IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my power steering pump is going can I just remove the belt to the power steering pump and crankshaft? Would it cause any problems short term?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I believe my power steering pump is going can I just remove the belt to the power steering pump and crankshaft? Would it cause any problems short term?
Firstly what symptoms are you experiencing that points you to the power steering pump? It may be something else causing issues ( bad oring, loose belt, bad steering rack ect.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a Power steering leak to begin with. It look like it was leaking out of the reservoir and the hose connected to the reservoir I got that to stop leaking what is still leak somewhere else then I couldn’t find. Sunday I want to put on my perrin lightweight crankshaft pulley With brand new belts and ever since then it has nothing but whine and it’s like I have no power steering and the belt is real snug it’s not loose.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The only reason I ask is because there is a known issue with 2015 racks leaking. Is there still fluid left in the reservoir? It's weird that you lost power steering completely after installing the new crank pulley and belt. Does the belt have the correct amount of ribs? Is the power steering pulley rotating?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did the reservoir get low enough to pull air into the system? That could cause whine in the pump.
Also, the steering rack leak goes back before the 2015s and even affected my 2017. And yes, i've already reached (and surpassed) the mileage 2015s are experiencing it and I've had it replaced under warranty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts