IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 is a big year for Subaru. It’s 60 years since the 1958 launch of its first series production car, the Subaru 360, and 30 years since the 1988 founding of its dedicated performance arm, Subaru Technica International—otherwise known as STI

Importantly, it’s also 20 years since Subaru released the 22B. The 22B was the first monster Subaru put on the road, with a 0-60 time of...wait for it....3.9 secs...thats 20 years ago, thats crazy!

Full article on this, plus a ton of HD pics on this awesome Subaru.

http://https://jalopnik.com/why-the-subaru-impreza-22b-was-an-insane-monster-that-c-1825224737

Attachments

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
you forgot the 50th anniversary editions of each model in the 2018 lineup! But ya you hit all the points nicely, and no doubt the Type RA comming to the US this year isnt a coincidence. I wonder if they will every make a 22B edition for the U.S?

·
Registered
761 Posts
you forgot the 50th anniversary editions of each model in the 2018 lineup! But ya you hit all the points nicely, and no doubt the Type RA comming to the US this year isnt a coincidence. I wonder if they will every make a 22B edition for the U.S?
Read that story also. Mazda seems to be leading the innovation today.
Subaru seem to have been resting on their lorrals from 20 years ago.

At least they have made some minor improvements to the EJ 2.5 internals, the combustion chamber design is still prone to hot spots though, hopefully in the future they use the combustion chamber design from the FA 2.0, it seems to be a vast improvement.

You can keep the flashy badges, I care not for the gimmicky marketing magic that seems to suck people in, give me a platform simular to the one they had 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
nah, they are HUGELY successful as a brand, and the STI sells like hotcakes, and has been a MASSIVE success for them....success as an automotive company isnt measured by how much one may have increased horsepower in a particular model over the past 15 years...far far from it. Subaru has an outstanding business model and they are very successful...not plagued by recalls or other political B.S. and they make wonderful cars.

As far as "innovation" in internal combustion engines??? Eh.....its all old tech really, the internal combustion engine is ancient...the only real innovation that is here is the expanding electric drive technology....makes the internal combustion engine look silly by comparison.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
The forester and crosstrek are the reason Subaru is doing so well. The wrx/sti might suck some husbands into the dealership who end up settling on a crossover, but Subaru's success is not at all dependent on the wrx platform.

The anniversary edition might look nice on some models but that color scheme is terribly drab on the wrx.

I don't think anyone can make a 22b again. The 90s and early 00s were a great time specifically for Japanese performance models, and that was a time when you didn't have to load a car down with airbags, cameras and radar, and sound deadening.

As for electric drive, hopefully they have something more exciting and performance oriented than the mild hybrid some have hinted at for the upcoming focus RS. There's nothing remotely groundbreaking about that, and frankly I don't see Subaru doing anything signifying more exciting in the near future. Do you remember the crosstrek hybrid? 1 extra mpg, incredible

·
Registered
532 Posts
They had a 50th sti at the dealer I go to and it was absolutely horrid, the heritage blue and the 50th badges were an absolute abomination.....

So far nothing I have seen with the sti is an any other direction than stagnent....

And for what they are asking for premium models on any line, no thanks if I’m going to spend 40-50k it would not be on a new suby unless they make some drastic changes.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I mean whats so innovative about dicking around and re engineering combustion chambers LOL....its all getting really really old and is frankly obsolete engineering. Electric drive and the new technology evolving around electric cars is far far more innovative and significant. Its VERY likely that in 10 years all cars are going to be half electric half internal combustion....and in 20 years???

Manufacturers that have increased horsepower in some of their models over the past 10 years means absolutely nothing to me as far as innovation or advancements. So I laugh out loud when some people use that as the measure of Subaru's position in the automotive industry. Seriously, the STI is fast enough for what it is and can be made into a monster if one wants. Subaru can leave it the way it is for all I care and it will always be an awesome fun car.

"stagnant" LMFAO!!!!!!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Blacknblue LMFAO.

Take off the rose colored glasses, the only person you are fooling is yourself.

You really need to learn to research topics before you post.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Blacknblue LMFAO.

"stagnant" LOL....totally illogical to say subaru is stagnant because one of their models hasnt had a proportional increase in horsepower as other brand performance cars have had over the past several years. Its literally one of the dumbest arguments I have ever read on the internet. Subaru is very very successful and is innovating where it NEEDS to.

The STI sells itself and has created a self supporting market outside of subaru that keeps it competetive with anything out there with the parts that are constantly comming out for it. The people that dont get that, and havent for the past 5-6 years are the ones with the rose colored glasses on LMAO!!!!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Blacknblue LMFAO.

"stagnant" LOL....totally illogical to say subaru is stagnant because one of their models hasnt had a proportional increase in horsepower as other brand performance cars have had over the past several years. Its literally one of the dumbest arguments I have ever read on the internet. Subaru is very very successful and is innovating where it NEEDS to.

The STI sells itself and has created a self supporting market outside of subaru that keeps it competetive with anything out there with the parts that are constantly comming out for it. The people that dont get that, and havent for the past 5-6 years are the ones with the rose colored glasses on LMAO!!!!

Electric drive is going to make all these comparisons obsolete.

·
Registered
532 Posts

I’m not arguing nor will I ever argue with you cause it’s not worth it, I made a statement. If you would like to read the dumbest arguments on the net look through your posts...

This thread has officially been BNB’d:(

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I wouldn't say Subaru is resting on their laurels, I would say they have been hyperfocused on growing their business. Selling high profit, low volume performance cars does not get them there.

I do believe that if they manage to make an effective partnership of their dealings with Toyota and bring a performance hybrid technology to the WRX/STi it will propel them a long way towards their goal of becoming a more relevant auto manufacturer.

The Ascent should go a long way towards filling their coffers and giving them some walking around money to spend on less profitable development efforts. If they have a planned hybrid for that vehicle, the extension of that technology to other platforms will be interesting.

People accused Porsche of loosing their way when they released the Cayenne, and again when they released the Panamera. Those vehicles, however, were necessary for the brand to build a customer base and generate enough capital to invest in new technology for their sports cars, the 918 being the pinnacle of that and the starting point for a trickle down to lesser models.

Subaru seems to be doing the same thing by building a high margin 7 passenger beast for the masses. Hopefully it pays dividends and 2018 is a pivot point for Subru as they continue to slingshot their sales. All good things for performance car fanatics.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

You're the worst kind of fanboy, who would argue a losing team is doing great because they fill the stands. We're consumers. This isn't an investment forum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts