IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

What I have is a 2015 WRX STI Limited Long Block and Turbo for sale.

This car had just over 30k miles and developed a knock at about 2500 rpm. It was quiet at idle. Total drive distance from first sound to replacement was about 15 miles.
I replaced it with new Subaru parts.

I have not torn it down to see what failed. There was some metal filings in the oil pan and in the filter but no big fragments or shrapnel. I would guess the turbo is fine. The Cylinder Heads and Camshafts showed no signs of damage and were reused.

I'm an ASE Certified Tech with 45 years experience. That being said I don't have much experience with these cars. I assume this would be a good rebuildable unit and it would be a shame to just scrap it.

I have no idea of value so, I am open to offers.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
You have any pics of the cams/heads or debris in the pan. Would be nice to see what the bore condition is as well (pan off at TDC). Curious to the severity. I may be interested, but fair market value really depends on how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
It is my understanding that bearing metal can get everywhere. heads, Turbo, ACVS, and oil cooler. Many shops just replace them. Some clean some of the parts. Some are successful, but to many have had second failures very soon after rebuild.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have any pics of the cams/heads or debris in the pan. Would be nice to see what the bore condition is as well (pan off at TDC). Curious to the severity. I may be interested, but fair market value really depends on how bad it is.

Took closer look this morning and it appears that #4 rod bearing is the source. You can see some bluing on the rod cap and filings in that area. I rolled it over and looked at the cylinder bores and they look fine. I did not take any pics of the heads and cams but there was no signs of damage, the journals were all smooth and clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took closer look this morning and it appears that #4 rod bearing is the source. You can see some bluing on the rod cap and filings in that area. I rolled it over and looked at the cylinder bores and they look fine. I did not take any pics of the heads and cams but there was no signs of damage, the journals were all smooth and clean.
Meant to say Crank and rod cap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts