IW STi Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, my car is sorted now and absolutely everything that was bothering me has disappeared. Below is the work done on my car by the shop I chose. I'm not making recommendations for setup or arguing any points, but this is what they did and the car is amazing in a way I could not imagine.

I was not able to get an appointment with my "preferred shop" for over 2 weeks, so I started looking through YELP and talking with some of the people in my community who own sports cars, a few who I know do trackdays and one who owns a full race 993. I asked about a shop called BRR Racing that is in my home town, but was a little skeptical of because they appear to specialize in European cars. A few people said that they have worked with BRR and had nothing short of excellent experiences. Couldn't find a single negative review, but they are pricey. My neighbor with the race dedicated Porsche said they were amazing with his car, but very expensive.

I'm not made of money, but I wanted confidence in who I was going to have look at my issues. I had an hour long chat with the owner of the shop and it was clear to me that I was in the right hands and that he was not going to give me the car back until he was satisfied with how it was handling. He, as well as 3 other shop owners I spoke with were adamant that I was wasting time and money worrying about corner balancing on a primarily street driven car, so I agreed not to chase this when I made the appointment.

I dropped the car off early this morning and threw the key in the early bird slot. Bruce called me after they had a chance to drive the car and he agreed that the car felt unsettled when driven and that to him, it was coming from the rear. Later he called me again after they did a full inspection of the suspension setup and measurements. He said that the ride height of the right rear coilover was 1/2" higher that the other (previously corner balanced). The camber was slightly mismatched to my previous alignment claims and the toe settings did not match the previous shops printout. While they claimed 0 toe around the car, he found that front was slightly toed out, unequally and the rear was toed in, fairly equal. He was not entirely convinced that the alignment mismatches and the error in ride height was the smoking gun, but regardless, it needed to be corrected with another test drive before chasing anything else down.

He called me a few hours later and said my car was ready to be picked up and that he, personally, was very happy with how it was behaving. The final work being his alignment specs and the ride height correction. I also asked him to rotate tires and re-balance as the new wheel/tire combo had about 4-5K on them.

I gave him carte blanche to choose alignment specs and this is the setup he put in the car.

Front:
-2.2 Camber Left and Right
0.1 Degrees Toe In Total

Rear
-1.6 Camber Left and Right
0.3 Degrees Toe in Total

Driving the car home, I was floored how everything I was not liking has completely gone away. Even the harshness that was just pinning my spine disappeared. I could throw into a corner at speed and the car was just glued and calm. I'll need to get a long spirited drive in to put it through the paces, but right now I'm really happy with how the car is behaving. It sucks how much money I spent today, but I can't argue the results of this shop. Ultimately, I can't afford to pay this much to have regular alignments and wheel balancing, but they have me as a customer when I need solutions.

·
Registered
384 Posts
direct from Ohlins manual for va/grb: "the standard preload is 2 mm frm a free length of 200mm giving 198 mm installed length" "with both the preload and height adjustments in their standard positions, the vehicle is lowered aproximately 20mm for the GRB/GRF models and 25 mm for the VAF model when compared to the original suspension"

the preload is to keep tension on the spring to prevent the shock or spring from doing whatever they want, when paired correctly you have a nice ride, thus why even stock suspension is held compressed. I personally get it a little more as i like the idea that the spring takes the bumps and i have had a really nice ride...wife, who normally complains about all the things in my sti an other modded cars, didnt notice any difference even when pointing them out to her

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The preload is 2mm front and rear.
Ah yes. You, of course, are correct. I went back and looked through the manual. I now remember this being a measurement I checked multiple times. I took the actual measurement of the spring and subtracted 2mm, instead of using the fixed length number they suggested in the manual. I also went back and verified/readjusted preload after a few thousand miles of driving, expecting the springs would settle in. I was surprised to find they did not sag in much at all.

Thanks
Erik

·
Registered
384 Posts
its really awesome to see that spring technology, i remember being amazed when i did the powered by max coils on my FC too! was a little disappointed that they dont make em for my GR but the Ohlins are nice too!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts