IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
We can get Ti shims made if you are interested but there is not much to be done about fading caliper paint. It won't happen at street temperatures but it will on track pretty much no matter what.

It's not a defect - it just is what it is.

That's why race calipers are usually not painted just hard anodized.

Now if you can invent a paint that will stay bright at 5-600F I bet Brembo will buy it from you :)

-Ken

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
My StopTech calipers haven't changed color with track days... And it's red paint.
Yep - red and black tend to hold up. Dunno the physics behind that but the red EVO calipers peel and fade.

The funny thing is black Wilwoods get a purple hue to them although it's anodizing not paint.

Heat does strange things.

·
Super Moderator
8,427 Posts
I've seen Evo calipers turn black with enough track time. Not all Wilwood black is anodizing... I've had both their black paint and anodizing. The paint held up just fine and yes, the anodizing lightens up to look purple.

·
Registered
300 Posts
From what I've seen, Porsche's yellow PCCB calipers seem to hold up fine with track use, as do BMW's blue ones. 600F paint and coatings definitely exist.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
OP, I would change the brake fluids. The OEM stuff must be cooked.

The same thing happened on my '05 STI, so I wasn't surprised, except for the fact that I only ran two sessions, on stock pads/stock tires, with temps in the high 40s. The '05 took much more heat to start changing.
Same thing happened with the tracked GR STIs. The black stayed black but the white "STI" logo turned brown

Couldn't this get covered by Subaru? I would consider this to be a defect in the paint. I'm not planning on tracking my 2018 so I hope I can avoid this but I would be pissed if my calipers turned yellow.
I doubt it would be covered by warranty because it's only extreme braking/track use. With these issue you cannot hide the fact that you spent a day or two at the track.
Netherott, You are not tracking the car so you should be fine.

Please explain?
see above

FWIW, the only people i've seen this happen to were the ones that were running full OEM setup (fluids, rotors and pads).
I am not running OEM pads nor fluid. PMU HC+ and Textar DOT4R fluid. Will be trying Winmax BF fluid next (I’m getting it for free so I might as well try)

If anything would help, would be titanium shims

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Could definitely be worth a try. I'd like to run Pagid yellows, ideally, which theoretically have a bit lower thermal conductivity (aside from just being excellent enduro racing compounds), but as far as I can tell, there isn't a size for this car yet.
Pagid makes Yellow RSL1 and 19 for our pad sizing, use a Lexus ISF pad size for the fronts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
From what I've seen, Porsche's yellow PCCB calipers seem to hold up fine with track use, as do BMW's blue ones. 600F paint and coatings definitely exist.
That's because the price of Porsche and BMW membership comes with expected perks.

I've been hanging out on the Camaro forum because I'm planning on selling my STI for a 2SS 1LE, and for what it's worth the red 6-piston Brembo's on the 1LE (track package) have been known to go from red to maroon with heavy track use.

Think of it as a badge of honor. :tup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Pagid makes Yellow RSL1 and 19 for our pad sizing, use a Lexus ISF pad size for the fronts
That's excellent to hear. I'll still need to look around and see about a good matching rear pad (since I don't want to drastically change the brake bias), but it's a step in the right direction for sure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That's excellent to hear. I'll still need to look around and see about a good matching rear pad (since I don't want to drastically change the brake bias), but it's a step in the right direction for sure.
hit up @KNSBrakes for some rear brake setups :tup:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Maybe it's a so-called Easter egg for these cars. It's like removing the chicken strips from the back tire on a sportbike. Only the cool kids drive hard enough to change the color of the brakes. What a ridiculously stupid response from them, though

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've tracked my 15' STI with black brake calipers and I haven't seen any discolourization on either the black or the white STI lettering.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder what paint they use. This doesn't happen on Mercedes-AMG cars with the same brembo calipers in red. I doubt mine will change color with only street driving and the occasional autocross but yes, I will be pissed if they fade.:mad:

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
I wonder what paint they use. This doesn't happen on Mercedes-AMG cars with the same brembo calipers in red. I doubt mine will change color with only street driving and the occasional autocross but yes, I will be pissed if they fade.:mad:
The black and red colors are for whatever reason less susceptible to color change. There are not too many AMG's track days either so the heat threshold is likely not exceeded.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Been following this and have my first HPDE in my 2018 coming up in June at Homestead. I'm going to be running G-Loc R12 pads on OEM rotors, ss brake lines, Motul RBF600, titanium shims, and boomba brake cooling deflectors with the dust shields off.

Let's see how this setup holds up to the heat.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts