IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, so I figured I'd make a thread to keep track of everything over the course of my ownership with this car. A little background first:

I grew up around 90s JDM cars; mostly cars like RX7s, Supra's, and 240's. I built up two different 240s ('98 S14 & '93 S13 hatch) over a 6 year period and got lots of seat time in them.

Took a break for a while and then hopped into a '12 WRX sedan. I did the basic stuff to it (TBE etc), and ended up getting the drift bug again, so I sold it a year later and got into an FRS.

I had a '13 FRS for the past 2 years and some change. Built it up a little bit, did a bunch of drift events with it and had a blast. Easily the most fun car I've ever owned, as I beat the living hell out of it and the car never skipped a beat.

I'm moving back home to CA soon though seeing how my enlistment period is up and between school and work, I wouldn't have the time for the upkeep and maintanance of a daily driven car built in that fashion. So I decided to part it out and trade it in for something more usable, practical, and ready to go out of the box. WSIR is only 2 hours away and I have every intention of going once every few months.

Enter the '16 STI. I just picked it up a few weeks ago, and I'm planning on keeping the car mostly stock in all reality. Just slight touchups and improvements in each area: braking, suspension, power, aesthetics. Truth be told, a lot of the add on pieces will probably just be JDM/optional OEM pieces. We'll see what happens though.

The car is bone stock right now, but I plan on doing the following after my move back home next month:
-brake pads
-brake fluid
-oil cooler & catch can/AOS

Might also get the car tuned to get rid of the horrendous tune Subaru equips these cars with. But we'll see

On to pictures:

Purchased: June 2015

Mods/Accessories:

Suspension
-Whiteline Camber Bolts
-Whiteline Rear Lower Control Arms
-Swift Spec R Springs

Brakes
-Project Mu HC+800 Brake Pads (street)
-Project Mu Club Racer Brake Pads (track)
-DBA T3 4000 Series Brake Rotors
-StopTech Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
-Motul RBF600 Fluid

Wheels/Tires
-18x8.5 +38 Work MCO Racing Wheels
-245/40R18 Zestino Gredge 07RS

Exterior
-OEM JDM Front Grille
-STI Front Lip
-STI Side Skirts
-STI Rear Spats
-JDM S4 Mirror Caps
-F1 Rear Fog Light
-Tail-as-Turn Signal Mod

Interior
-STI Aluminum/Leather Shift Knob
-JDM Leather Boost Gauge/Console Hood

Engine
-HKS EL Headers
-BrenTuning E-Tune w/ Cobb AP
-IAG Street Series AOS
-KillerB Oil Pick up tube
-KillerB Windage Tray
-STI Oil Cap
-STI Battery Tie Down
-STI 1.3 Bar Radiator Cap

Drivetrain
-STI Group N Pitch Stop Mount
-STI Group N Transmission Mount
-Perrin Pitch Stop Mount Brace
-Perrin SS Braided Clutch Line
-Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
-Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushing

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: '16 wrb sti

Thanks! I'm really amped to get this thing out to a track. It feels so much better than my old WRX did. It feels like a complete car.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts

Judging from your history I highly doubt the car was still stay near stock :lol:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Judging from your history I highly doubt the car was still stay near stock :lol:
Lol you might be right. I'm really going to try though. There are things that I want, but a lot of them are honestly just small things, and mostly cosmetic changes between the interior and exterior. A majority of them are just OEM/JDM pieces too.

I'm more interested in just keeping the car basic, fun, and reliable, rather than trying to overdue it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Bought some things

-STI Battery Tie Down
-STI Oil Cap
-OEM Subaru Oil Filter
-Fumoto Drain Valve

Only installed the tie down, the rest I'll be doing when I do the 1,000 mile oil change this weekend.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Just made the drive from Oklahoma to Arizona. About 990 miles total.

Car did great! Checked the oil every fill up and didn't burn any, even with the 100F + heat. It struggled a little bit going uphill in Flagstaff. The hot weather and high elevation made the car feel a bit sluggish but after that, it felt as good as always.

I'll be driving the last 350 miles to the new house in California on Thursday. Still loving this thing :)

To boot, I also managed to pull about 350 miles on a tank of fuel, and the display on the dash said I still had 70 miles of range left when I filled up (just under the 1/4 full mark). Averaged about 26.5MPG and that's with the car loaded with luggage and and stuff too.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sooooo....

Got to California and my good friend surprised me with a front lip for my birthday :)

Pretty cool.

Went to Subiefest yesterday. Wasn't the best experience but it's all good. Somebody decided to jack one of my fog lights bezels too while it was sitting in the parking lot.

Already ordered a new one, so hopefully that'll be here before next weekend. Looks like quite a few people aren't very happy about how the event was overall.

I was hoping there'd be some crazy deals but there wasn't really anything I was looking for, so I just picked up some brake fluid and that was that.

Should get betting that swapped out next month or so when I do the oil. Looking to run the Speed Ventures event at Big Willow in December.

Still absolutely love this car. Can't really find anything I really dislike about it. The stereo isn't the greatest, but stereo systems have never been a priority for me. 3,400 miles in and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Sorry about the bezel, whether you were going to replace it or not. At least they didn't scratch the paint at all.

I have the '16 Base WRB as well. God I love it. Just hit 1K miles today. I'm not looking to upgrade much at all at the moment, maybe just cosmetic for a bit, so I'll be following your postings to see what you do, as I'm new to Subie ownership.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Sorry about the bezel, whether you were going to replace it or not. At least they didn't scratch the paint at all.

I have the '16 Base WRB as well. God I love it. Just hit 1K miles today. I'm not looking to upgrade much at all at the moment, maybe just cosmetic for a bit, so I'll be following your postings to see what you do, as I'm new to Subie ownership.
Thanks!

Lol I had no intention of doing anything with the bezels. Just walked out to the car and it was gone. Wasn't about to sit there and fuss over it for hours in 100 degree weather for a $10 part though. No biggy.

I thought about doing the JDM bezels with the lights up front, but don't really care to sink $400 on that right now, as there are other things I'd rather do first.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Finally took the car out to a track day this past weekend. It was at the Hooked on Driving event at Auto Club Speedway up in Fontana, here in California. I was working while I was there so I didn't get much seat time. One session in the morning and one in the evening. Can't beat it though, considering I drove for free and got paid for my time lol.

Car is still 100% stock aside from Motul RBF600 fluid. Love this thing so much!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Love this pic!!
Thanks. Me too:) The guys at CaliPhotography are always out at those events taking great pictures.

Did another oil change today:lol: Only had like 1,100 miles on this oil, but after the day at the track, and an 800 mile round trip coming up during the holidays, I wanted to get it knocked out. Plus, the T6 is cheap, so whatever.

After the holidays, I'll be working on getting a few other things done for the car. Brake pads will be a big one. Probably Ferodo DS2500 based on the reviews I've seen after researching the topic, unless others have any other suggestions?

Camber bolts for the front is on the list as well. -0.5 camber up front sucks. You can tell Subaru set this car up to be safe. The end goal is to be around -2 or so up front, and camber bolts seem to do the job just fine.

Catch can is the last item on the list. I was going to do an AOS, but I like the idea of a catch can better. Don't really care for any of the units on the market though, especially considering the price for such cheap quality hoses and things. Probably going to make my own using all AN fittings and stuff. All black too, so it blends in with the rest of the components under the hood and looks OEM.

Looking into doing the shifter bushings too, as the shifter feels a little loose. Not a fan of short shifters, but after feeling a car with upgraded bushings, I'm fan, so I'll be going that route.

Other than that, probably going to do an exhaust. I'm tired of the silence haha.

A few other cosmetic changes in mind, but they aren't very high on the priority list. F1 rear fog light and JDM front grille are pretty much all that comes to mind. I'll get to it at some point.

Too busy enjoying the car as is though:D

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got almost -2deg of camber on the stock suspension. Are you sure you need camber bolts?
I thought about that, but after looking, it seems like the results vary from one person to the next. Like some people are able to get -2 and some can only get like -1.5. Maybe they weren't being installed correctly by some people?

Seeing how the bolts are only $30, and I'd have to get the alignment done regardless, I'm fine with just getting them to be sure. Plus, with the aftermarket bolts, I can always add a little more if I wanted.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got some neat little ricer trinkets this past week:D

STI 1.3bar Radiator Cap

STI Side Skirts and Rear Spats

Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings

All that's left for the exterior is the JDM grille and rear fog light. That, and wheels lol.

I'm hoping the shifter bushings get rid of the slop from the stock shifter. The car didn't always want to get the 2-3 gear shift when shifting at high RPMs at the track. I'll probably add the Whiteline Positive Shift Kit and STI Group N Trans Mount as well, since I'll be under there anyways, but we'll see. I might just start with these and see if that does the trick.

Just need to build a catch can setup and get the brake pads swapped out and then the car should be good to go again for another day at the track.

Just finished an 800 mile round trip this past week. Hit 6,000 miles during the trip too. Car is still doing great. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Got some neat little ricer trinkets this past week:D

STI 1.3bar Radiator Cap

Image Link

STI Side Skirts and Rear Spats

Image Link

Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings

Image Link

All that's left for the exterior is the JDM grille and rear fog light. That, and wheels lol.

I'm hoping the shifter bushings get rid of the slop from the stock shifter. The car didn't always want to get the 2-3 gear shift when shifting at high RPMs at the track. I'll probably add the Whiteline Positive Shift Kit and STI Group N Trans Mount as well, since I'll be under there anyways, but we'll see. I might just start with these and see if that does the trick.

Just need to build a catch can setup and get the brake pads swapped out and then the car should be good to go again for another day at the track.

Just finished an 800 mile round trip this past week. Hit 6,000 miles during the trip too. Car is still doing great. Couldn't be happier.

I think the factory radiator caps on the STI are already higher pressure.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts