IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced this yet? This is the front caliper turning yellow after one track day:

Now this is the same caliper turning from yellow to gold after the second track day:

I bothered Subaru after the first time but they told me the car was advertised with Yellow brakes, so I said fine and left. What will they say this time around? Subaru's special colorshift paint... :naughty:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have one track day on mine, and they've definitely gone from green to yellow. Second track day is later this spring, so I guess now I know what to expect. I'm thinking of removing the dust shields, so maybe that'll get them a bit of extra airflow and keep them cooler, but it is disappointing that the paint isn't rated to higher temps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My fronts also started turning more yellow after a recent track day. I actually prefer the 'new' color more than the green, but of course the rears did not change, so now there is an imbalance, which looks kind of dumb.

The same thing happened on my '05 STI, so I wasn't surprised, except for the fact that I only ran two sessions, on stock pads/stock tires, with temps in the high 40s. The '05 took much more heat to start changing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Couldn't this get covered by Subaru? I would consider this to be a defect in the paint. I'm not planning on tracking my 2018 so I hope I can avoid this but I would be pissed if my calipers turned yellow.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Lol green to gold, then possibly brown?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yup, reminds me of my '05 Evo MR's "Brownbos" after several track days!

OP, Gold looks nice but have it checked by the dealership for warranty claim.

·
pwn n00bs
18,215 Posts
unfortunately, they don't coat these calipers with something really tough. the old gold brembos did the same thing and turned brown from the heat. the black coated brembo's didn't change because they were black.

it's something we have to deal with...and yes it for sure lets us know who has tracked the car by looking at the brakes! you'll have to repowder them with a high heat coating.

·
Registered
832 Posts
OP, I would change the brake fluids. The OEM stuff must be cooked.

The same thing happened on my '05 STI, so I wasn't surprised, except for the fact that I only ran two sessions, on stock pads/stock tires, with temps in the high 40s. The '05 took much more heat to start changing.
Same thing happened with the tracked GR STIs. The black stayed black but the white "STI" logo turned brown

Couldn't this get covered by Subaru? I would consider this to be a defect in the paint. I'm not planning on tracking my 2018 so I hope I can avoid this but I would be pissed if my calipers turned yellow.
I doubt it would be covered by warranty because it's only extreme braking/track use. With these issue you cannot hide the fact that you spent a day or two at the track.
Netherott, You are not tracking the car so you should be fine.

Please explain?
see above

FWIW, the only people i've seen this happen to were the ones that were running full OEM setup (fluids, rotors and pads).

·
Registered
300 Posts
For what it's worth, I'm running better fluid, and fluid won't make any difference anyways as far as caliper temps are concerned. Pads might help, but I'd be surprised.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If anything would help, would be titanium shims

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Could definitely be worth a try. I'd like to run Pagid yellows, ideally, which theoretically have a bit lower thermal conductivity (aside from just being excellent enduro racing compounds), but as far as I can tell, there isn't a size for this car yet.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts