IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey yall, I had an 06 STI for about 8 years and maybe replaced the front pads and rotors once in that time period. With that said, I bought a 2018 used STI a year ago 15k miles on it and i decided to take it into the dealership after a month or two just to have it checked out (est 18k miles on it at the time), you never know how long it has been since an oil change ect. They said my rotors were warped and couldtn be turned since they are drilled. Is that common for OEM subaru STI rotors? Dealership quoted me 2.5k for new front rotors and pads with less than 20k miles on the car! and the rear doesnt look much better. Still under warranty but from what i understand, the warranty for the brakes is only like 10k miles or something and the dealerhsip said it wasnt covered anymore.

Im desperate to find an alternative to OEM that is reputable and finding a good shop is probably even harder. I look to yalls wisdom, im really having buyers remorse with this thing. I wish i still had my 06 rally blue STI, Ya it had constant maintenance but it was paid for and honestly felt faster and i dont feel like i had to deal with annoying Sh*t like this before. also, they took away my ability to raise and lower my headlight beams and took away my intercooler sprayer! i liked those options, albiet, never really used them..

Thanks in advance guys for helping me out. sorry about the aderall ladened rant, its early and WFH has got me all stir crazy.

·
Premium Member
5,329 Posts
1) Find a good shop
2) Not saying you might not want to spend more but I see decent (acceptable?) parts available for under $700.
3) I'm not the one to answer this, but I doubt rotors warping in 15K is normal . . .

I use my headlight adj whenever an approaching vehicle won't switch off their high beams.
Never even tried to use my inter-cooler sprayer. Don't know why - my driving warrants it once in a while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mate so sorry to hear. The previous owner must've been very hard on the brakes. MY18 STI is still on factory rotors/pads a bit over 100,000km(mostly winter), still got a bit over 3mm on front pads.

Its the user not the hardware. OEM is expensive compared to aftermarket options. Some aftermarket only do front aswell so your rears will not match.

It's an easy DIY job if you feel up to it mate. Youtube university won't fail you here. Will save you $500 or so in labour.

Cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts