IW STi Forum banner

201 - 220 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
When we saw the wrx concept show up at NYIAS in april 2013 we didn't see that model hit dealers till summer 2015.
Ehhh. I see your logic, but I think it's a weak connection. That was a concept of a body re-model that we knew was coming. They would not do a "concept" engine release. They would only release the production spec engine. And they would probably kill 2017 sales if they announced that the 2018 would have a new engine before the 2017 even came out. I just see that type of announcement being as close as possible to the production release in order to maintain healthy interest in the current, older technology for as long as possible.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ehhh. I see your logic, but I think it's a weak connection. That was a concept of a body re-model that we knew was coming. They would not do a "concept" engine release. They would only release the production spec engine. And they would probably kill 2017 sales if they announced that the 2018 would have a new engine before the 2017 even came out. I just see that type of announcement being as close as possible to the production release in order to maintain healthy interest in the current, older technology for as long as possible.
Correct, makes perfect sense. I would expect the 2018 to come with a refresh and hopefully a new engine. But all we do is speculate at this point anyways. Let`s see what happens, thankfully I am in a position where I am waiting 1-2 years before purchasing my STi. My wish list is a little facelift, new engine and recaro seats. That`s not too much to ask for is it?!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I ordered a 2017, it should arrive end of April or mid May.
They no change except minor thins, I just remeber tricot headliner and Siri, there was 2-3 other things but insignificant ones! If someone has the list could be nice info to put here.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
They no change except minor thins, I just remeber tricot headliner and Siri, there was 2-3 other things but insignificant ones! If someone has the list could be nice info to put here.
No one knows what the changes are yet - except for you apparently. I've seen none of the major dealers sharing factual information, just speculation based on history and cycles. Go get that list of changes from your dealer and post it up - the community would appreciate it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not entirely sure how a 2017 WRX STI was ordered. No information exists to current dealerships on pricing or changes (as of now). It's coming soon, but nothing has been released to dealers, and they're the ones you'd be ordering said 2017 through anyways.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Headliner change....nice touch hahaha. Either you were sold huge shipment of manure from the dealer and BOUGHT IT, or you think we're going to buy your terrible fabrication of a post. Either way, it doesn't look good for you.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time and assume that you put down a deposit on a car that you think is ordered and is a 2017. Did the dealer provide you a copy of the build sheet that they fill out when they place your order? Did they provide you with any documentation? End of April or Mid May arrival? Well it's 30 days on the boat from Japan to Baltimore (or RI if you are in Subaru of New England), another 3 to 10 days from port to the dealer. That means that your car should probably be built already. Subaru is still building and shipping 2016 model year (order bank just closed very recently for the 2016).

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was told the same thing from my dealer a month and a half ago when they couldn't order me a 2016, but I know they were full of crap and just trying to make the sale.. They still have no clue today.. Chances are they might be right but regardless, they have no clue..

Hope the orders do open up soon or at least some info..

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have said this in a few posts, the 2016's were not announced until April 24th last year so you can bet they are going to stick close to that date for this year as well.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Seeing how many issue the FA20 is having, I doubt 17 STI will have this ESS their deal with Toyota in Toyota Direct Injection hybrid were done, and now they can use it. Even then, the 86 itself still has injectors issues....so, it is best to wait for 2021 Subaru STI as an all new beast

·
Registered
51 Posts
Good point. This year we've seen quite a few recalls and TSBs on the current FA20 with DIT in the WRX and FXTs. Plus... wasn't the FA20 in Japan for a year or two before it came stateside in the 2014 Forester XT? I would bet whatever "new engine" the STI eventually gets would have some sort of time in the land of the rising sun before it jumps across the pond.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Order banks for 2017 open april 15th. production starts in june. Earliest you would see it is 10-12 weeks from that date prob august. Hope you didnt plan on driving it soon.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Seeing how many issue the FA20 is having, I doubt 17 STI will have this ESS their deal with Toyota in Toyota Direct Injection hybrid were done, and now they can use it. Even then, the 86 itself still has injectors issues....so, it is best to wait for 2021 Subaru STI as an all new beast
I love how a recall comes out and immediately there are a ton of issues. I only know of two recalls with the FA20 and they were minor. ECU calibration and Intake hose prone to cracking. Im interested in what all the other issues are?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Good point. This year we've seen quite a few recalls and TSBs on the current FA20 with DIT in the WRX and FXTs. Plus... wasn't the FA20 in Japan for a year or two before it came stateside in the 2014 Forester XT? I would bet whatever "new engine" the STI eventually gets would have some sort of time in the land of the rising sun before it jumps across the pond.
Hmmm, IIRC, the EJ257 was a USDM market engine. I believe it showed up in the USDM 2003 Baja Turbo, and then later began populating in the USDM WRX STi as well as the Forester XTs. It wasn't till a few years later that the 2.5L Turbo actually made an appearance in the Forester STi (i believe 05-06 was their's, which crosses with US 06-07) in the Japanese Market. Even then, it was rated at 265PS, or nearly in line with the 06-07 US WRXs' power output.

Also, since you are taxed on your car according to "cc's" sizing in Japan, there won't be much demand for 2.5L engines there.

As such, I don't hold out much hope for testing of the FA25(?) in Japan--likely when the FA25 shows up, it will be here in the U.S. as the first landing spot.

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
STI has a history of 3 year generation runs with upgrades to option packages as they go. 2015, 2016, 2017 won't be any different. If a new engine with a lot more power was being produced for 2017 we would know. I could see an S207 option package becoming available in 2017 though that would consist of badges, front and rear spoiler changes, and interior trim changes, and lighter wheels and lighter exhaust. That would be a HIT!! Similar to what they did in 2007 with the STI limited's with rear wing delete and leather interior number plaque interior trim etc etc etc.

I dont buy that it won't be until 2020 for a horsepower bump though. It's very possible it will be as early as 2018:tup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
STI has a history of 3 year generation runs with upgrades to option packages as they go. 2015, 2016, 2017 won't be any different. If a new engine with a lot more power was being produced for 2017 we would know. I could see an S207 option package becoming available in 2017 though that would consist of badges, front and rear spoiler changes, and interior trim changes, and lighter wheels and lighter exhaust. That would be a HIT!! Similar to what they did in 2007 with the STI limited's with rear wing delete and leather interior number plaque interior trim etc etc etc.

I dont buy that it won't be until 2020 for a horsepower bump though. It's very possible it will be as early as 2018:tup:

There is nothing stopping them giving the next gen a hp hike damn they did the cs400 8 years ago now so the development has been done even if they give them all 330 or 350 hp still easily doable with an ej257 and would be no less reliable lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
There is nothing stopping them giving the next gen a hp hike damn they did the cs400 8 years ago now so the development has been done even if they give them all 330 or 350 hp still easily doable with an ej257 and would be no less reliable lol
Lots of stage 2 STis blowing up right and left lol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You also get loads of stock sti go pop . Ive not heard of a cs400 go and like I said wouldn't make them any less reliable

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk

201 - 220 of 247 Posts