IW STi Forum banner

221 - 240 of 266 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got an email from Subaru with a VON and when I should expect my car to come.But it says I ordered an wrx even thou I ordered an STI.anyone order an sti got an email from Subaru saying that ordered a wrx or does it say STI?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got an email from Subaru with a VON and when I should expect my car to come.But it says I ordered an wrx even thou I ordered an STI.anyone order an sti got an email from Subaru saying that ordered a wrx or does it say STI?
Mine is the same. It's because STI is a trim level of the WRX.

What is your estimated delivery date?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is the same. It's because STI is a trim level of the WRX.

What is your estimated delivery date?
Ahh okay thank you,mine is apparently last week of August.
But I ordered mine from Heuberger and Thomas said i should get it around June.
I heard they are making the WRB first.i ordered the CWP STI.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I do find it odd though they dont do anything power wise as generations of this platform go on. Look at GTR started at 480 and now the current one i have comes with 600. my first mod will be dropping the motor.
They simply haven't had to IN crease the horsepower a lot to sell STI's, because there are hardly any other cars in its price range that can accelerate 0-60 in 4.6 seconds, run the 1/4 in 13.10's at 105 Mph and top 160 MPH and do that in an all wheel drive compact sedan platform with exceptional handling braking and safety, the EVO was/is the car in the price range that had everything the STI did in the price range.
So Subaru hasn't had to stress getting more horsepower under the hood and instead improved the rest of the car with each generation and it is working very well for them.

To get a car with a marginally significant advantage in the metrics we are discussing one needs to get an additional 5g's ++, out of their wallets and also give up the all wheel drive mechanical diffs, and the 4 door sedan design and start looking at 2 door coupes with rear drive and 400+ horsepower V8's. Then it's not even in the same category of car basically and not as user friendly as the all weather drive in any conditions anywhere STI advantage where the performance is more use able in any conditions. There really aren't any cars in the STI'S price range that provide all that utility, let alone the stellar resale ,reliability ,and endless performance aftermarket supply of performance parts that allow one to do anything they want to the STI. Subaru keeping the STI at 305 horsepower was actually a no brainer for them, the car basically cost the same as it did in 2004 even with all the other changes, so I don't see much changing in the price range, maybe if their is a new engine it will get a horsepower increase, but again why? Just mod the ej wi th a 3" downpipe and tune and it is all it needs.

As for the GTR.........https://www.carthrottle.com/post/camaro-z28-vs-nissan-gt-r-track-battle-proves-america-can-corners/

The GTR needed the horsepower increases because car s in its price range and even less money were chewing at its heals, like the Z28, gt500's, CTSV's and twin turbo CTX, it has a lot of alternatives in its price range,, etc etc, and now the domestic pony cars are about to push the envelope even further with 700-800+ horsepower track monsters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I finally got to hope into a 2018 wrx RS here in Canada and the recaros are nearly as aggresive pain to climb past which is really nice. I didn't ask about the sti's but the Dealer I went to is expecting a couple of wrx rs (usa sport package) is 5 to 6 weeks away as they are on the boat now.

I am really only interested in a sport tech sti with the lip trunk which is finally an option for the sporttech model and no more full leather seats which is awesome

Srry I forgot to take pics. Disappointed with the wrx the car I sat in and started was an extremely sloppy shifter and was worse than my 2015 wrx I did get a few documents of MSRP no dealer cost and the exact changes for 2017 but super secret stuff unfortanely.

I didnt realize at least in canada the sport and sporttech STI's get red Seat belts which is bizzare/ neat as everything under a $80k just has black seat belts so porsche-ish

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I do find it odd though they dont do anything power wise as generations of this platform go on. Look at GTR started at 480 and now the current one i have comes with 600. my first mod will be dropping the motor.
To be fair, the one in 2009 cost $75,000. The one you have is literally twice the price.

Event the base model now runs $110,000. The price has increased by ~40% over the past decade.

STI price hasn't really moved since it came to the US. I would totally welcome more power, so long as the rest of the chassis handles it properly. That means the price will go up. 35-40k is fine.

If it starts wandering towards 50k though, that's an issue.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
To be fair, the one in 2009 cost $75,000. The one you have is literally twice the price.

Event the base model now runs $110,000. The price has increased by ~40% over the past decade.

STI price hasn't really moved since it came to the US. I would totally welcome more power, so long as the rest of the chassis handles it properly. That means the price will go up. 35-40k is fine.

If it starts wandering towards 50k though, that's an issue.
The GTR is an amazing car, no doubt about it, but.....

Wow I had no idea they went up that much in price, but it does indicate they had to do a lot to the car since it made its debut here, because cars that it directly competes with, over the past 5 years have been getting amazing performance numbers for less cost, the STI doesn't really have a direct competitor that costs less that can outperform it's acceleration and total package performance, and that's what I was trying to get at. The Hellcat and Demon are the beginning of the next level of what is coming from domestic performance cars, by 2020 there will probably be a few pony cars available with 1000 horsepower from the factory and 700+ horsepower will be more common than it is now.....they are expensive as well as exclusive though. If they start adding electric motors to the wheels of these monsters to supplement the high horsepower gas engines it's going to be nuts..1000+ horsepower factory supplied muscle cars

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The GTR is an amazing car, no doubt about it, but.....

Wow I had no idea they went up that much in price, but it does indicate they had to do a lot to the car since it made its debut here, because cars that it directly competes with, over the past 5 years have been getting amazing performance numbers for less cost, the STI doesn't really have a direct competitor that costs less that can outperform it's acceleration and total package performance, and that's what I was trying to get at. The Hellcat and Demon are the beginning of the next level of what is coming from domestic performance cars, by 2020 there will probably be a few pony cars available with 1000 horsepower from the factory and 700+ horsepower will be more common than it is now.....they are expensive as well as exclusive though. If they start adding electric motors to the wheels of these monsters to supplement the high horsepower gas engines it's going to be nuts..1000+ horsepower factory supplied muscle cars
GTR is definitely a cool car. My Dad has a 2015, and we have a few family friends with them as well, some of which compete in Nissan Challenge and GTA. They're quick, but they're expensive... especially when you start talking about taking them to the track. They're just a different class of car, so naturally that comes with a different class of price tags.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
They are cheap "supercar" from factory compared to other supercars but their maintenance cost is higher than most other supercars. Not that it matters to supercar owners.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If you want AWD Turbo 4 cylinder Sedan with much more power for close price to Limited sti then get cla45 amg
It runs 12.x quarter mile and price is about 48-50k

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
If you want AWD Turbo 4 cylinder Sedan with much more power for close price to Limited sti then get cla45 amg
It runs 12.x quarter mile and price is about 48-50k
Image Link
A base 2018 STI is still about 10-14g's less. That AMG is also not full time all wheel drive, and an STI modded to that same power would run a lot faster than high 12's...heck a 3" downpipe and tune would more than make up for the gap in e.t's to that 375 horse AMG. But it just confirms what I was saying....you need to open your wallet and spend 5G's or more to find something that can beat the STI, $ for $, there is nothing in the price range that gets you what the STI does in total package, the AMG is a prime example of a car that costs a good deal more to get similar set up, but not quite the same heavy duty drivetrain with mechanical full time all wheel drive diffs, the EVO was the only other car that was real competition. that's the point

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The AMG is going to be a SIGNIFICANTLY nicer car, no matter how you spin it. No fanboi's needed.
I had a chance to drive one on track along side the TTS and BMW M2 during its launch. One of my perks for working for BMW.

The AMG was ok. Seats and steering wheel were nice. Ride was decent and it made cool noises. Lots of low end grunt too. From a driving dynamics perspective, I didn't really care for it. I thought the Audi TT was much better and the M2 was better than both by a landslide.

None of them were bad cars. They just all do different things really well and other things not quite as well.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I had a chance to drive one on track along side the TTS and BMW M2 during its launch. One of my perks for working for BMW.

The AMG was ok. Seats and steering wheel were nice. Ride was decent and it made cool noises. Lots of low end grunt too. From a driving dynamics perspective, I didn't really care for it. I thought the Audi TT was much better and the M2 was better than both by a landslide.

None of them were bad cars. They just all do different things really well and other things not quite as well.
M2 slurp slurp slurp

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
The AMG is going to be a SIGNIFICANTLY nicer car, no matter how you spin it. No fanboi's needed.
You guys are insane lol...the cla45 starts at 50,875,(2017) and exceeds 60,000 with options.....try and stay on topic please, I know it's hard ....but my point was that the STI's closest competitor is/was the EVO and that there aren't any other cars close to the Evo and the STI relative to how they are engineered in their price range, and the performance numbers they put down that would have caused subaru to have a reason to increase the horsepower.

AGAIN...there are similar cars now but you have to get at least 5g's more from you wallet, to get an "STI like" setup and there isn't anything for less than 35,000 equipped like an STI, with the performance stats of an STI.

We are not debating whether a 50 to 60+g luxury euro sled is a nicer car lmfao..

·
Super Moderator
8,514 Posts
There's no point in going back and forth with you. You have the largest-tiny hard-on for the STi that you can't see past it.

It's a pretty valid comparison when you consider how much money is thrown into these cars immediately. It's pretty common to see 2015+ STi's with built motors in them. Additionally, considering what most people use these cars for, there are options out there that compare and are much nicer. LOLROFLLMAO... blah, blah.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
There's no point in going back and forth with you. You have the largest-tiny hard-on for the STi that you can't see past it.

It's a pretty valid comparison when you consider how much money is thrown into these cars immediately. It's pretty common to see 2015+ STi's with built motors in them. Additionally, considering what most people use these cars for, there are options out there that compare and are much nicer. LOLROFLLMAO... blah, blah.
No no.....a couple of us were talking about the validity of subaru not increasing the horsepower of the STI because in its price range there arent any direct competitors with 4 doors turbo 4 and full time all wheel drive that hit 60 in 4.6 seconds, quarter mile in 13.10's at 105 and top 160 MPH and brake and handle as well, A G A I N...in the price range of $35,000.

People like you take these threads off topic whenever this FACT comes up, because you cant come up with cars that we are talking about to counter the FACT being brought up about there being no other cars like the STI except the EVO, and that somehow makes someone a "fanboi", and then will typically throw out, an 50-80,000 MSRP car like the CLA45, some have even dared to say the M5 etc etc.....I mean its friggen H I L L A R I O U S, that you clowns have convinced yourself of this whacky math that a 50-80 thousand dollar Euro sled is in the same price range as a 35,000 STI. Please just stop with the straw man B.S. and and accept it.

221 - 240 of 266 Posts