IW STi Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s says right in the owners manual that they will change colour with aggressive use. Too bad the front and rear don’t change at the same rate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Has anyone experienced this yet? This is the front caliper turning yellow after one track day:

Now this is the same caliper turning from yellow to gold after the second track day:

I bothered Subaru after the first time but they told me the car was advertised with Yellow brakes, so I said fine and left. What will they say this time around? Subaru's special colorshift paint... :naughty:
I have a new 2020 STI with just 1,200 miles on it. I brought it to the track after the break in period. I noticed the same thing! The front rotors turned from neon yellow (which I prefer) to a school bus yellow only in the front. I swapped out the OEM Brembo pads for Hawk Performance 5.0 pads. Perhaps, this will help. I’ll report back after the next track day. I’m disappointed that they didn’t think to use high temp resistant paint. I’ll keep an eye out for fellow brown/gold caliper trackday STI guys, lol.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Has anyone experienced this yet? This is the front caliper turning yellow after one track day:

Now this is the same caliper turning from yellow to gold after the second track day:

I bothered Subaru after the first time but they told me the car was advertised with Yellow brakes, so I said fine and left. What will they say this time around? Subaru's special colorshift paint... :naughty:
dang those volks looked so nice with the neon yellow perfect match.. ruined after that change to brownish color though :( my OCD killin me

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Man after reading these comments, id be pretty pissed if things started to fade and change colors after use. Especially if the car is under warranty. I guess subaru covered their butts by putting it in the manual lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
If it makes you feel better your not the only one having these issues.

This is what pisses me off about new cars. They do all these things gimmicks for eye candy when buying the car new and than things start to go wrong.

That being said, i actually prefer the color they turn. But it's annoying that the rears don't turn the same color...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do porsche caliper color suffer the same fate? Is it highlighter yellow or acid green?

Mine look great with over 105,000km but no track use. Minus the scrapes from winter ice buildup but it's not visible from the side profile.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do porsche caliper color suffer the same fate? Is it highlighter yellow or acid green?

Mine look great with over 105,000km but no track use. Minus the scrapes from winter ice buildup but it's not visible from the side profile.
MY 2018 991.2 GT3 calipers (Red) don’t show any color change. Even the bright white “Porsche” lettering is crisp white after several hard track days. STI neon green caliper paint has to have a lower temperature tolerance. I’m in FL so it was at least 90-92’ ambient temperature plus the heat of the hard laps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
this is why I'm thankful for the 2017 STI black calipers.. no idea why they had to switch it up to this neon yellow (doesn't look good imo)

·
Registered
27 Posts
this is why I'm thankful for the 2017 STI black calipers.. no idea why they had to switch it up to this neon yellow (doesn't look good imo)
I like the fact that the newer Brembo's are six piston, but the color has never grown on me. Any 18+ owners out there paint or powder coat them to another color? If I could chose, I'd just go black w/white STI letters like 15-17.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts