IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Uh... yeah... right... it's just gonna be too stiff on the street without some flex. :rolleyes: :rofl:

That is what GT SPEC Said. I never said that I agree. I'm all for it.
I don't think it will be to stiff. But look at your roads in your area and make that determination.

Sorry don't get down on me for relaying why they chose to do what they did.

Again I am all for the solid bar.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
That is what GT SPEC Said. I never said that I agree. I'm all for it.
I don't think it will be to stiff. But look at your roads in your area and make that determination.

Sorry don't get down on me for relaying why they chose to do what they did.

Again I am all for the solid bar.
I'm not down on you. I'm down on them for their BS marketing. Solid bar, flexible bar, no bar at all: there's no difference on a car that has anything close to stock suspension and bushings.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm not down on you. I'm down on them for their BS marketing. Solid bar, flexible bar, no bar at all: there's no difference on a car that has anything close to stock suspension and bushings.
I see. So your saying that no matter what you do, it won't matter on a car that has stock suspension? Interesting. Theory.

So no matter what bracing you do, it won't change how the car handles since it has stock suspension and stock bushings?

That's kinda short sighted. Every change has an effect on the handleing of a car. You may not notice it in a daily driver, if you were to drive the car at it's limit I bet you would feel a difference.

Just look at Mine's and see what they accomplished by bracing and making the R-34 and EVO chassis stiffer.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I see. So your saying that no matter what you do, it won't matter on a car that has stock suspension? Interesting. Theory.

So no matter what bracing you do, it won't change how the car handles since it has stock suspension and stock bushings?

That's kinda short sighted. Every change has an effect on the handleing of a car. You may not notice it in a daily driver, if you were to drive the car at it's limit I bet you would feel a difference.

Just look at Mine's and see what they accomplished by bracing and making the R-34 and EVO chassis stiffer.
Assuming that the STI is the same as an R-34 or an Evo: that's kinda short sighted.

What I'm saying is the same thing that the top suspension experts on this car, shops like TiC and RCE, will tell you. Cornering forces flex the front subframe at the strut towers by a minute amount because of the proximity of the strut towers to the firewall (unlike, for example, the R-34). Meanwhile, the same forces flex the soft rubber stock suspension bushings by much more, so that the flex in the subframe is completely negligible in the total amount of slop there is. Add to that the fact that all the braces (that only go between towers rather than tying to the firewall, unlike, for example, Mine's Evo brace) do very little to stiffen the subframe and have little leverage to do so and you have a situation where the strut tower brace doesn't do anything for you, no matter which one you pick.

Now... a front subframe brace, which ties together (and triangulates) the suspension mounting points much further forward (and away from the firewall): that's a modification that can be argued for, even on an otherwise stock STI.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i have the cusco front brace the "OS" version. and i've seen the you tube video in japanese that shows a guy installing one on a 15. I can't for the life of me get this thing on there without it resting on the firewall. which I know will cause some nasty noises when it rubs while i drive..... i did recently have the cusco front subframe brace installed, along with the tranny mount. very happy i did them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Assuming that the STI is the same as an R-34 or an Evo: that's kinda short sighted.

What I'm saying is the same thing that the top suspension experts on this car, shops like TiC and RCE, will tell you. Cornering forces flex the front subframe at the strut towers by a minute amount because of the proximity of the strut towers to the firewall (unlike, for example, the R-34). Meanwhile, the same forces flex the soft rubber stock suspension bushings by much more, so that the flex in the subframe is completely negligible in the total amount of slop there is. Add to that the fact that all the braces (that only go between towers rather than tying to the firewall, unlike, for example, Mine's Evo brace) do very little to stiffen the subframe and have little leverage to do so and you have a situation where the strut tower brace doesn't do anything for you, no matter which one you pick.

Now... a front subframe brace, which ties together (and triangulates) the suspension mounting points much further forward (and away from the firewall): that's a modification that can be argued for, even on an otherwise stock STI.

I have to say as well as this new STi handles. Even the minor stiffening of the front end can't be seen as wrong.
But that is just me.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I have to say as well as this new STi handles. Even the minor stiffening of the front end can't be seen as wrong.
But that is just me.
Sure, but of the flexibility that exists in the front, I'd be surprised if you could reduce it 1% with any available strut tower. It's all in the bushings and, to a lesser extent, the lower mounts. So, if you want to improve rather than just look good when you open the hood, that is where to put your money: stiffer bushings and lower front subframe brace.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
the cowl will have to be trimmed to get the Cusco OS strut bar to fit. The shop I'm dealing with also thinks there is no real benefit to a front strut brace, due to its proximity to the firewall, and the "lack" of flex at that chassis point. They also said it would be mostly for looks. I'm bummed i spent $175 on a bar i can't use.... oh well. live and learn. Anyone want to buy a new bar? still has the plastic on it!! Lol

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sure, but of the flexibility that exists in the front, I'd be surprised if you could reduce it 1% with any available strut tower. It's all in the bushings and, to a lesser extent, the lower mounts. So, if you want to improve rather than just look good when you open the hood, that is where to put your money: stiffer bushings and lower front subframe brace.

I understand what your saying. As I said above my biggest point is that if the bar has a hinge on both sides it won't stiffent anything anyway.
I agree with the bushing as I said above. And the underbody structrural rigidity being enhanced with the cage.
But there is still sound evidence in stiffening the upper strut towers. Plus I can't hardly see Subaru Technica International putting the upper strut bars on cars just for the hell of it. And because it looks good.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
But there is still sound evidence in stiffening the upper strut towers.
not on this chassis.

Plus I can't hardly see Subaru Technica International putting the upper strut bars on cars just for the hell of it. And because it looks good.
That's pretty naive, considering the entire purpose of the company is to make money by selling cars: they don't make/sell cars because they want to race them, they race cars because they want to make/sell them. So, not only can you expect them to integrate marketing into their racing efforts, their entire racing effort is for the purpose of marketing. In short: if a strut bar looks good on their racers, doesn't hurt performance, and gives them something else to sell, they've got nothing to lose and everything to gain, including your hard earned cash. ;)

·
Registered
415 Posts
So your saying that they put parts on their rally cars that don't work?

Ya know you should go back and read the other posts before jumping in mid way and trying to make your point. You will notice that I totally agree. But, on the other hand there is evidence to back up what I have stated.

They want to save weight on their cars so they just put crap on them that doesn't work. That's what your saying, and they do it just to sell cars. haha
get a grip.

If you want to insult someone take it off this thread. We are not insulting people. Please be nice. Or we will have you kicked,
thanks

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
So your saying that they put parts on their rally cars that don't work?

Ya know you should go back and read the other posts before jumping in mid way and trying to make your point. You will notice that I totally agree. But, on the other hand there is evidence to back up what I have stated.

They want to save weight on their cars so they just put crap on them that doesn't work. That's what your saying, and they do it just to sell cars. haha
get a grip.

If you want to insult someone take it off this thread. We are not insulting people. Please be nice. Or we will have you kicked,
thanks
I've been posting in the thread several months longer than you have, so I'm not sure where you are coming from with "go back and read." I see you agree with me on general principles, but we do disagree on some specifics. To wit:

1) I thought you were referring to the current Nurburgring Challenge car and other similar track builds that are equipped with one of the flexible STI strut bars you can actually buy (and of which pictures have been posted in this thread). For example:

http://image.superstreetonline.com/...aru-WRX-STI-NBR-challenge-2014-under-hood.jpg

Those bars, on those cars, are just bling. Period. As a counter-example, no such bar was fitted for the IOM record car, so they don't always do this.

2) The chassis of their *rally* cars bear no resemblance to a stock STI and have so much other stiffening and bracing that one cannot compare the effectiveness of welded-on strut bar on those cars to an STI that is anywhere near stock. On those cars, for all intents and purposes, the frame of the car is more bracing than original stampings. For example, look at this, and all of the additional welded-on bracing around the strut towers, both between them and extending downward to the subframe:

Subaru Debuts 2011 WRX STI-based Rally Cars for X Games | Car and Driver Blog

3) If you don't wish to have a rational discussion informed by reason and fact, I'm not sure what I can to do change that. I'm sorry you felt insulted, but I doubt your threats and general tone are going to win you many converts either.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Bringing this back because I could not find a newer thread. I agree that a lot of these bars do not make a big enough difference in the handling for the average joe to notice. What I hear the most about chassis bracing in newer cars is that it eliminated some kind of squeak or rattle that they were getting. My last car (Chevy SS) you could buy subframe connectors for it that a lot of people thought were a waste of money. Many people would say that they elimanted some interior noises when pulling into their driveway and would provide a good support for jacking the car up. If a brace eliminated some interior noises that alone makes it worth it to me. I have heard someone with a 15+ sti say that the STB eliminated a dash noise they were getting over bumps. Not many members with a stb on the 15+ though to really say if its worth it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bringing this back because I could not find a newer thread. I agree that a lot of these bars do not make a big enough difference in the handling for the average joe to notice. What I hear the most about chassis bracing in newer cars is that it eliminated some kind of squeak or rattle that they were getting. My last car (Chevy SS) you could buy subframe connectors for it that a lot of people thought were a waste of money. Many people would say that they elimanted some interior noises when pulling into their driveway and would provide a good support for jacking the car up. If a brace eliminated some interior noises that alone makes it worth it to me. I have heard someone with a 15+ sti say that the STB eliminated a dash noise they were getting over bumps. Not many members with a stb on the 15+ though to really say if its worth it.
I have the Tanabe strut bar on my car and I can notice that my dash does not vibrate as much as it used to. I have a plastic parking pass wedged in between the console hood and the windshield and it used to vibrate like crazy over bumps but now it is not as noticeable after the strut bar. I only bought the strut bar because it was for a really good price but I know it's mostly for engine bling but it did improve some interior noise so it was worth it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Tanabe strut bar on my car and I can notice that my dash does not vibrate as much as it used to. I have a plastic parking pass wedged in between the console hood and the windshield and it used to vibrate like crazy over bumps but now it is not as noticeable after the strut bar. I only bought the strut bar because it was for a really good price but I know it's mostly for engine bling but it did improve some interior noise so it was worth it.

Awesome! Thanks for chiming in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I installed this JDM STi Flexible front strut bar: Flexible on rough uneven roads for comfortable ride and stiffens when cornering. 2 in 1 Strut bar.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts