IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been discussed here, but I’m surprised to see how the front brakes are wearing on my 2018 STi. I’m just under 20K miles and was looking at my front brakes recently. The brake pads look to have almost no wear, but the rotors are Showing very heavy wear. I have not had them off to measure, but at this rate, I expect the rotors to go to min thickness before the pads.

The wear is very even on both sides of the rotor, but there is a pretty big step down at the edge and inside diameter of the braking surface.

I have done no track days and most miles are are from freeway driving to and from work. Some occasional hard driving in the mountains where I live.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Not sure if this has been discussed here, but I’m surprised to see how the front brakes are wearing on my 2018 STi. I’m just under 20K miles and was looking at my front brakes recently. The brake pads look to have almost no wear, but the rotors are Showing very heavy wear. I have not had them off to measure, but at this rate, I expect the rotors to go to min thickness before the pads.

The wear is very even on both sides of the rotor, but there is a pretty big step down at the edge and inside diameter of the braking surface.

I have done no track days and most miles are are from freeway driving to and from work. Some occasional hard driving in the mountains where I live.

Anyone else notice this?
If the wear is actually bad enough, you could measure the amount of rotor thickness and see if it falls within specs. If not, you can get a warranty replacement up to 36k miles. It falls under the new car bumper to bumper warranty.

Maybe you simply have a pad dragging. Put some syl glide on the caliper pins if you're gonna DIY. This would also be a perfect opportunity to ditch the silly drilled rotors.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plans have always been to upgrade rotors and pads at the 1st brake replacement.

its just going to be a high dollar upgrade so I need to plan.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I drive similar to yourself, mostly 80-120km/h+ with some spirited dirving, no track or abuse. 94,000km on factory brakes MY18 STI. Still got life left in them. I think the service C i paid for at 75,000km had rotor resurface included. Hopefully they warranty those rotors for you mate.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, not too worried about warranty because the factory brakes don’t impress me, but so can’t say I can ever remember hearing that rotors wore before a single set of pads on a factory car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey,

I have noticed the same thing on my 18. Heavy wear on the rotor, barely any brake pad wear. I picked up it up used at 20k miles.

I am with you that I plan to go to a different rotor/pad combo here soon. Not sure I want the same rotor even if they pay for it under warranty.

cheers!

josh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same here. I have a 2018 STI with 18k on the clock and the rotors look as if they have 50k miles on them with someone riding the brakes 24/7. I plan on getting the rotors resurfaced next weekend and of course drop in some new pads. Hopefully the rotors wear properly after that.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts