IW STi Forum banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Re: 2018 WRB STI Limited - Scoobie the Protuned Hedgehog

What made you go with Turn in Concepts over Kartboy?
I wanted to keep the stock shifter height. The shifts are shorter and more precise, but the knob is right where I expect it to be.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quick question! Did your car originally come with the STi Short Shifter from the factory? How does the Turn in Concepts SS compare in terms of slop in gear? My car has the STi SS installed from the factory and in between each gear, there's significant amount of "wiggling." Is there a way to reduce this? (I'm coming from a mildly modified BRZ, where I had a SS, MTEC Springs and a transmission mount installed)

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

Quick question! Did your car originally come with the STi Short Shifter from the factory? How does the Turn in Concepts SS compare in terms of slop in gear? My car has the STi SS installed from the factory and in between each gear, there's significant amount of "wiggling." Is there a way to reduce this? (I'm coming from a mildly modified BRZ, where I had a SS, MTEC Springs and a transmission mount installed)
I debated about getting the factory short throw, but with the price and many people telling me it wasn't worth it I decided to hold out for aftermarket. You'll get a shorter throw and much less the cost.

As far a wiggling, I still have some, not sure how it compares to stock, but the overall shift is much more solid with the short throw and the shifter bushings. Not sure if there's a way to get rid of all the wiggling in gear.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #65 (Edited)

I noticed I didn't get a picture up of the Beatrush Trans Mount: here it is pre-install:

I haven't gotten a chance to get under the car post-install, but here is what the new pitch stop looks like:

So, what does it feel like? What does it sound like? Yes, there are new vibrations, and I have to give it some extra gas on first gear take offs to prevent the whole car from shaking, though that has gotten better with some time as things have broken in. There is more engine noise in the cabin now. The NVH is very subjective, for me it's not that big of a deal and I actually really like it.

With this car, the stock exhaust is much quieter than my previous STI (has the SPT right from the start) so I can definitely hear more of the engine noise this time around. It sounds great, much more of a race car sound with the boxer grunt really amplified.

The feel and responsiveness of the drivetrain now is so much better. The car feels much more peppy not that more of the power is going directly to the wheels and not getting absorbed with sloppy mounts. There's no more alight ramp up for acceleration, it just goes now. For me the sounds and feels great, she's now ready for more power.

Next up, probably a lot of pictures of pipes :lol:

·
Registered
55 Posts

I debated about getting the factory short throw, but with the price and many people telling me it wasn't worth it I decided to hold out for aftermarket. You'll get a shorter throw and much less the cost.

As far a wiggling, I still have some, not sure how it compares to stock, but the overall shift is much more solid with the short throw and the shifter bushings. Not sure if there's a way to get rid of all the wiggling in gear.
Thank you for the reply! Does your Turn In Concepts Tallboy Short Shifter rattle when you rev the car out to redline?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #67

Thank you for the reply! Does your Turn In Concepts Tallboy Short Shifter rattle when you rev the car out to redline?
I mostly hear transmission whine, but occasionally a rattle. It comes from the reverse lockout handle. I think I've only noticed it rattling 2-3 times over the summer, nothing major.

We'll see how many things rattle once winter comes :lol:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

I'm back! There wasn't really much going on with the STi over the Fall, but Winter has been fun so far:

Oh, I've also began to collect more mods. More on that soon.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #69

So this should be the year I get the Stage 3 FlexFuel build done. I've almost acquired all the air-flow upgrades for this, and will soon turn my attention to fueling. Here's what I got so far:

Some Killer B ELHs

Nameless catback exhaust (4in tips, no mufflers :D)

Invidia downpipe (catted)

And an AEM cold air intake

The intake is interesting for the 2018+ STis; they moved it out of the fender to be more in the engine bay. Not sure what changed in the front bumper area for them to need to do that. Lol, it's not like the 2018s have brake cooling ducts that go all the way to the front brakes.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
It finally happened. Got all the parts put on and the tune done. The final numbers are

The baseline was:
271.12 WHP
312.05 WTQ

Tuned with 93 octane:
289 WHP
316 WTQ

Tuned with ethanol (e72 per the sensor)
327 WHP
368 WTQ

Here's the new engine bay

Here are the dyno graphs

More information and a review to come, once I get a slight tune issue resolved... oh, and I need new tires because I ran over something and it murdered one of my tires yesterday 😭

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Got some fresh summer tires on, since I ran over something that totally destroyed my front-passenger tire while trying to not run over a turtle (that turtle better be living it's best life now).

So now for an update on my faster a louder STI. First off I love love love the Namesless exhuast. It fills out the back-end perfectly:
Before (stock):

After (4" tip nameless):

It looks great and it also sounds great too:

61 - 72 of 72 Posts