh wait yes I am... but it doesn't take one to know that 245-35-19 and 245-40-18 both have a width of 245mm which equals 9.646 inches... not 9.8 inches or 9.7 inches.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
..... Am I talking to Trump? You just change what you're saying as if we cant all see your other posts and know what you said was wrong. :banghead:
Exactly. He will continously change his position to try and justify that Subaru is the absolute greatest manufacturer in the entire world and can do no wrong, and that this STI (which isn't out or has even been driven yet) is better than every other STI in every single way ppossible.

Spoiler alert: Newer does not always mean better. Nissan knows this pretty well, seeing how the GTR has been getting slower every year for the past 3 years (even with hp increases)

um what? 245 mm = 245mm = 245mm = 245mm... how the heck are you thinking 245 mm = 9.8 inches then say 245 mm = 9.7 inches? I'm no rocket scientist... oh wait yes I am... but it doesn't take one to know that 245-35-19 and 245-40-18 both have a width of 245mm which equals 9.646 inches... not 9.8 inches or 9.7 inches.
Actually, he's right here. 245 Yokohamas are not the same width as 245 Dunlops are not the same width as 245 Michelins. Those measurements he's giving comes from Tirerack, who pull the stats directly from each tire maker. Even though the tires are both 245, they are not actually the same width.

Some tires run wide, some run small. Some run short, some run tall.

·
Registered
723 Posts
another question i have is would these work with the new setup since its on 19"? Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2
You have to consider the width of the wheel in addition to the diameter. My guess would be no those tires would not fit on the stock wheel for a 2018 model, because the tires are 20mm wider than the stock tires. You might need to bump up to a "0.5-"1 wider wheel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Actually, he's right here. 245 Yokohamas are not the same width as 245 Dunlops are not the same width as 245 Michelins. Those measurements he's giving comes from Tirerack, who pull the stats directly from each tire maker. Even though the tires are both 245, they are not actually the same width.

Some tires run wide, some run small. Some run short, some run tall.
Also something to consider, sizes are not consistent within the same manufacturer. A 245 bridgestone RE71R won't be the same width as a 245 bridgestone RE050. Tire sizes are all across the board.

81 - 100 of 266 Posts