IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently on route to subaru covered under the lawsuit warranty. Has a little over 28000 miles was bough brand new. Never modded and oil changed regularly at dealership.
Car developed a knock so i made an appointment but engine blew before the appointment.

car was babied and ive always been a subi guy but after reading about the lawsuit and them knowlingly selling a defective car has put a sour taste in my mouth. So i have two questions?
How is reliability after blown engine(shit?) and is there anything i should ask or tell the dealership prior?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I will ask, ty so much.
even if you dont get a type RA shortblock, the car can still be reliable, i'm sure with whatever lawsuit they fixed whatever the issue was. but if you can get a type RA block, even if you have to spend a little more (i dont think they are much more than the standard one), it's worth it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
even if you dont get a type RA shortblock, the car can still be reliable, i'm sure with whatever lawsuit they fixed whatever the issue was. but if you can get a type RA block, even if you have to spend a little more (i dont think they are much more than the standard one), it's worth it.
Yeah i dont think ill be worried about the type ra block bc im most likely going to sell this car bc
im just hoping the dealership isn’t a pita.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had to call them today around 4pm bc i heard from no one. I have to pay 1280 to look at the car and make sure its covered under warranty. They also want my maintenance records so now i need to call the dealership and get that. Im worried i might not be able to get some info from last year bc i was living in another state and it didnt use the dealership. I knew this was gonna be a lot. I just have a feeling im going to somehow get screwed and having to pay an insane amount of money to get this replaced.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I had to call them today around 4pm bc i heard from no one. I have to pay 1280 to look at the car and make sure its covered under warranty. They also want my maintenance records so now i need to call the dealership and get that. Im worried i might not be able to get some info from last year bc i was living in another state and it didnt use the dealership. I knew this was gonna be a lot. I just have a feeling im going to somehow get screwed and having to pay an insane amount of money to get this replaced.
i'm sorry what? a dealership is making you pay 1280 to LOOK at the car, that's an absolutely ABSURD price for an inspection. i'd be going to a different stealership

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i'm sorry what? a dealership is making you pay 1280 to LOOK at the car, that's an absolutely ABSURD price for an inspection. i'd be going to a different stealership
Their explantation was they needed to make sure its covered under warranty. Are they supposed to look at with no charge? Im asking, not trying to sound like a dick.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
This is typical of a potential warranty scenario. I had the same thing happen to me on a previous car. The dealership will typically notify the customer of the inspection charge in the event the failure is not covered under warranty. Call Subaru of America and see what they can do for you. Do your best to provide receipts and evidence of the maintenance performed on the vehicle. If you do not, it makes it easier for the situation to lean in the wrong direction.

Reactions: a5m

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Their explantation was they needed to make sure its covered under warranty. Are they supposed to look at with no charge? Im asking, not trying to sound like a dick.
i wouldnt say no charge, i can understand a diagnostic charge which would be refunded if it was in fact under warranty, but a diagnostic charge should NOT be 1280, MAYBE like 2 hours of labor tops, which in most areas, would be like 200-300 bucks. so that much to me seems a bit ridiculous. i worked as a service advisor for a subaru performance shop, and NEVER have we had a diagnostic go for more than 2-3 hundred (with the exception of a wiring issue that took hours to find, but then, the initial was 2 hours of labor, and from there we called the customer, explained everything, and proceeded ONLY when we got the ok that it would be a further charge.).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i wouldnt say no charge, i can understand a diagnostic charge which would be refunded if it was in fact under warranty, but a diagnostic charge should NOT be 1280, MAYBE like 2 hours of labor tops, which in most areas, would be like 200-300 bucks. so that much to me seems a bit ridiculous. i worked as a service advisor for a subaru performance shop, and NEVER have we had a diagnostic go for more than 2-3 hundred (with the exception of a wiring issue that took hours to find, but then, the initial was 2 hours of labor, and from there we called the customer, explained everything, and proceeded ONLY when we got the ok that it would be a further charge.).
they are saying the have to completely open the engine. Look at the bearings.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Not the first ive herd of this, this is actually a pretty common thing at least around my area. Usually when cars come in under warranty, the repair is considered warranty UNTIL its proven that its not or not a warranty matter. With these cars I think dealerships operate a little different. These cars are known to blow up, and its a known fact. Its also a known fact that this happens due to lack of maintenance, abuse, user error, and aftermarket software. Again all known facts. Im not saying this is your case but im just generalizing the obvious.

The reason they are charging you this $1280 is for the tech to remove the engine and tear it down for inspection. In the event that they find something and its determined that its no longer a warranty repair....well then both the tech and the dealership have to get paid for their work since they cant collect it from the manufacture under a warranty repair claim. They ask you first to approve this charge that way there are no issues at the end or mid way through. It's an agreed upon charge that is authorized prior to work being done. I would like to think that the $1280 is including putting it all back together for you in the event that you decline repairs. I would DOUBLE check with them on that before authorizing anything.

PS, this is the busy season in the auto biz....... no dealers have loaner cars right now LoL

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited Pure Red wing delete not by choice
182 Posts
This all makes me think about a conversation that I had with a friend that used to run a tuning shop. (www.jnztuning.com) He used to be the parts manager back in the day at a Mitsubishi dealer. He said dealers DO NO want to do warranty work, tech's DO Not want to do warranty work. They will do what they can to either make it go away, or make it "non" warranty. The shop gets almost half the labor rate and hours and the tech's get half the labor rate and less hours to complete the job....and if it comes back then it gets done again free. I told him that I swapped out the cat back on my 2020 STI and I was doing Anti-sway bars. he keeps saying, if you need to bring it in for
"warranty service" swap them back. My dealer's service writer gave me a not so happy look when I said that I changed the cat back.....

·
Registered
679 Posts
back when i worked at a dealership it was even less than that...our master tech/lead tech avoided those jobs an passed them to us as he was flat rate so us hourly guys would get paid and he would make his hours...there were a few that paid more but he verified before doing the job...

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Above two comments...exactly why when I failed ringlands, I didn't even consider taking it in for warranty. You'll get the laziest, quickest job to get it in and out of the dealership...quality be damned.

OP: No matter what, you'll always be susceptible to rod bearing failures. Subaru runs too little clearance on all their engines. Better to bite the bullet and have an "enthusiast" shop put in a new crank, rods, and bearings, and proper clearance the bearings.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Above two comments...exactly why when I failed ringlands, I didn't even consider taking it in for warranty. You'll get the laziest, quickest job to get it in and out of the dealership...quality be damned.

OP: No matter what, you'll always be susceptible to rod bearing failures. Subaru runs too little clearance on all their engines. Better to bite the bullet and have an "enthusiast" shop put in a new crank, rods, and bearings, and proper clearance the bearings.
Lol too late now. Its at the dealership. They confirmed its the bearings. The dealerships make it a lil difficult to get maintenance records

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Lol too late now. Its at the dealership. They confirmed its the bearings. The dealerships make it a lil difficult to get maintenance records
if they fix it under warrnaty, cool. but if they dont, you can always tow the car to a performance shop and have it built or done right with a type ra block.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts