IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I've never had a Subaru before, but I have driven them (specifically my sister's newer outback). I definitely like them quite a bit and decided I wanted to get a new STI.

The question is though should I wait for the 2015 to come out in the April time frame or go with the 2014. I'm looking at strictly the sedans keep in mind.

I like the rear end of the 2014 quite a bit but haven't obviously had the opportunity to see the 2015 in person. I just don't know if there are other things I may like about the 2015 model over the 2014....hmmm

I personally love advanced electronics in cars now-a-days and hear the 2015 will have some additional features in that area. I plan to mod the car I get a good amount too.

Any thoughts on 2014 vs 2015??

Thx!
KIKGuy666

·
Registered
111 Posts
Even though there have not been any reviews about the 15 I would personally get a 15. I like the look and bet it will grow on most people over time. You will be getting a better platform to start with and the 15s look much improved on the inside. People can say that the 14 will handle as good as the 15 with improvements but no one has data on that and once you modify the 15 you will have even a better handling car. Also the steering rack is a big improvement over previous models. Why not get the new improved STi?

·
Registered
346 Posts
If your looking at sedans strictly then def go with the 2015, that's a no brainer! I owned a 2012 and 2013 STI sedans and while I liked them a lot Im excited for the arrival of the 2015 sedan as it has obvious improvements over the current sedan. Better steering ratio, better suspension, less bodyroll, electronic boost gauge in the dash, way better looking interior, and in my opinion the looks of the new sedan are pretty cool. Plus its not that long of a wait for the 2015.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
^this. The 2015, although the same engine, has upgraded suspension, slightly stiffer chassis resulting in a slightly better car overall. Considering STI's have a high demand for the amount produced, I doubt you will find a 2014 STI new for much less than a 2015. Also I think the interior of the 2015 compared to previous gen will be an upgrade in itself. So basically, +1 for the 2015 model.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mate i work at a dealership and i would go for the 15. I think it a step forward. The interior is alot nicer too and looks a bit more upmarket. In the flesh they look alot better than in pics too

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
If you can hold out, wait until after the first model year. There's ALWAYS bugs that will need to be worked out, or features they dorked up (shout out to my 2008 Hill Assist peeps!).

As for looks, that's on you because it's totally subjective. I wonder though, if everyone in this thread instead replied that the 2015 looked like complete shit, if the OP would say "you're right, I think the 2014 is the best choice" LOL

Seriously though, like everyone above said, the new car will be a slight step up in handling and interior appointments, and it's a newer car, so on paper it's the better choice.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
2015 hands down!

Me personally I'll wait for the 2016 and if it has DIT I'll trade in my 2013 :D
Take this with a grain of salt, but I was told the other day by a local dealership that the 2016 STI will likely be the 2.0 DIT. He gave two reasons why the 2015 didn't: SOA wanted to maintain a certain % warranty claim number and they had too many leftover castings of the 2.5 so they wanted to use them up. I guess because the 2.0 is a newer engine the reliability is not very predictable whereas they have over a decade of data on the 2.5 so they knew what they're going to get. Basically the rex is the test mule and that was their plan. Makes complete sense to me.

Considering that, I'd recommend to anyone who asks this question to wait until 2016. I don't recommend the first MY of any car redesign. The first year always has more bugs, it's common sense.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
What bugs did the 2011 Sedan have or the 08 hatch? I usually agree with the first model year thing but these cars have been so similar from 04 that I don't believe it applies to the STi. Now I would be a little concerned about the WRX with the new FA motor

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
What bugs did the 2011 Sedan have or the 08 hatch? I usually agree with the first model year thing but these cars have been so similar from 04 that I don't believe it applies to the STi. Now I would be a little concerned about the WRX with the new FA motor
detonation at redline which prompted Subaru to issue a reflash a few months after the 2008came out

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was and I guess to an extent still am in the same situation. I am 99.9% sure I'm going to go for a 15sti. Like others have said, interior looks much nicer. The price seems to be just right to me, and were talking about waiting like, what? 3 Months? I know I would 100% regret not waiting to get the newer model. I think the only way I could be pushed into a 14 would be if I really wanted a hatch or if I got some KILLER deal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Even though there have not been any reviews about the 15 I would personally get a 15. I like the look and bet it will grow on most people over time. You will be getting a better platform to start with and the 15s look much improved on the inside. People can say that the 14 will handle as good as the 15 with improvements but no one has data on that and once you modify the 15 you will have even a better handling car. Also the steering rack is a big improvement over previous models. Why not get the new improved STi?
I've been searching online like crazy for where to get a new quick steering rack for my 2013 STi. Both the websites for Q-Rack and Rev-Labs are either down or gone. I've been searching for hours and all forums have information that is YEARS old. Does anyone know where to get these things!?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm going to put my two cents in this. The 2015 has some nice updates, and the STi keeps the proven motor.
I'm going to share a personal experience with you for what it's worth. First year cars can be prone to quality control issues. Little annoying and sometimes catastrophic issues reveal themselves during your honeymoon period.
I usually don't say much in this forum cause I don't know anyone, but my experience with a Subaru built 1st year lemon is one for the books.
I recently turned in a 2013 FR-S, it was built by Subaru so all semantics aside it was their fault. The last three cars I've had were all Subaru.
The FR-S had more than 7,000.00 dollars in warranty work done on it, the dealership had the car more than 45 days during my one year ownership. I signed a NDA so the only specifics I can address is fit, finish and operability were all issues.
I'm not sure how strapped you are for needing a car, I myself bought a used STi and will wait for a 2016 or 2017 before I buy the new chassis, and it is a new chassis. You can follow your heart and look the other way like I did for a year, but common sense will eventually kick in and if you are having issues, it will diminish the enjoyment you spend your hard earned money on.
Either way, best of luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts