IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to my 2018 STI build thread. This is my 2nd STI, had a 2013 before: 2013 WRB STI Sedan

Although upgrading before the STI got a new engine wasn't my first choice, I'm happy I was able to get a 2018 instead of a 2017. The front bumper looks so much better, plus Recaro-ish seats finally. Here are some pics of the car in stock form, won't be stock long :D

Attachments

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: 2018 WRB STI Limited - Scoobie the Hedgehog Returns!

- Mods Index -

Engine & Drivetrain
Beatrush Engine Mounts - Post 65
Beatrush Forged Pitchstop Mount - Post 48
Beatrush Transmission Mount - Post 65
Perrin Pitch Stop Brace Kit - Post 48

AEM Cold Air Intake - Post 69
Fuku Turbo Inlet
Invidia Uppipe
Invidia Downpipe - Post 69
Killer B Equal-length Headers - Post 69
Nameless Cat-Back Exhaust - Post 69
Torque Solution Air Pump Delete Kit
IAG TGV Deletes

Cobb 1050 cc Injectors
Cobb Ethanol Sensor Kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure Regulator Kit
Cobb Fuel Pressure Sensor Kit
Cobb Fuel Rails
Cobb Fuel Rail Line Kit
Cobb Fuel Rail to Flex Fuel
AEM High Flow Fuel Pump

Suspension & Handling
Well see how she feels after the Stage 3 build

Brakes & Wheels
Mach V Stainless Steel Brake Lines - Post 58
Perrin Brake Master Cylinder Brace - Post 58

Interior
TiC Tallboy STi Short Throw Shifter - Post 58
Kartboy Shifter Bushings - Post 58
Raceseng Slammer Shift Knob - Post 58

Exterior & Misc
Hella Horns: Sharptones and Supertones with the Subimods Quad Bracket - Post 13
Rally Armor Mud Flaps - Post 14
Subaru JDM LED Bezel - Post 15
Thule Cross Bar Set - Post 52

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

2013 STI vs. 2018 STI

It's hard to compare my old 2013 STI and the 2018 STI stock for stock. After one day of driving, I can say the 2018 is far superior. Obviously there is the handling, but also the 2018 has such a nicer build quality. Mind you, I am comparing a base 2013 to a Limited 2018.

Handling
The 2018 does feel very similar to my 2013 STI, after $5k of suspension mods. My 2013 was far from stock, and getting a new stock STI with the same raw feel I gave my 2013 is fantastic. The ride quality is stiff, which I appreciate. I like the raw, almost jarring feel of the suspension over the roads in Northern Virginia. It feels a bit stiffer than my modded 2013, probably due to the stiffening occurring at the frame rather than at the bushings.

Engine
Same old engine. Meh, to me it's not a big deal. I liked the way my stage2+ELH 2013 STI felt, as far as torque and responsiveness, so I'm happy with what can be done with the EJ still. Stock for stock the new engine feels more rev happy, probably the updated ECU for the 2015+. It's able to move the weight increase of the 2018's pretty well. I don't really feel any difference between the 2017 I test drove and the 2018.

Interior
Like the Recaros, lol still not bolstered enough but better than the 2013 by a mile. The overall finish is excellent. The main reason I got the limited was for the Harman Kardon sound system. So much better than the 2013, I was worried about not having the kicker sub, but the HK sub does great.

Exterior
I actually like the new World Rally Blue paint compared to the older 2013 paint. The color is slightly deeper and more rich. The neon calipers work so will with the WRB. Just updating the front bumper has made the look of this car that much more aggressive in the front. I'm glad I was able to get the 2018 instead of a 2017. Also like that the wing is slightly taller than the 2013, it doesn't divide the rear window as much as it did in the previous generation.

Overall I am this car is a great base for modding, much better than the 2013 was. I could live with this car being stock, way more than I could have with the 2013, but what fun is there in staying stock :devil:

·
pwn n00bs
18,215 Posts

nice pickup!
so as far as paint goes, I am fairly confident the WRB is the same from introduction of the car into the states? I don't think they have updated it, but you could be right.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

nice pickup!
so as far as paint goes, I am fairly confident the WRB is the same from introduction of the car into the states? I don't think they have updated it, but you could be right.
Thanks man. So to make sure I'm not going crazy, I looked it up lol. The GR/GV generation has the paint code 02C for WRB. The VA generation's WRB paint code is K7X.

·
pwn n00bs
18,215 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts

Glad to hear you're back in an STI! Did you manage to collect any parts off of the GR after the accident?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Glad to hear you're back in an STI! Did you manage to collect any parts off of the GR after the accident?
No, there were many lessons learn from the accident. I couldn't collect any parts without replacing them with stock parts, which I kept none as I modded.

For modding this one, I'm going to keep everything, just incase I need to go back to stock. I'm also going to have the engine bolt-ons added to my insurance policy just in case.

I'll be collecting a fresh set of mods for the new STI, lol I already have a pile of boxes in my livingroom for this Saturday.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

And the mods are?!
For this weekend, it will mostly be exterior mods. I'll post pictures.

I have 3 phases of batch mods I want to do. Phase 1 will be a stage 1 protune, along with motor/tranny mounts, and short throw shifter with bushings.

Phase 2 will be big. My goal is to get the new engine to the Stage 2+ build I had on the old STI in one fell swoop.

Phase 3 will be doing a little tightening up of the suspension. Most likely an upgraded rear sway bar, some bushings, and braces.

I want to get Phase 1 done this year, but we'll see. The protune will be done asap, lol immediately after break in and when Cobb released the new STI maps.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So this weekend I got some mods in, two of which required removal of the front bumper:

I find the shape of the windshield wiper fluid hilarious, but they got the most out of that space behind the bumper lol

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

First up was some Hella horns, went from one horn in the front:

To the quadzilla, a combination of the Supertones and the new Sharptones:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Then I put on some mud flaps:

I went with the dark gray this time around instead of the red, figured with blue and neon green the car had enough colors lol.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Finally, my favorite mod of the weekend:

These JDM LED Bezels are what that area of the bumper needs, lol if not fog lights

It's such a good look, plus you can barely see the Hellas, Hellas are for hearing not seeing in my book lol.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Got the STI professionally waxed today

Before:

After:

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Can you post a night pic with fogs on?
Sure, these are just an LED DRL not an official fog light. Here's a iPhone pic. I need to get a better set of pics with a better camera:

They're pretty bright, especially from the side. I currently have them wired to the side markers, per the awesome post by ajsti24. This means they only come on when the parking/headlights come one.

I'm probably going to play around and see if I can hook directly into the DRLs to sync them up and see how that looks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

TGIF:

Hit the 1k point last night. Did some pulls, feels like there is less frontal lift than the stock 2013 STI. It's getting an oil change and an alignment right now, so this weekend I'm going to play with her and see how she handles under more spirited driving:D

·
Registered
85 Posts

Congrats on the new ride. The updated front end does look awesome. Those DRL bezels really do add a nice touch too. Happy modding

1 - 20 of 72 Posts