IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us unlucky enough to live in CA, I figure we have another 2 or 3 years before we start smogging our cars.

My mod list is pretty extensive yet bolt-on. But as far as passing a proper visual while retaining a measure of performance, I'm thinking of the current path.

The Cobb XLE bypass valve is not CARB legal but the new version is. I could swap that out or just bolt on my old OEM one.

My Cobb SF intake does have a CARB sticker so no problem there. I think the turbo inlet tube can sneak under the radar since it's just a silicone tube directly attached to the intake.

Obviously my KillerB headers and Grimmspeed downpipe are insta-fails. So, I'm pondering the cylinder-4 cooling mod plus porting the cast iron manifolds and ceramic coating them. I'm also thinking of getting my VF48 worked over again by SoCal porting with one of their billet wheels. I'll probably yank the 1000cc injectors for the OEM ones and get the whole car retuned with the stock downpipe.

The only iffy thing after that would be my IAG AOS. I'm not terribly concerned about it since it is black and is such a clean install that it could almost be mistaken for factory. And I can point to the PCV valve on it, too.

Eventually, it's either de-modify the car or play the parts swap game every two years, unless the law changes again in our favor.

What say ye?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is it 7 years from when we purchase the car? Or 7 model years? (I'm currently drivin a 2017 sti, I think purchased late 2016 if I recall correctly )

·
Registered
273 Posts
As before, it all depends on your Smog Shop and how “picky they are” with the visual...

Down pipe is prolly recommended to change back to stock as well as the BPV, but YMMV with aftermarket headers as I don’t recall the STI’s ever having a second cat in the headers.
Also AOS is generally a no-no (again with the visual) even tho it’s actually a benefit for all!
If not such a strict tech, “should” be able to get by with inlet hose, headers, and Cobb intake. Most everything else would likely be a bridge too far, but get more feedback before un-installing all your parts (and re-tune)...

·
Registered
11 Posts
AOS is ok. you have to make sure all the parameters are set aka all sensors are active even if you are “hotsmogging” those sensors gotta be up in order to pass

·
Registered
387 Posts
The AOS is dependent on the smog tech. I would take the documentation with you just in case.

According to the BAR who runs the smog program, an AOS is legal as long as all of the routing is the same as stock. According to CARB, these devices don't require an EO from a Smog Check perspective as long as they remain a sealed system.

This document from the BAR is a bit newer than the version referenced above (2017 vs 2009). On page 49:

I recommend retaining the OEM PCV valve if possible since it's technically considered an emissions control component.

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great news. I'd hate to have to go back to the OEM PCV setup. I see aftermarket intercoolers are also ok.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts