IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my STi used and i think the last owner did one too many launches on it. I think i have an issue with the throw out bearing or something since i feel vibrations in the pedal when engaging and disengaging the clutch when putting/changing gears. mostly in 1st on start up. kind of like a shudder. anyhow. the clutch doesn't seem to slip on WOT once fully engaged but a couple of times when i had to reverse abruptly it smelled bad as well as the one or two times i "soft" launched it.
what aftermarket clutch kit would you recommend for a car that will one day potentially have 350-400 WTQ. i wouldn't mod it for more than that so just prepping for the future mods.

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
It's not uncommon to smell cluth sometimes if you slip it.
It's not uncommon to to experience some shudder - especially with some performance clutches.

You have provided no info about the car. Your sig suggests a VA. Still too little info. A clutch is a significant work and or expense. don't fix what aint broke. 350 torque? If you not launching it that Excedy Stage 1 organic would be my suggestion. Many will suggest a ACT HDSS. They work nicely - unless they fail. There are quite a number of good choices. I like the Excedy Racing Hyper single in my car now. But I wouldn't recommend one to most people. I beleive Excedys torque ratings are very conservative.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Southbend, ACT, and Exedy are all pretty common clutches used on sti. ACT HD street and the Southbend Stage 2 should be in your power area.

Also, make sure you replace your throwout bearing. Id recommend going with OEM over the aftermarket clutch kit ones.

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
OEM throwout bearing; they are always compatible?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
cant recommend Exedy HD Organic stage 1. I had one and it was awful to drive around town. Super heavy pressure plate, and on-off engagement.

i'd recommend a Southbend stage 2 daily for that amount of power.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
OEM throwout bearing; they are always compatible?
Well i guess it depends on the application and clutch kit. You can use an OEM throwout bearing on aftermarket clutch provided you arent going with some crazy pressure plate. The way i see it, the OEM throw out bearings usually have a pretty good "lifespan" an usually dont have issues. Like any kind of clutch set up, the driving style and power will really dictate how long things last.

·
Premium Member
5,440 Posts
You are saying they all fasten/connect/link to the PP the same way . . . for some reason I thought they did not. Perhaps becuse they all have different names for their exact mechanism - even if the are the same.

If they are the same I agree OEM.

Reactions: Jay11STI

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You are saying they all fasten/connect/link to the PP the same way . . . for some reason I thought they did not. Perhaps becuse they all have different names for their exact mechanism - even if the are the same.

If they are the same I agree OEM.
Yeah some call it a release bearing, others call it the throwout bearing. Its the same thing lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not uncommon to smell cluth sometimes if you slip it.
It's not uncommon to to experience some shudder - especially with some performance clutches.

You have provided no info about the car. Your sig suggests a VA. Still too little info. A clutch is a significant work and or expense. don't fix what aint broke. 350 torque? If you not launching it that Excedy Stage 1 organic would be my suggestion. Many will suggest a ACT HDSS. They work nicely - unless they fail. There are quite a number of good choices. I like the Excedy Racing Hyper single in my car now. But I wouldn't recommend one to most people. I beleive Excedys torque ratings are very conservative.
It's a stock clutch. But if you say it isn't uncommon to feel shudder (specifically when mine is intermittent) then i guess I'll wait it out until i really need one. it doesn't slip under normal conditions or even under hard acceleration. i suppose it still has some life left in it. I'll wait it out for now but once its due, i'll probably go exedy organic stage 1, like you said.
Thanks all for your input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts