IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stage 2 plus, protuned 2018 sti soon to be stage 3. My girlfriend wants the ride to feel smoother. She says my car rides like a lumber wagon. Lmao! I was wondering what I could do to improve the ride. It's my DD and I have a rear sway bar. Stock wheels and tires (at least in the summer).

Seems like my only option is to spend lots of money on coilovers or air suspension shit.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I agree with the above. What is it that you want to improve on the car? Keep in mind, this is an STI and not a luxury sedan so you arent going to get that kind of ride quality if that what you're looking for.

Before spending any real money on parts, have an alignment done. Ive found that an alignment can greatly change the way the car drives especially if things are out of spec once its put on the rack.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Performance parts won't make your car ride better. Ditch her- or the car?

My wife hates my STi. Course its' ride is not close to as comforatable as a stock one. She complains passengers shouldn't have to death grab the exit aid in turns, and will about jump out if I get on it. We use her car and mostly she drives.

Check to see if WRX suspenson parts will fit?
Get a second car.
Air shocks? They are avaialbe. I have no clue as to ride.

Reactions: Scargo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fill the trunk with boards, and then it'll make sense to her.

18" wheels help a little but really just enough to take the edge off. You can always try to comment on roads getting rough and our failing infrastructure to shift the blame as much as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Yes on the 18 wheels - with touring tires - - I should have listed that - and I beleive thats where you should start - cause you can take em off to actually drive . . . and if you are happy with them - then just trade for a WRX for more softer.

Hmm - maybe a trade should be first - cause if the ride in an STI concerns you, you really are in the wrong car in many ways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a stage 2 plus, protuned 2018 sti soon to be stage 3. My girlfriend wants the ride to feel smoother. She says my car rides like a lumber wagon. Lmao! I was wondering what I could do to improve the ride. It's my DD and I have a rear sway bar. Stock wheels and tires (at least in the summer).

Seems like my only option is to spend lots of money on coilovers or air suspension shit.
Going to an 18" wheel and tire set up will definitely lighten the feel up a bit. The older WRXs and STIs never had 19" wheels. I had the same issue on my 16 Focus RS as well, 19 tires with a 35 sidewall will make grandma's dentures come out.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Upgrade to Bilsteins. They actually ride better than the stock STI shocks and the handling is also improved.

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
They don't they come with stiffer than the non-Bilstien stock springs?

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Then buy beware - no offense - but online I could point people to that statement for most every popular performance suspension and they all start with stiffer springs. I've DD driven two. I didn't believe the guy who sold me T2s when he told me that :) :) :) was a real silent chuckle.

That said, the Bilstiens have a chance - they are better and only marginally stiffer . . . I would start with the 18s, with all season touring tires - and you can use em for mild winter, or even put real winter tires on em- and still change em out once in a while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
These are all things that would probably make improvements noticeable to STI drivers, but could just be a lot of money for the girlfriend to still hate the car... My wife can kind of tell the difference between the 19" stock summer and 18" winter tire setup, but the difference is with one set of wheels she doesn't really like the car, and with the other set of wheels... still doesn't like the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My girlfriend wants the ride to feel smoother. She says my car rides like a lumber wagon.
You've already lost the battle.
She already dislikes the car and what changes you might make that might change the ride slightly are not going to resolve the issue.

You are going to have to come to some compromise with her being in the car and you going " Stage 3 " is going to make the matter worse.

Not trying to rain on your parade but speaking from experience as other's here have already stated as well.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Performance parts won't make your car ride better. Ditch her- or the car?

My wife hates my STi. Course its' ride is not close to as comforatable as a stock one. She complains passengers shouldn't have to death grab the exit aid in turns, and will about jump out if I get on it. We use her car and mostly she drives.
Why does my 74 year old wife feel the same way? Can hardly get her to ride in it. It's legal but she says it's too noisy and if I jump on it she goes ballistic. However, I do love driving her 440i X. She's more forgiving in it. I say things like, "see how it goes around the corner like it's on rails!"

·
Premium Member
5,601 Posts
Story: In 2015 when my car was first built I made it a rule to accelerate in every turn. One night on a rare occasion my wife was in the car and I was going to get off of the expressy via a long turning ramp. I coasted off not really breaking. She said "you really trust this car don't you" It was the nicest thing and the only nice thing she ever said about my STI, and I couldn't reply that she had no idea of how I'd have taken that ramp if she weren't in the car . . .

On topic: I agree with she may never be happy but if you want to try:
1) Loose the sway bar - immediately - this is an act of good faith :)
2) WRX suspension uhhh, including WRX bars front and rear. It will fit? If so way softer than anything else.
3) the 18s wheels with AS touring tires

You could trade for a WRX, but I'm not sure she even be happy with that - which tells you where the above mods will end up. You should take her to test drive a WRx to see!

Reactions: JFAZ

·
Registered
40 Posts
OP you might try some Cygnus Performance X-1 Comfort Edition (FA 500) coilovers. They utilize the OEM tophats in the front struts and have 7K springs front and back. Even though they are about 20% firmer than stock they really smooth the ride. With the dampening adjustments they can easily be adjusted to feel smoother or much firmer that stock. The car feels more planted. Way better than OEM struts. I have a set on my '16 STi.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm in the same boat where my wife hated my STI, her biggest complaint wasn't actually the ride quality it was that the passenger seat was way taller than the driver seat. She said it was like sitting on a toilet. So I replaced the seats with some Sparco Chrono Road seats,and it was better as she now sits a few inches lower and now even with me.

Not everything is good though she still hates it, so now its just me in my car, and I think she'll never get back into the car again now that I got a AWE Touring exhaust because its so loud to her. Oh well, more fun for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts