IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: My Stage 3 2016 DGM STI

nice build. i like the red accents..... thats what ive been doing to my 15 sti since i got it, but more under the hood accents than interior.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #62

nice build. i like the red accents..... thats what ive been doing to my 15 sti since i got it, but more under the hood accents than interior.
Thanks! I don't typically modify interiors for cosmetic purposes, but I figured with Plastidip, what the hell. If it starts looking bad, I can (hopefully!) just peel it right off and it won't look any worse for wear.

·
Registered
41 Posts

So I have been calling around trying to locate the best place to get Xpel vinyl wrap when the car comes in. Talking to the guy at Blue Grass Motorsports in Louisville will do the full front incl hood for 1300 and then with leftovers will do the A-pillars and some parts on the side for 1600. Takes 2-3 days depending on the weather for it to cure in their building. Like you, mine wont be a daily, but I take enough trips to Atlanta and hours on I75 is not kind on the front end.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

So I have been calling around trying to locate the best place to get Xpel vinyl wrap when the car comes in. Talking to the guy at Blue Grass Motorsports in Louisville will do the full front incl hood for 1300 and then with leftovers will do the A-pillars and some parts on the side for 1600. Takes 2-3 days depending on the weather for it to cure in their building. Like you, mine wont be a daily, but I take enough trips to Atlanta and hours on I75 is not kind on the front end.
That seems so expensive, but at the same time you're protecting a $35k plus investment with that amount. I thought my paint looked pretty great, but when I took off the bumper to install the grille and horns, I noticed quite a few areas where a rock/bug/debris bumped it at just the right angle and took it down to the plastic. I couldn't notice it from normal standing or washing because it looked normal since the car is dark and the plastic was dark as well. I was able to tell a lot more on my silver 04 wrx since it stood out like debris stuck on it.

I may have to think about wrapping it as well, but I can't help but feel like I can spend that money on a turbo upgrade or protune LOL.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Yeah my Silver RX-8 was a thing of nightmares with the rock chips in that bumper. After that I had to assume vinyl wrap as a sunk cost into buying a new car. I agree sucks to pay for because there is no performance gain or aesthetic gain. It really is just an issue of how much it bothers you.

I always have option 3 which is let me wife drive it and eventually she will rear end someone, voila new bumper and hood.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #66

Yeah my Silver RX-8 was a thing of nightmares with the rock chips in that bumper. After that I had to assume vinyl wrap as a sunk cost into buying a new car. I agree sucks to pay for because there is no performance gain or aesthetic gain. It really is just an issue of how much it bothers you.

I always have option 3 which is let me wife drive it and eventually she will rear end someone, voila new bumper and hood.
Haha. Option 3... I hear you on that.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I may have set the record for order time...
Ordered 11/17
Build 2/16
Expected Delivery 3/7
Just feels good to actually have a date now. Now if it could stay above freezing and rain a couple of times in the next 3 weeks I would be happy. As a native Georgian salt sucks and have no desire to drive on salty roads.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

I may have set the record for order time...
Ordered 11/17
Build 2/16
Expected Delivery 3/7
Just feels good to actually have a date now. Now if it could stay above freezing and rain a couple of times in the next 3 weeks I would be happy. As a native Georgian salt sucks and have no desire to drive on salty roads.
Awesome! I bet it feels good. I know exactly what you are saying about salt. My wife keeps making fun of me for having an AWD car but I don't take it out in the snow or even rain LOL. I have a truck I can use as a daily driver so I don't need to take the Subaru. I just want to and wish it wasn't raining/snowing/icey out.

·
Registered
106 Posts

I've had my STi since June of 2015. I've kept adequate spacing between cars, don't follow behind semis, and so on. Still have three or four rock chips down to the primer. It is what it is. I'm not going to be too anal for some things that just can't be prevented. After all, Chicago weather and roads are nothing short of ridiculous. Road salt practically repaint your car white. Ohhhhhh well just enjoy the ride!

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #70 (Edited)
Front Lip Installed

I had purchased a front lip from JNA Performance last week and got around to installing it today after work. Looks pretty good. Now I just need to install the RCE Yellows and the outside will essentially be done. If the weather is good this weekend, I will put them on.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Looks great! Looking forward to drop pics. I really like the route your taking with everything.
I've never installed springs before so I have been procrastinating. The weather is supposed to be good again this weekend so I just need to get my butt out in the garage and do it. I look forward to getting rid of some of that gap above the wheels. I am hoping it sits better and improves the looks (which I am sure it will).

I appreciate the kind words!

·
Registered
41 Posts

Mine came in yesterday, once I detail the car this weekend I will start my journal. The way the car feels on the road instantly made the wait worth it; how it just begs to be taken around turns feels exponentially better than anything I have driven in the past. I am counting down the miles now to get past that break in period. We should be getting good weather this weekend so I am ready to get out and eat up some miles.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #74

Mine came in yesterday, once I detail the car this weekend I will start my journal. The way the car feels on the road instantly made the wait worth it; how it just begs to be taken around turns feels exponentially better than anything I have driven in the past. I am counting down the miles now to get past that break in period. We should be getting good weather this weekend so I am ready to get out and eat up some miles.
Awesome! I look forward to seeing it and your journal. The car is a blast to drive and is even better past the break in period. Enjoy!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Cobb Stage 3 and Issues

I ordered the Cobb Stage 3 kit right after Thanksgiving. Without going into too much detail, the whole process was very stressful. Cobb sent my packages, UPS lost a package, UPS found the package, Cobb had not put random pieces into the package, etc. After a few days, I went ahead with the installation (which was also quite stressful).

Laying out some of the pieces:

[URL=http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu231/bhickey333/2016%20WRX%20STI/IMG_4209_zpstmpdxar7.jpg]Image Link
[/URL]

I installed everything alone or with the help of my dad. Just being honest, but installation was a PITA! More than a few times I found myself stopping in the middle of removing vital pieces of the motor and asking myself, "Why am I doing this to a brand new car?" The obvious answer is I am a moron who does not value money. Moving on....

The whole process took a lot longer than I originally thought it would (not the first time nor last time I will say this). Fuel injectors took about 6 hours (first time ever doing it so others may be a lot quicker). Fuel pump took about 90 minutes. Fuel Pressure Regulator took about 2 hours.

Downpipes took way longer than it should have. I had trouble breaking the bolt on top of the turbo closest to the passenger side. The turbo sits back a little behind the windshield/hood line up top, so I was nervous to use various extensions, flex heads, etc. I psyched myself out because I was worried about rounding the bolt. After trying for about an hour, I decided to spray it with WD-40 and give it a half hour. Came back out after 15 minutes (I am impatient), and found I could unscrew it with my fingers. Another 15 minutes and I had the new Cobb unit on.

So right now I am running Cobb Stage 3 OTS 93 map. I don't have a catback on it since that was on backorder, but I don't care. The car sounds a lot meaner with the downpipes anyway, and I don't think our exhaust system is too bad from the factory.

The car feels a lot stronger now, and I am really enjoying it. This is how the car should have came from the factory in my opinion. I took a lot of pictures during the installation, but they were mostly for me to remember where wires went and how things were tucked away. I don't think they are probably enjoyable to look at so I left them off the post.

p.s.
I did install the Perrin pitch stop mount, but not the lava blanket form the photo.

Hey does Cobb provide instructions for replacing the injectors? I ordered the stage 3 and that's the only part of the installation I too am worried about.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Re: Cobb Stage 3 and Issues

Hey does Cobb provide instructions for replacing the injectors? I ordered the stage 3 and that's the only part of the installation I too am worried about.
No or at least none that I ever found. Cobb typically puts up pretty good install instructions, but they didn't seem to want to do it on the injectors. Cobbtuning.com/install makes it look like they have something, but the documents end up being more about the injectors themselves and not about how to install.

If I had to rate the install difficulty on a scale of 1-10, 10 being most difficult, it was a 7. Doing it a second time, it would probably be a 5 due to learning from my mistakes.

Passenger side was much more difficult in my opinion. Driver side wasn't too bad once you realize you have to remove other parts to get to it.

I only have average tools, average mechanical ability, and average understanding of how this motor works. If I can do it, I think anyone can. I will say that the job was stressful and long, but it saved me a lot of money doing it myself and I learned a lot about my car.

I'd be glad to give you a little walk through of what I did if you want. It wouldn't be the most detailed thing in the world, but it may help.

61 - 80 of 208 Posts