IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Historically, IWSTI used sub forums to organize individual topics around a certain chassis, i.e. suspension, wheels/tires, interior, exterior, etc.

I decided to do an experiment, opting for an approach that uses prefixes (as opposed to sub forums) to organize individual topics when I created the 2015+ STI Forums.

Advantage: All topics appear in a single forum and members can quickly glance and find active topics of interest to them.

Disadvantage: A strong understanding of how to leverage the site's search functionality is required to search all threads on an individual topic in that forum when the forum contains hundreds of threads or thousands of posts.

The approach to organizing content using prefixes (as opposed to sub forums) received a lot of positive feedback so I decided to move forward with another experiment and give members the ability to quickly browse all recent active threads on an individual topic in the 2015+ STI Discussion Forum.

Below is a screenshot of the forum index (specifically the 2015+ STI Discussion Forum) that displays clickable prefix titles that will filter the discussion forum to show only topics assigned to that title. I have not had a chance to beta test it but I will tonight and I hope you will share your thoughts on this functionality.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
I like this organizational method. Less clicking and scrolling.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts
Better format overall.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Definitely a good choice. Very easy to navigate. The only issues I've had is it gives me the message you get if you run consecutive searches too quickly (always says to wait 9 seconds but if I immediately go back and try again it works) and the "other" filter doesn't work for me. Haven't tried many of the other filters yet though.

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Definitely a good choice. Very easy to navigate. The only issues I've had is it gives me the message you get if you run consecutive searches too quickly (always says to wait 9 seconds but if I immediately go back and try again it works) and the "other" filter doesn't work for me. Haven't tried many of the other filters yet though.
Good catch. I fixed the OTHER prefix link. Thank you!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was hoping that the only reason it wasn't broken out into section was that the 2015 was the only MY for the current production chassis. I'm a little disappointed to read here that it wont be broken down into sections, and I think other may start to agree as this model starts to grow with the addition of the 2016 and so on.

It's just too easy to lose track of posts. I think this format was probably nice when there were very minimal posts rolling in, but it's moving towards a facebook type format, where if you miss something, it will be "gone" in a few days. Separate sections keep topics rolling that may not have a super large following, or topics that do not need to have constant posts. Personally, I ignore 90% of "wheels, and tires posts", or other

Search function is nice, but I imagine most users wont partake unless they are looking for something specific.

·
Former Site Owner
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was hoping that the only reason it wasn't broken out into section was that the 2015 was the only MY for the current production chassis. I'm a little disappointed to read here that it wont be broken down into sections, and I think other may start to agree as this model starts to grow with the addition of the 2016 and so on.

It's just too easy to lose track of posts. I think this format was probably nice when there were very minimal posts rolling in, but it's moving towards a facebook type format, where if you miss something, it will be "gone" in a few days. Separate sections keep topics rolling that may not have a super large following, or topics that do not need to have constant posts. Personally, I ignore 90% of "wheels, and tires posts", or other

Search function is nice, but I imagine most users wont partake unless they are looking for something specific.
Have you used any of the shortcuts to filter it by topic?
2015+ Shortcuts

PROS
Get in and see the latest threads just for the 2015+ Technical Forums. You are 1 click away from seeing all of the latest threads on a given topic by clicking any one of the shortcuts.

CONS
You cannot see the latest post on each topic as you could if we had individual subforums, which is something you giveup to get the PROs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts