IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #81 (Edited)
Vinyl Wrapped Interior Trim and Car Update

I decided I didn't like the red plastidip trim I did so I decided to remove it. My kids helped me peel it off and their amazement mirrored mine. I am still floored by the ability to just peel off paint...

I was reading an article on Jalopnik.com about a guy who flips cars. He wraps trim pieces that have lost their factory shine. I have never vinyl wrapped anything before, but I purchased some dark aluminum 3M vinyl off of amazon.com and gave it a go. First try doesn't look too bad but I can do better on the edges:

Also, big changes coming to the STI. I had ordered the Killer B 2 bolt header a while back when I found one in stock and also had ordered the flex fuel kit from Cobb. Since I needed a custom tune to run the header, I set up an appointment with Turn in Concepts in Cincinnati and am taking my car up there tonight to get some work done. I'll get it back during the middle of next week and it will be running the new killer b ELH, grimmspeed uppipe, AOS, e85, and some other upgrades for a possible turbo upgrade down the road.

It seems the Cobb Accessport was a gateway drug that has put me on a dark path...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: My Stage 3 2016 DGM STI

ELH and Stage 3, that is going to be just an absolute ridiculous car. I hope when its my time nothing crazy happens and there will still be KillerB ELH available. You are a year ahead of exactly where I would like to be with performance mods, or at least I hope so. Can't wait to see some numbers from TiC. I plan to make a trip there at some point soon for a baseline dyno.

I don't recall reading, are you still on stock motor mounts? That may be worth considering now with so much power running through that engine how much its going to fling around in the bay.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

ELH and Stage 3, that is going to be just an absolute ridiculous car. I hope when its my time nothing crazy happens and there will still be KillerB ELH available. You are a year ahead of exactly where I would like to be with performance mods, or at least I hope so. Can't wait to see some numbers from TiC. I plan to make a trip there at some point soon for a baseline dyno.

I don't recall reading, are you still on stock motor mounts? That may be worth considering now with so much power running through that engine how much its going to fling around in the bay.
I don't think my numbers are going to b crazy high... I'd guess around 330whp or so but hopefully I'm surprised. I never even thought about mounts. TiC didn't mention them so hopefully they aren't necessary at this stage and I didn't screw up!

·
Registered
41 Posts

I don't think my numbers are going to b crazy high... I'd guess around 330whp or so but hopefully I'm surprised. I never even thought about mounts. TiC didn't mention them so hopefully they aren't necessary at this stage and I didn't screw up!
Doubt the mounts are necessary, but more of a do it for the feeling that everything is connected and tight.

Just because its fun I will guess 330 on 93 pump...closer to 380 on e85.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Hey whatwarranty?
Did you have to loosen the oil line hex head on the right front (passenger side) to be able to remove the fuel line guard to install the injectors? I did, but I saw that there was a hole through the bolt shafts to feed oil, now I'm kinda freaking out that there might be a torque spec on that bolt.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Hey whatwarranty?
Did you have to loosen the oil line hex head on the right front (passenger side) to be able to remove the fuel line guard to install the injectors? I did, but I saw that there was a hole through the bolt shafts to feed oil, now I'm kinda freaking out that there might be a torque spec on that bolt.
I wasn't able to remove that side's bracket all the way. I had to leave it loose on the front (towards headlights) and manipulate it out of the way in order to reach the injectors. I do not recall having to mess with any type of lines feeding in.

They probably do make them, but I remember about a decade ago when they made Hayne's manuals and the like for almost all makes and models. Do they make accessible service manuals for our cars so you know what torque settings go for each bolt?

·
Registered
13 Posts

Nope, don't have the torque spec. I'm just wondering if the bolt has to be in a certain position to feed oil. I wonder if a dealership's service center would tell me.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #89

Nope, don't have the torque spec. I'm just wondering if the bolt has to be in a certain position to feed oil. I wonder if a dealership's service center would tell me.
My car is getting work done so I can't go take a look at mine to see if I can tell. I would call and see if anyone is kind enough to help you out. I am sure someone would help you out.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Got the car back from TiC

I got my car back from Turn in Concepts yesterday. Horsepower numbers were significantly lower than I anticipated, but torque was significantly higher. On about a 67% ethanol mixture (time of the year ethanol content is lower here) I am pushing about 307 whp and about 370 ft/lbs torque. I have heard that TiC's dyno is extremely low reading, and numbers aren't everything to me. I wanted the car to feel responsive and I have that now. Horsepower and torque will increase as the ethanol content moves up. I doubt I will ever actually see 85% ethanol content, but I'd be happy with 75 or so.

I thought I would miss the unequal length rumble, but I really don't. I think it sounds much better now with the ELH installed. Although, I can barely hear anything when the EWG screams. That may be the only mistake I made this round of mods. It is quite loud, but it does sound mean. I may end up rerouting the dump pipe back into the down pipe to quiet it down and let me hear more turbo noises at some point but I am happy now.

Everyone at TiC was quite nice. I am very pleased with everything, but if I had to be picky, there are a lot of rattles coming from the heat shield area. Rattles drive me crazy so I need to go out and fix that because it is taking away from the enjoyment. Overall great experience and I wish they were closer so it wouldn't take a week or so to get things done.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Re: 2016 DGM STI stage3 + ELH and Flex Fuel

Installed the chargespeed Carbon fiber grille over the weekend and I'm not thrilled with the looks. It chipped away when trying to insert the screws, mesh wire is cheap, and figment is slightly off. To make things worse, you can see too much of the inner metal work so that would need to be trimmed away to make it look cleaner.

Some pics:

·
Registered
119 Posts

I just stumbled on your build thread and saw you're in Lex. Very cool to see someone local to me going all out on the mods. I feel like I'm the only STI around given the weird looks my car gets from people in town.

I'm not nearly as far along in the power mods as you, just rocking an ELH and Cobb catback. Even on a e-tune I'm blown away on how much better the car pulls and drives now. I couldn't imagine the stage 3. BTW I LOVE the sound of the ELH as well.

Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #94 (Edited)

I just stumbled on your build thread and saw you're in Lex. Very cool to see someone local to me going all out on the mods. I feel like I'm the only STI around given the weird looks my car gets from people in town.

I'm not nearly as far along in the power mods as you, just rocking an ELH and Cobb catback. Even on a e-tune I'm blown away on how much better the car pulls and drives now. I couldn't imagine the stage 3. BTW I LOVE the sound of the ELH as well.

Keep up the good work.
I know what you mean... I think the wing helps attract those looks around here. If it was a v8 mustang with that wing, maybe it'd blend in more LOL. I see a really clean looking 2004/05 STI every now and then at the Meijer near the Fayette mall. That's about it...

I really like the ELH as well. I think the car sounds a lot better imo. I did it with other power mods so I can't tell how much it did alone, but I think it helped bump up torque.

Did you install the items yourself before you got the eTune?

·
Registered
119 Posts

Yup, I love the risk/reward of tearing a perfectly good car apart just to make it marginally better. :tup:

So far I've done all my own wrench turning; easy stuff so far with just the ELH, AOS, cat back, bushings, tranny mount, short shifter, pitch stop, etc... But the E85 conversion is more than I think I would want to tackle.

Right now I'm trying to convince myself to do engine mounts and a killer b oil pick up tube. But I really don't want to drop that header. I should have planned a bit better and did them all at the same time. Oh well...

When I wear a suit I love watching people at stop lights. They always start at the wing then get this surprised look when they don't see a teenager in cargo shorts. You're right, no one would care if I was driving a mustang.

I'll keep my eye open for the sound of a fellow ELH STI when I'm over on that side of town.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
Rear Cargo Net Installed

Installed a rear cargo net today. I don't always take the STI to get groceries, but when I do I prefer them to not fly around the trunk as I take corners. I actually picked it up off of Amazon. Not instructions that I found anywhere, but it was pretty easy to do. Neat thing is that it folds up and zips up into a pouch when not in use.

EDIT: used to have a picture here, but photo bucket sucks and I don't feel like fixing this one for a picture of a net.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Re: Rear Cargo Net Installed

Installed a rear cargo net today. I don't always take the STI to get groceries, but when I do I prefer them to not fly around the trunk as I take corners. I actually picked it up off of Amazon. Not instructions that I found anywhere, but it was pretty easy to do. Neat thing is that it folds up and zips up into a pouch when not in use.

[URL=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/bhickey333/IMG_6776_zps4lxcv59v.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

I like mine as well. I keep. It out all the time and it holds my emergency kit with jumper cables, LED light bar, absorber towel, detail spray, etc. All the small essentials that you carry around and don't want rolling around in the trunk.

·
Registered
198 Posts

Is there a "recommended" net? More along the lines that doesn't need any thing major done to get it installed.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

·
Registered
740 Posts

Love the build. My car is very similar. Maybe I missed it but have you had this tuned yet? Curious what sort of numbers your car is making. I just did my flexfuel, injectors, rails, and ELH. Got my car pro tuned and our builds are very similar.. I have to say I may never run pump gas again.

81 - 100 of 208 Posts