IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first I want to say I'm new to the forum and recently bought my STI. I'm a Ford tech that now builds ambulances but i don't have much experience with Subaru, only on the electrical side is my specialty. Right off the lot it had some rear brake noise, nothing too crazy, when I looked I took a peek and saw what appears to be a fair amount of pad left. I assumed it was probably just rust from the car sitting on the lot for some time and I've only had the car for a week. I always brake lightly to try and save the life of the pads and more for just comfort so with that in mind I started thinking I probably haven't been using much of the rear brakes anyway assuming its a 60/40 split. I don't really feel like taking the brakes apart if I don't have to because I work a really busy schedule and I work on vehicles all day, last thing I want to do when I get home is work on another vehicle lol. But just wondering if there's anything I should look for or thoughts about just trying to ride the brakes a little more to see if the noise goes away. I'll provide more info if needed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same issue my guy; to the point where I changed pads twice on my 2019. Oem pads are just a really bad compound. They create a serious amount of dust and cant handle hard driving; despite your situation. I noticed that both times I removed them the backing plate was practically almost melted and they hardened into a bunch of little spikes. For my driving style, the rotors are no bueno either for the record lol. Try out some soft compound aftermarket street pads like gloc gs1 or project mus. They worked wonders for me. Currently I swapped over to dba 5000 series t3 2 piece rotors with the glocs. Couldnt be happier and its completely noiseless. With my setup I lost some of the bite the oem pads gave me due to the weight of the rotors. All in all give those pads a shot. I believe it'll definitely be worth your while. Also, again, they are a much softer compound so they won't be as harsh on your oem rotors either

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue my guy; to the point where I changed pads twice on my 2019. Oem pads are just a really bad compound. They create a serious amount of dust and cant handle hard driving; despite your situation. I noticed that both times I removed them the backing plate was practically almost melted and they hardened into a bunch of little spikes. For my driving style, the rotors are no bueno either for the record lol. Try out some soft compound aftermarket street pads like gloc gs1 or project mus. They worked wonders for me. Currently I swapped over to dba 5000 series t3 2 piece rotors with the glocs. Couldnt be happier and its completely noiseless. With my setup I lost some of the bite the oem pads gave me due to the weight of the rotors. All in all give those pads a shot. I believe it'll definitely be worth your while. Also, again, they are a much softer compound so they won't be as harsh on your oem rotors either
Thank you so much for that, I'll probably still take a look at them though and maybe sand the pads a bit also I have some disc quiet too that, well tbh I'm not a fan of using. But worth a shot for the meanwhile before I get some new pads. Maybe I'll clean up the rotors a bit too, I didn't notice if the rears are drilled like the fronts are but I can always clean out the dust from the holes too, I've had to do that when I was working at ford before too on some rare occasions. Lol trying to remember some of the shop tricks we used to get rid of some noise but in the end you're definitely right about the best option is to replace the pads with something better. Once again thank you for the recommendation on some pads that will be better, I'll look around for them and see how things work out with cleaning the current brakes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
No problem man. Give what you said a shot, it may work for you idk. Not to sound douchey, but I did those exact things and in my case it worked for like a week or 2 and came right back with the same problem. Just tryna give you some insight on what potentially may happen. Good luck man

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gotcha, yea it doesn't hurt to try especially if it can save me a few bucks even for a little while 😄

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I've got a 19' STI & they squeal especially in the heat like crazy. I bought the car brand new last year. I have had enough of the OEM pads Rotors. Instead I am going with 4 - DBA's T3 4000 series slotted rotors with G-LOC GS-1 street pads.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've got a 19' STI & they squeal especially in the heat like crazy. I bought the car brand new last year. I have had enough of the OEM pads Rotors. Instead I am going with 4 - DBA's T3 4000 series slotted rotors with G-LOC GS-1 street pads.
You'll love the setup i have something similar. It's kinda nuts...you'd assume to think that for a 40k car that's meant for rally racing, they'd come with something a little more decent. I gotta ask bro. Are you finding that ur coming across way too many problems with this car already just in the first year? I love the car but it just seems so spotty for the price tag

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning I took the rears apart to clean them up like I said in an earlier post. Maybe it's just a rustbelt thing but the pads were really hard to get out of the calipers, like when I worked at ford we'd grind down the backings on the pads so they can fit because of rust buildup. I didn't go that far with it but I did wire wheel the slides and lubed them up really good. The noise did get slightly better but someone definitely did a pad slap on the car before I bought it because the rotors are pretty worn and the pads are brand new, plus the insides of the rotor were rusted pretty bad too. I found some odd wearing of the pads but for now I'm going to have to live with it because I need to put some better tires on before winter hits. I'll probably get the same pads as you and Glass.Cloud are talking about and shop around for decent rotors that are reasonably priced. I just hate dumping money into a car I just bought and I know its only noise its not like they're totally worn or they don't function. The brakes actually do feel really good though and I like the feel over my previous vehicle. Over all though the GS-1s are definitely going to stay in my shopping list but its not on the top of my shopping list, tires and fog lights are 😄

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll love the setup i have something similar. It's kinda nuts...you'd assume to think that for a 40k car that's meant for rally racing, they'd come with something a little more decent. I gotta ask bro. Are you finding that ur coming across way too many problems with this car already just in the first year? I love the car but it just seems so spotty for the price tag

For the mileage on mine (about 30k miles) I mean I really haven't found anything to complain about. There's the trunk rattle but that's more common in a lot of other vehicles too and that was a quick fix. I replaced the radio so I have carplay which worked out really well for me. I gave the car a good look over today too literally doing a full inspection looking for problems or issues just to come up with a list of what i may need to work on but its clean and I couldn't find anything other than the tires, rear brakes, fix the trunk rattle(which is now already fixed) and there's an F1 style brake light that all of the LEDs don't work but I can just replace it eventually. Hopefully I didn't jinx myself by saying "well that's it" but I usually worry about safety stuff first then noises and anything else I tend to put on the back burner.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts

I have had zero problems with the car other than the brake squeal. My car is stock only mod a bolt-on Catback exhaust. I also change the oil every 3,000 miles & I never ever take the car to the dealer for service. I am currently at 18,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
100 Posts
117,000km on my 18 STI and still on my factory brake parts. They have been flawless, never a squeak, 3 Canadian winters too. Mostly because they've been serviced 5 times, every spring/fall.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 19 STI's brakes squealed quite a bit, even with plenty of pad left on the fronts. Swapped out the front pads with some FactionFab pads and the squeal went away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 19 STI's brakes squealed quite a bit, even with plenty of pad left on the fronts. Swapped out the front pads with some FactionFab pads and the squeal went away.
I'm actually starting to think that it's the fronts making the noise on mine. Unfortunately I've always had a tough time locating noise concerns :(. I swore the noise was in the rear but I've been thinking about pulling the fronts and doing what I did with the rear pads and calipers, maybe it'll improve. Also the noise has been getting slightly better but its still annoying enough for me to want to do something about it. TBH, knowing there's plenty of pad, it feels a bit embarrassing coming to a stop with the squeal noise so I'm probably going to check the fronts over the weekend and see what I can do. Hopefully I can postpone buying pads for now, it'd be a shame to waste pads that are pretty much new.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I know it's been a while but for my 2019 STI. I finally received four DBA T3 Clubpsec 4000 slotted rotors along with GLOC GS1 brake pads. I should be installing them at the end of the month.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know it's been a while but for my 2019 STI. I finally received four DBA T3 Clubpsec 4000 slotted rotors along with GLOC GS1 brake pads. I should be installing them at the end of the month.
Let me know how they work out for you. After however long its been since I sanded the stock pads and cleaned all the hardware, I just started to get a little bit of noise under light brake application, maybe about a 2 weeks ago. Still not too bad though and I'm thinking mostly due to surface rust from all the salt on the roads and the rain we've been getting. Eventually I'd like to replace the pads and rotors though.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Let me know how they work out for you. After however long its been since I sanded the stock pads and cleaned all the hardware, I just started to get a little bit of noise under light brake application, maybe about a 2 weeks ago. Still not too bad though and I'm thinking mostly due to surface rust from all the salt on the roads and the rain we've been getting. Eventually I'd like to replace the pads and rotors though.
No problem I will keep you posted. Special thanks to Ken at KNS Brakes for supplying me with the GLOC GS1 pads & Oakos Automotive for supplying me with the DBA rotors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts