IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded in my 2015 STI for a 2015 premium WRX and I called the insurance company, Progressive, and my rate didn't change at all? Any idea why? There is a 7k price difference between the two and I thought the STI was considered a sports car?

Any insight is great. I was hoping to save some money on insurance.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Because they are both considered an Impereza. I had the same talk with several agents. Most insurance companies don't actually have a category for the WRX let alone the WRX STI. It's very weird IMO

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a feeling that all might change soon now that the WRX has branched from the Impreza. I expect it to be more expensive in the future, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I feel your pain, which is why everyone was trying to make sure you realize what you were doing before you traded. I made this same mistake a few years back, now I have learned to call and get quotes before you make a car purchase. I wanted to save money and figured all the money I would save on car payments and insurance would put me were I wanted to be and boy was I wrong. I traded a 2012 Mustang GT for a 2012 Ford F150. Sports car to more economical truck. The truck was $50 more a month than the mustang. I wanted to save atleast $100 a month not spend more.

On a side note I cant seem to quite figure out the insurance system. My 2014 mustang gt was $900 a yr, awesome because my 2012 Mustang was $1750 a yr (1 accident 5 yrs ago dropped off and I go from $1750-900, who knows). I figured 2015 STI 5 stars safety rating verses Mustang 4 Stars safety rating. Should be less than $900 right? Nope $400 more. Its crazy!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went from an 08 WRX to a 15 STi and my insurance went down. Apparently I have been getting ripped off over the years. Despite trying every year to get a better deal, there was no wiggle room. Best thing to do is shop around.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
To be honest, there are way too many variables with insurance quotes. You can go to one company today and get a quote for $2000/yr, call another company and it's $1000/yr. Call those same companies in a week and the first company is now $900/yr and the second is 1500/year.

We should all just shop around periodically. My rates went up because accident forgiveness came to my state. What a load of shit.

My car is listed as a station wagon, so that helps. But honestly I should be shopping around, because quotes vary so wildly all the time

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree, shopping around is best. Cant find anything cheaper then what I have right now though. Have a 2015 Cherokee and 2015 STI, have full coverage with rental, roadside etc and pay $1600/year total

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I care is that I pay $56/month on my 2015 STI for full coverage with $500 deductible so I am happy. Geico that is!!
How, geico quoted me going down when I bought the car to $86. Than I got my renew notice and it went to $156. I called and complained how they told me one thing and did another to no avail as they said they redid the rates for this year.

·
Registered
832 Posts
To be honest, there are way too many variables with insurance quotes. You can go to one company today and get a quote for $2000/yr, call another company and it's $1000/yr. Call those same companies in a week and the first company is now $900/yr and the second is 1500/year.

We should all just shop around periodically. My rates went up because accident forgiveness came to my state. What a load of shit.

My car is listed as a station wagon, so that helps. But honestly I should be shopping around, because quotes vary so wildly all the time
+1

To add to it. Usually new STi owners are mature/older than WRX fanbois.. hence the higher rates for a car that cost less and has less power.

·
Registered
218 Posts
How, geico quoted me going down when I bought the car to $86. Than I got my renew notice and it went to $156. I called and complained how they told me one thing and did another to no avail as they said they redid the rates for this year.
Insurance rates are incredibly tough to compare one person versus another. Where you live (region, state, city and even neighborhood), rates of natural disasters, percentage of uninsured motorists, married vs. unmarried, previous driving record, credit score, etc. The list goes on-and-on for how insurance wizards come up with their numbers.

The one thing that's for certain is you should shop around every year or two and get the best price because variables change for each company every year. I don't mean just the main companies, (Geico, Progressive, AllState) don't forget the smaller insurance companies in your area.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sounds like I should shop around.. I'm 26, almost 27 and my insurance for the STI and WRX are both $120 a month with progressive. I have a clean driving record, no accidents for 10 years, and good credit.

Btw, what is the best way to get a quote from mutual companies without calling each for quotes? Any websites that do it all relatively quickly?

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
It sounds like I should shop around.. I'm 26, almost 27 and my insurance for the STI and WRX are both $120 a month with progressive. I have a clean driving record, no accidents for 10 years, and good credit.

Btw, what is the best way to get a quote from mutual companies without calling each for quotes? Any websites that do it all relatively quickly?
Mine is pretty similar through Allstate. I think it was like 80 something a month before stupid accident forgiveness popped up.

Another thing that makes this apples to oranges is that done ppl carry minimal full coverage, but I for example carry the maximum for liabilityand uninsured coverage. There's way too many dipshits around here with no insurance, and way too many multi car crashes.

·
Premium Member
870 Posts
$165/month for a 15sti and a 14 explorer sport. Granted I'm married and 28 with no accidents *knocks on wood* but it definitely went up $20/month when I went from a 14' wax to the 15' sti.

The question now is; how do I get insurance for a highly modded 15 sti without paying way too much, or having them drop me altogether?

·
Premium Member
870 Posts

Find a brokerage firm, they give you the best rates.

·
Super Moderator
8,810 Posts
It's really hard to compare rates without knowing limits, deductibles, and other coverage details. I pay $1600 a year for my 2015 STI and a 2015 Honda Odyssey, but I have the full limits required for additional umbrella insurance, rental coverage, and a $1,000 deductible (I self-insure as much as possible).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts