IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. Just coming over from the dark side, a 2014 Evo and picked up my 2015 STI. Both really fun cars! I could not find this through the search function so here goes. Does anybody know if there is a SPT/STI strut tower brace available for the 2015 STI yet, perhaps as a crossover part? At this time, I’m only interested in SPT or STI parts. There is a SPT front brace available (PN SOA8431130) for the 2008-2014 STI and a STI brace (PN E4010FJ000) available for the 2012-2014 Impreza; would either of these work? Thanks to all.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was wondering about the availability myself. I asked the parts dept at the dealership if there was a 2015 version coming out. Of course, they didn't know. My guess is that there probably will be in a bit. If you notice the engine compartment pics of the Nurbergring 2015 STI, they have a SPT front strut brace. It would be interesting to see if the 2014 brace is compatible with the 2015.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Greetings. Just coming over from the dark side, a 2014 Evo and picked up my 2015 STI. Both really fun cars! I could not find this through the search function so here goes. Does anybody know if there is a SPT/STI strut tower brace available for the 2015 STI yet, perhaps as a crossover part? At this time, I’m only interested in SPT or STI parts. There is a SPT front brace available (PN SOA8431130) for the 2008-2014 STI and a STI brace (PN E4010FJ000) available for the 2012-2014 Impreza; would either of these work? Thanks to all.
Some Strut brace from the GR-chassis will not fit. My Cusco strut bar from my '13 Sti did not fit. You can ask Perrin if their strut bar will fit.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
A strut tower bar without a third anchor point into the body of the vehicle (essentially forming a triangle) is pretty much useless and just adds extra weight.

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk
Yes, and as with previous model, the proximity of the strut towers to the firewall means there is very little flex there to start with. Strut braces are just bling on these cars.

A front under brace makes more sense. I don't know if there is one for the 2015 yet, but I'm sure there will be. Whiteline and GT Spec had the best designs on the GR/GV IMHO and the difference is noticeable on cars that have stiffer bushings than stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What are your thoughts on the 2 cars? I have wanted an Evolution for years, but just put a deposit down on an STI.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I have a 2013 STI with both the SPT lower chassis brace and the SPT front strut bar. After 13 track days and 22,000 miles, my opinion is that the front strut bar isn't noticeable at all. The lower chassis brace gives a more direct turn in, and the front end feels tighter/more accurate through corners. IMO, get the lower brace and spend the rest of your money on something that actually matters, like dual catch cans or an AOS.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I had an evoIX with front-rear strut bars Cusco

the rear one is apparently useless on Subarus because the rear suspension are basically fixed on the floor of the trunk (unlike evos where it sits higher up and can "flex") good news for me one less part needed and a usable trunk :)

the front one, on evos I already knew it had to be a 3-point one and it was (there is one front stock on evo 9)
the subaru flexibles ones are useless thats pretty obvious, the whole point of the object is not too flex

I'm still unsure if I'm not going to buy a Cusco front strut bar tough...because I don't really have much choice to try and enhance the turn-in, in Switzerland almost every mod is forbidden now, under car bars are a huge no-no if a cop sees them you are walking home :/ this bar for some reason is ok

Will definitely buy this if I find it for the 2015 sti, the PSRS w offset adding caster angle gave me a very good turn-in I loved it on my evoIX
Why You Want A PSRS For Your Car » PERRIN Performance Official Blog

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Fender Brace >> Strut Brace. In fact strut tower brace is probably the last piece of chassis work I would do to most cars. Im looking for a white paper I read on the subject a few years back. I will post it if I find it. Basically, all show no go.

And no one will ever know you have fender braces unless they take your fenders off ;).

Let the Swiss police try to get you on that

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks! I did check these out, but read that they may not work due to RHD? I am still interested in the STI/SPT brace, regardless of the performance benefits or lack thereof. However, I’m waiting to find out which fits, which doesn’t. Thanks again.
The (WRX S4) STI brace fit my LHD 2015 WRX, so I'm assuming that the STI fitment version should fit as well. Just make sure you order the correct one for the STI from the options drop-down: ST20502VV010.

LOL… that thing always kills me. The magical, flexible, strut tower brace!
It's flexible for up-down movements to retain ride comfort but remains rigid for lateral movements when you actually need the strut bar. I've used other strut bars before in my other cars. I think it performs just as Fuji Heavy Industries intended it to and I think it works well.

STI flexible tower bar movie - YouTube

Reactions: WhiteLight

·
Registered
69 Posts
From the STI Japan website: STI

The STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace was developed in our search for optimum balance. Out on the road, cars are subjected to forces from every conceivable direction, all of which have a profound impact on the car's performance and interior comfort. The STI Flexible Strut Tower Brace was designed with the aim of controlling these forces to maximize performance. The Tower Bar itself features a unique layout, divided into separate left and right sections and connected by link balls, which serves to suppress any lateral movement, while offering flexibility in the longitudinal direction. Settings have been tightened where needed, and loosened in other areas to achieve superb handling and straight-line performance, and at the same time outstanding ride comfort. The full potential of the original model has been extracted without affecting its balance. This is the ideal platform that STI believes is required for a sports car.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I agree I could never understand why they would put hinges at the ends of the strut tower bars. So I called GT Spec. And found out. It's not for performance, it's for the mass market. If a car has been in an accident a solid bar would not work if it were 5 milimeters off. You would have to trim it to make it work. They wanted to avoid that. So by putting a hinge there. It makes it easier to get on a car that has had front damage. Kinda funny, if you ask me. But that is the comment from GT Spec TODAY.. I asked wouldn't that just flex as if it wasn't there. Reply, if it were a track car you would want a solid, but since it is a Street car, you still want it to be smooth on the road. Unless you live in Japan where they actually have street maintenance... (Last comment is totally true there roads are awesome)....
So for me I want the real deal.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45598

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I agree I could never understand why they would put hinges at the ends of the strut tower bars. So I called GT Spec. And found out. It's not for performance, it's for the mass market. If a car has been in an accident a solid bar would not work if it were 5 milimeters off. You would have to trim it to make it work. They wanted to avoid that. So by putting a hinge there. It makes it easier to get on a car that has had front damage. Kinda funny, if you ask me. But that is the comment from GT Spec TODAY.. I asked wouldn't that just flex as if it wasn't there. Reply, if it were a track car you would want a solid, but since it is a Street car, you still want it to be smooth on the road. Unless you live in Japan where they actually have street maintenance... (Last comment is totally true there roads are awesome)....
So for me I want the real deal.

https://www.japanparts.com/parts/detail/45598
Uh... yeah... right... it's just gonna be too stiff on the street without some flex. :rolleyes: :rofl:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts