IW STi Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

As per the video below, I have been experiencing a clunking sound while turning left at low speed:

2017 Subaru WRX STI - Steering Noise - YouTube

I took a Subaru mechanic for a test drive to help troubleshoot the issue. He thinks the sound is related to the front differential.

Does this diagnosis sound accurate? Every service interval I report the same issue but Subaru is unable to fix.

The symptoms described by this user are very similiar: https://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-general/318376-weird-sound-coming-when-steering-low-speed.html.

Thanks,
Gino

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine sounded like that, still does to a point, but the dealership found a missing motor mount nut and loose transmission mount. Caused more damage to the axle seal and something else that I don't remember. Good luck with it, took me over a year to get it somewhat fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your feedback, Woodrow4!

Subaru has replaced the front sway bar links, steering rack and re-built the front differential, yet the issue still occurs (after troubleshooting for more than 18 months).

Here is another video of the clunking sound: WRX STI - Clunking Sound - YouTube.

I noticed that the sound only occurs when the vehicle is warm and it sounds like it is coming from the front passenger footwell.

Please let me know if you have any other thoughts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To close out this thread, the noise was caused by the front strut and top hat mount. Hopefully this information is helpful for other STI owners!

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts
To close out this thread, the noise was caused by the front strut and top hat mount. Hopefully this information is helpful for other STI owners!
do you mean the unibody-strut tower? Can you provide more info/pics of the area at fault?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts