IW STi Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Well that doesn't sound like a bearing :)

SAFE!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a 2016 sti with just under 3000 miles. I have a similar rattle when my rpms drop from 3200 to 2500. I never had this issue with my 2014 sti and that had the same engine. I never got on it during the break in period. I changed the oil after clearing over 1000 miles to Motul 8100 Eco-Nergy 5W30 that I bought from Mach V. I had a few shavings but nothing to bad. I'll post a video below and let me hear your input. You can hear the rattle a little between shift from when the rpms drop. But you can really hear it from 0:30-0:40. Sorry for the crappy video lol.

https://youtu.be/iuBNlze4Z5g
I turned off my radio off the other day put my windows up and listened. My car makes the exact same noises. I am told the STI transmissions are noisy and we are just hearing minor noises from the internal workings. You can even hear a slight noise in a garage in neutral with the clutch out like a rotational gear noise. In second gear on decel around town I can hear the trans slight whining. When you put poly mounts on these cars you can really hear the trans noises.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Had a miata in 1991 had the same type of sound only at a 400 rpm range 2700-3100 aftermarket hks exhaust and millen headers, the culprit loose heat shield. Maybe something in the exhaust is loose and resonates just at the right frequency. It might not be that bad, we all assume the worst.

·
Registered
271 Posts
check engine mounts. my 2016 had the nut unscrew and fall off on the drivers side. had the same symptoms. clunky, rattle. especially on shifting. i discovered when i did oil change and found a nice new nut laying in the undertray. looked around and saw it was from the mount. the passenger side was loose also.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts