IW STi Forum banner
61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mine is a 2014 STI. So the engine builder is saying it won't be done till the end of the month now so they are adding Manley turbo tuff pistons and rods for free. They said with those they have guys running around the 580 HP mark on E85. Looks like the Hellcat fuel pump will be here Thursday so I ordered Cobb fuel rails, lines, and their fuel pressure regulator.
dang they threw in pistons and rods. that's legit. mine took like 2 months or so from iag lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So I have a 2014 STI with 50k on the motor and it just blew. I just had GCH longblocks start my stage one longblock and need to know what else I'll need to hit the 500+ HP area. They said the longblock will handle around 620HP. What should I look for and what would I need to do to make that 500+ HP mark. Any help would be amazing. I'm new to the flat 4 world but have a good understanding of what it really takes to make good HP in the tuning world.
I've made 560whp with the FP Black on e85 running 26ish lbs. walbro 450, ID1300's, along with everything else needed. I would highly suggest going with the ETS rotated kit if you're going that route. Fitment is much, much better. the hellcat is going to draw a lot from you alternator, regardless of it being hardwired. Something to think about. A hardwired 450 will get you over 500 on e85, no problem. If you want room to grow, do the dual pump with a hobbs switch and bigger lines. you are going to be at the upper limits of that turbo, and if you're doing a rotated set up, consider running something a bit bigger. Rotating a black seems kinda pointless, unless you're set on the black. it will fit in the stock location, and if I were you, id just get an AMS manifold to fit a larger turbo inlet. clutch depends on if this is a daily, how much torque you're shooting for, and how much you wanna spend. Gonna be honest, this build seems all over the place. Not saying the guys doing the work for you aren't knowledgeable, but they are making questionable suggestions. Also, is this motor rated for 650 at the wheels, or the crank?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I've made 560whp with the FP Black on e85 running 26ish lbs. walbro 450, ID1300's, along with everything else needed. I would highly suggest going with the ETS rotated kit if you're going that route. Fitment is much, much better. the hellcat is going to draw a lot from you alternator, regardless of it being hardwired. Something to think about. A hardwired 450 will get you over 500 on e85, no problem. If you want room to grow, do the dual pump with a hobbs switch and bigger lines. you are going to be at the upper limits of that turbo, and if you're doing a rotated set up, consider running something a bit bigger. Rotating a black seems kinda pointless, unless you're set on the black. it will fit in the stock location, and if I were you, id just get an AMS manifold to fit a larger turbo inlet. clutch depends on if this is a daily, how much torque you're shooting for, and how much you wanna spend. Gonna be honest, this build seems all over the place. Not saying the guys doing the work for you aren't knowledgeable, but they are making questionable suggestions. Also, is this motor rated for 650 at the wheels, or the crank?
I'm not doing a rotated turbo I'm running a stock location. My goal on E85 is around the 550HP range and 420 on 91. With the Manley Turbo Tuff pistons and rods the rating at crank is around 720HP. I am upgrading more than I need to but I plan on keeping the car for a few years so I don't want any issues before moving to the GT500 I was looking at when the motor shit it's self. A lot of my questions just come from looking for different ways people have made a good amount of power and deciding on what level of fun I want to have with this one. Even the people doing the tune and helping me with a lot of what I'm doing are telling me I may be doing quite a bit more than I need to but I'm in a spot where I can so I don't see why I shouldn't.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
What about Phenolic thermal intake spacers? I have the TGV deletes on order and wanted to know what you guys think about the thermal spacers!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not doing a rotated turbo I'm running a stock location. My goal on E85 is around the 550HP range and 420 on 91. With the Manley Turbo Tuff pistons and rods the rating at crank is around 720HP. I am upgrading more than I need to but I plan on keeping the car for a few years so I don't want any issues before moving to the GT500 I was looking at when the motor shit it's self. A lot of my questions just come from looking for different ways people have made a good amount of power and deciding on what level of fun I want to have with this one. Even the people doing the tune and helping me with a lot of what I'm doing are telling me I may be doing quite a bit more than I need to but I'm in a spot where I can so I don't see why I shouldn't.
Right on! You’ll make 550 no problem. You are gonna be touching the upper limits of that motor, just so you know. There isn’t going to be much head room. 720 is right around 540-570 to the wheels. Just a head up. Best of luck with the build.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Right on! You’ll make 550 no problem. You are gonna be touching the upper limits of that motor, just so you know. There isn’t going to be much head room. 720 is right around 540-570 to the wheels. Just a head up. Best of luck with the build.
I'll be posting dyno numbers in a few months after the break in and everything is done.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Just a single. The tuner said it would be fins as well just wanted to see what others would say as well.

·
Registered
656 Posts
oh yeah, a single shouldnt be an issue at all. i dont think you'll have anything to worry about there.

the ONLY issue i would ever see on a single pump (provided a setup like yours that can run one), is if you are tracking the car and need a scavenge pump to keep it from fuel starvation in sustained high g corners. if you are tracking it on a road course, i'd be sure to get a scavenge pump which would have an extra fuel pump there, if you arent tracking it hard, you wont have an issue (and even if you are, that typically only comes into play when you have lower fuel levels in tank, and the fuel is slosshed to one side or the other.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'd be very very careful with GCH. They have a very poor reputation, and I've seen numerous people complain about how shitty they put engines together.

using wrong headgaskets, not putting RTV to seal the case halves, or using too much RTV that it clogs ports and causes rod failures, not torquing headbolts correctly and all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
I'd be very very careful with GCH. They have a very poor reputation, and I've seen numerous people complain about how shitty they put engines together.

using wrong headgaskets, not putting RTV to seal the case halves, or using too much RTV that it clogs ports and causes rod failures, not torquing headbolts correctly and all kinds of issues.
The build seams good but I’ll take it easy and go from there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
oh yeah, a single shouldnt be an issue at all. i dont think you'll have anything to worry about there.

the ONLY issue i would ever see on a single pump (provided a setup like yours that can run one), is if you are tracking the car and need a scavenge pump to keep it from fuel starvation in sustained high g corners. if you are tracking it on a road course, i'd be sure to get a scavenge pump which would have an extra fuel pump there, if you arent tracking it hard, you wont have an issue (and even if you are, that typically only comes into play when you have lower fuel levels in tank, and the fuel is slosshed to one side or the other.

So it looks like my motor ships Monday!! I was wondering what your thoughts were on phenolic thermal intake spacers?

·
Premium Member
See about
6,136 Posts
I'm not doing a rotated turbo I'm running a stock location. My goal on E85 is around the 550HP range and 420 on 91. With the Manley Turbo Tuff pistons and rods the rating at crank is around 720HP. I am upgrading more than I need to
Doen't sound like upgrading more than I need to me . . . you're kind of pushing the limits of a stock location set-up. Personally, I'll never build with a FMIC unless its its rotated setup. Many people have though.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So it looks like my motor ships Monday!! I was wondering what your thoughts were on phenolic thermal intake spacers?
I don’t know much about them. I mean I know what they are and what they do. But I see so many mixed reviews on the benefits of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Okay cool. What about fuel lines. I was talking to someone and they said your fuel lines need to be equal length! That can't be true is it?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Okay cool. What about fuel lines. I was talking to someone and they said your fuel lines need to be equal length! That can't be true is it?
I’m not sure if it needs to be equal length. But I’d go with iag rails/lines personally.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts