IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
I have never liked tail light lenses that stick out beyond the body panels either, but on this impreza they are incorporated as an extension of the body lines, they stay "square" with the body. On other carst that due this the lenses are round and look horrible. The impreza lenses are angular and square and match the car quite well. I find it hard NOT to see them as appealing on this new body. That wing is very nice as well. Overall I think they did a fantastic job.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Maybe I should start a new thread with this but....

Car and Driver posted these. Clearly not the 2017 impreza 5 door. Probably just a mule they threw together but this definitely has a WRX front bumper, headlights, and hood. Not sure where those taillights are from or whats going on with some of the side body panels. Hood scoop appears to be covered but maybe it's just some type of screen? Let's all read wayyy too far into this and assume they're testing a new motor for the STi and maybe a 5 door WRX based on the old impreza body because our current WRX body style is around until MY2020.

Car and Driver

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Maybe I should start a new thread with this but....

Car and Driver posted these. Clearly not the 2017 impreza 5 door. Probably just a mule they threw together but this definitely has a WRX front bumper, headlights, and hood. Not sure where those taillights are from or whats going on with some of the side body panels. Hood scoop appears to be covered but maybe it's just some type of screen? Let's all read wayyy too far into this and assume they're testing a new motor for the STi and maybe a 5 door WRX based on the old impreza body because our current WRX body style is around until MY2020.

Car and Driver
Already been posted many times, old news!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually, Tom Doll recently intimated that the next model STI, with new powerplant may well be available in 2018.

Snippet: "Doll confirmed that Subaru will deploy hybrid models from 2018 — roughly the same time as the new WRX and STI are scheduled — but wouldn’t say which vehicle would be the first cab off the rank."

Source:Next Subaru WRX STI in 2018 - motoring.com.au

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looking at this car makes me appreciate my 07 STi a little more. Also i realized that I will probably never be selling my car.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
^Ditto

I keep holding off waiting for the next gen STI only to be disappointed over & over again. Just waiting for Subaru to produce something that actually "wow's" me for a change.

·
lurking Subaru whore
826 Posts
LOL about the corrola comparisons, the impreza is LEAPS and BOUNDS above a corrola in every way. The new impreza "looks" like a lot of other cars to me as well, but that is what car manufacturers do.

Edit*

Aftermarket will undoubtabley supply a different tail light kit once these are hitting the streets and the mods start.....:tup:
I agree with you.

Everyone who says "oh it looks like a Corolla" needs to realize it IS competing in that segment (compact car, C-segment). Welcome to the reality that is the consumer market for compact cars.

Based on the current product cycle, this is how Subaru updated to next-generation compact (C-segment) models along with my personal predictions of what model years will be next for a next-generation reveal.

2012 4th gen Impreza, GJ/GP chassis
2013 2nd gen XV (Crosstrek), GP chassis [based on 4th gen Impreza]
2014 4th gen Forester, SJ chassis [uses 4th gen Impreza platform]
2015 4th gen WRX/WRX STI, VA chassis [though different by name, still uses 4th gen Impreza as basis and unibody further modified]

Based off of that cycle, it may turn out like this:

2017 5th gen Impreza [now on Subaru Global Architecture]
2018 3rd gen XV (Crosstrek) [likely based on 5th gen Impreza, now on Subaru Global Architecture]
2019 5th gen Forester [uses 5th gen Impreza platform on the Subaru Global Architecture]
2020 5th gen WRX/WRX STI [though different by name, likely will use 5th gen Impreza as basis and unibody further modified, on Subaru Global Architecture]

So, there you have it. I'm expecting the 5th gen WRX/WRX STI to be out in the 2020 model year.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Normally, that's what I would have expected too. The only thing that might force their hand a bit and push it up is the RS. Depending on how much they actually think it's competition. A hatch would bridge that 5 year gap nicely too. :lol:

·
lurking Subaru whore
826 Posts
I am more afraid of the fact it may not come with a manual trans. Shit!
I was thinking the same.

I called Subaru of America customer service last week and was told the earliest I would get an answer was late last week.

It's a new week and I haven't gotten an email back yet... It's not looking good for the future of manual transmission Subaru vehicles :(

·
Registered
313 Posts
I'm hoping to have some info on them in a month or less. :D

Please share as soon as you get the info! This is what I'm hoping for in 2 - 3 years:

Basically, ditch the EJ engine, bring the hatchback back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
The only tricky part about assuming the WRX STI falls into the normal cycle of Subaru's upgrade plans is what happened with the 3rd Generation.

2008 - New WRX Sedan and hatch. New WRX STI hatch only
2009 - Again
2010 - Again (Following their regular 3-year sequence)
2011 - Facelifted WRX Sedan and Hatchback. Facelifted WRX STI Hatchback and return of Sedan.
2012 - Again
2013 - Again
2014 - Again?
2015 - New WRX Sedan. New WRX STI Sedan.

Which means the new models could see three possible outcomes... the first I think we can rule out.
1: New WRX and WRX STI are released alongside new Impreza ahead of 5-year cycle.
2: New WRX and WRX STI follow 5-year cycle and get released in 2020.
3: New WRX and WRX STI aren't bound by the traditional 5-year cycle everything else follows and gets update whenever the heck they want to... because the 3rd Gen didn't make sense either. lol

A new motor is inevitable in the WRX STI, as their Prominence 2020 plan calls for Direct Injection. A Hatchback is an enthusiast dream that other countries get to live out with CVT-equipped Levorgs that won't touch US soil. If Subaru brings it back, it would likely accompany plan #2, where Subaru uses it as part of the 2018 Facelift, much like the return of the WRX STI Sedan in 2011 (and the wide body for the WRX Sedan and Hatchback).

Still, with all the improvements the Global Platform brings to the 2017 Impreza... from a motorsports application, you'd want your teams to be utilizing this new technology and design as quickly as possible, right? However, I think the days of "Lets build a race car... and then turn it into an economy car" have since reversed.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts