IW STi Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
I don’t know much about them. I mean I know what they are and what they do. But I see so many mixed reviews on the benefits of them.
They keep heat from being conducted to the TGV (deleted) s. They may be necessary for extra height if you be need it - my or does fro the 3" inlet to make even an ugly fit.

·
Registered
656 Posts
They keep heat from being conducted to the TGV (deleted) s. They may be necessary for extra height if you be need it - my or does fro the 3" inlet to make even an ugly fit.
i'm not running them and run a 3' inlet....so i know that's not necessary for a 3' inlet.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
i'm not running them and run a 3' inlet....so i know that's not necessary for a 3' inlet.
My inlet might be the only ugly part of my build - and the spacers add a little much needed room. Don't know what our differences are.

Rotated would have been much nicer, but I wasn't going FMIC, and I wasn't going rotated unless I did ATW. As it was, the car made me phenomenally happy . . .but i wasn't hoping for near 500AWHP - If I had been it would have been rotated and ATW though FMIC certainly works.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey brother so my car has the SPC setup. What do you thing about their exhaust?
honestly dont know much/anything about them other than the fact they come from subaru. so long as it's 3' all the way through you should be fine.

My inlet might be the only ugly part of my build - and the spacers add a little much needed room. Don't know what our differences are.

Rotated would have been much nicer, but I wasn't going FMIC, and I wasn't going rotated unless I did ATW. As it was, the car made me phenomenally happy . . .but i wasn't hoping for near 500AWHP - If I had been it would have been rotated and ATW though FMIC certainly works.
mine is a hard inlet. and it's definitely not an easy fit, but it can be done without spacers.

and you can go rotated with a tmic. it has been done plenty of times by local autocross guys. that was my plan till i got more and more into road courses lol. i started with the plan of building a car specifically for autocross. and i planned to go rotated with a tmic.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
honestly dont know much/anything about them other than the fact they come from subaru. so long as it's 3' all the way through you should be fine.

mine is a hard inlet. and it's definitely not an easy fit, but it can be done without spacers.

and you can go rotated with a tmic. it has been done plenty of times by local autocross guys. that was my plan till i got more and more into road courses lol. i started with the plan of building a car specifically for autocross. and i planned to go rotated with a tmic.
Hey brother how much HP can the stock EJ257 block handle?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hey brother how much HP can the stock EJ257 block handle?
which one? there's more than one ej257. with a high quality tune and e85, i have seen people push 400 with long term success. but ive also seen them break at 350. and with the new ra blocks some are pushing 500+.....granted, it's more a matter of when those will go. why though? thought you got a built block?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
which one? there's more than one ej257. with a high quality tune and e85, i have seen people push 400 with long term success. but ive also seen them break at 350. and with the new ra blocks some are pushing 500+.....granted, it's more a matter of when those will go. why though? thought you got a built block?
It’s a semi closed block. It’s not a built block

·
Registered
656 Posts
It’s a semi closed block. It’s not a built block
built refers to internals, not weather it's semi closed or not. i have a built block that is still utilizing a semi closed deck, but has pistons/rods/crank/etc and is still considered built. so are you asking what a stock block will hold or how much stock case halves will hold. cause those are two very different answers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
built refers to internals, not weather it's semi closed or not. i have a built block that is still utilizing a semi closed deck, but has pistons/rods/crank/etc and is still considered built. so are you asking what a stock block will hold or how much stock case halves will hold. cause those are two very different answers
The stock cast halves. Sorry

·
Registered
656 Posts
The stock cast halves. Sorry
honestly it depends on the internals inside them. ive seen people push 27-29 psi through them without issue, but there are quite a few variables to that. you said your goal was 500 right? you can do that, however, if you have the budget for it, going closed deck with half inch headstuds is a much better option.

as long as you have a good tuner, they should be able to tell you what it can handle. like i said ive seen people make 500+ with them with a good bit of boost, idk if ive ever seen anyone push into the 30psi range on any turbo without going closed deck or sleeved, i'm sure they are out there. i just dont know anyone who has

·
Registered
656 Posts
time out, i know one guy, he made 540whp on a stock 07 longblock running something like 32psi through a gtx35 on e85. although i think he only drove it like twice a month and idk if he ever really pushed on it all that hard. he ended up going with a closed deck as well

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
honestly it depends on the internals inside them. ive seen people push 27-29 psi through them without issue, but there are quite a few variables to that. you said your goal was 500 right? you can do that, however, if you have the budget for it, going closed deck with half inch headstuds is a much better option.

as long as you have a good tuner, they should be able to tell you what it can handle. like i said ive seen people make 500+ with them with a good bit of boost, idk if ive ever seen anyone push into the 30psi range on any turbo without going closed deck or sleeved, i'm sure they are out there. i just dont know anyone who has
The int

·
Registered
656 Posts
The internals are capable of almost 600 HP I’m not worried there just the cast halves. Also how much would it be to go closed deck?
reach out to either outfront motorsports or IAG performance. dont quote me but if i remember correctly if i were to have gone closed deck it would have been another 1k.......honestly i wish i would have had the knowledge I do now when i built my motor lol. i'd have upgraded the valves/springs/etc cause that is the weak point for me limiting how much boost i can run. and i'd have also just bit the bullet and gone closed deck to allow for more headroom.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts