IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2016 STI with just under 40K miles. 35K of those with mods (cobb downpipe, flex fuel). I started smelling coolant a couple of weeks ago, and finally was able to identify where it is winding up, but I can't tell where it's originating, as it is so tight in this area. A couple of pics are attached. Photographed area is under the turbo.

I'm going to have a shop do the repairs, but I would like to go in there sounding like I know what I'm talking about :) Any thoughts on source of the leak and complexity of the repair appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump. anyone, thoughts on where the coolant may be coming from to land in this area? the leak is very small, loses a few ounces a month.

·
Administrator
8,158 Posts
I can't quite tell where that is, but the 2 areas i'd be checking are the upper and lower coolant hoses where they connect to the radiator, as well as the lower radiator. When I had my 06, I had 2 issues: I had 2 radiators fail due to the plastic separating from the core and then later had my radiator fan come into contact with the upper radiator hose and it ended up bursting.

The issues with the radiators is the plastic. The upper and lower inlets are plastic and after heat cycling they can crack pretty easily. I eventually replaced it with a mishimoto all aluminum radiator and never had the issue after that.

·
Administrator
8,158 Posts
Check the hoses near the upper reservoir, as it should be right above the red circle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i did check there, they look clean. the leak seems to be coming from below... will double check though, can't hurt. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks like i found the leak. this is a pic looking down at the turbo, looks like it's coming from a coolant line in that area. My mods were done at P&L, but they are over an hour drive so I am going to either take it to a good independent shop or a local dealer...

How involved is the repair? Something that an independent will be able to handle or would I be better off at the dealership? Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
its really not that bad, labor time is high due to removing the turbo...looks like the return line seal failed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts