IW STi Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Also what do you think about the Borla unequal length turbo manifold header?
If you’re aiming for 500. Don’t do unequal length. Yes I get sound May be more pleasing but literally every other aspect (power, soool, reliability, drivability, etc) is better with equal length. Go killer b if you can afford it. Tomei/Iag if you can’t swing killer b. I’m not lying when I say it’s significantly better in every way possible

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Stock location? Well thats less expensive for sure. You’ll likely need bigger injectors for 500. I’d go with 1300s at least. Ideally 1700s to give you head room.
Go perrin or cobb for fmic. Grimmspeed May be ok, but has a lot of mixed reviews.
necer heard of lachute so can’t speak on them.

STAY AWAY FROM GFB. I got one and it leaked within a few weeks.

e85 if you can get it. It’s safer. Less complicated. Will make more power and be more reliable.
Even if my goal is 500 if I do E85 I'll need bigger ingectors?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Even if my goal is 500 if I do E85 I'll need bigger ingectors?
Yes. You’ll be maxing those 1050s likely before 500. Well before. Which is why i say go bigger. If you already bought that list. Exchange that and the gfb bov. Or sell it and buy another.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yes. You’ll be maxing those 1050s likely before 500. Well before. Which is why i say go bigger. If you already bought that list. Exchange that and the gfb bov. Or sell it and buy another.
So what about spark plugs and ignition coils? Go back to OEM or upgrade?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
You can stick with oem coils. Plenty of big power guys running stocks. Spark plugs, one step colder to start.

Also why did you choose Lachute downpipe out of curiosity?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
You can stick with oem coils. Plenty of big power guys running stocks. Spark plugs, one step colder to start.

Also why did you choose Lachute downpipe out of curiosity?
The shop that's doing the tune said it was a good one for me because I'm still running cats.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Interesting that they would recommend Lachute over Cobb, Grimmspeed, and Invidia. All of them offer catted downpipes.
Not sure. The did say to get a 380 LPH fuel pump as well. I might take the car to a different tuner now.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Not sure. The did say to get a 380 LPH fuel pump as well. I might take the car to a different tuner now.
I think you need to make a game plan with your build. Seems like you're spending a whole lot of money without a true sense of direction. Karlot's advise is pretty solid and i do agree with it. Normally a shop thats going to be doing a build with you would be working with you on advising or atleast your tuner would be involved. Just my 2cents. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I think you need to make a game plan with your build. Seems like you're spending a whole lot of money without a true sense of direction. Karlot's advise is pretty solid and i do agree with it. Normally a shop thats going to be doing a build with you would be working with you on advising or atleast your tuner would be involved. Just my 2cents. :)
So I got everything that the shop said I should go with. They did come with a ton of backing from other's in the area but the more I look around a few of the things I did buy might not be the best. I still have some things to get but not much. A lot of my questions are also if I should spend a little more just to make sure I don't have issues down the road.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So I got everything that the shop said I should go with. They did come with a ton of backing from other's in the area but the more I look around a few of the things I did buy might not be the best. I still have some things to get but not much. A lot of my questions are also if I should spend a little more just to make sure I don't have issues down the road.
always spend money for better parts to not have issues down the road, ive made that mistake before and ended up spending more than i initially would have to fix issues. I cant speak to the DP you got, as i have no experience with it, that said, a downpipe isnt really super complicated to make, and as long as you have a quality high flow cat on it, you'll probably have nothing to worry about with that. Cats can be restrictive for making power, but the newer ones, specifically the GESI cats that cobb offers (idk if others offer these as well or not), dont really hinder flow untill you are decently into the 500 range.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'm not cutting any corners here. Hell I bet I'm getting some things I don't really need but don't want to have any issues down the road. I'm going to the tuner tomorrow to get bigger injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
always spend money for better parts to not have issues down the road, ive made that mistake before and ended up spending more than i initially would have to fix issues. I cant speak to the DP you got, as i have no experience with it, that said, a downpipe isnt really super complicated to make, and as long as you have a quality high flow cat on it, you'll probably have nothing to worry about with that. Cats can be restrictive for making power, but the newer ones, specifically the GESI cats that cobb offers (idk if others offer these as well or not), dont really hinder flow untill you are decently into the 500 range.
O and I just ordered a Cobb flex fuel sensor.
Perrin boost controller.
Upgraded coin packs. (the extra cost over OEM was small)
All the gauges and a few other odds and ends.

·
Registered
656 Posts
O and I just ordered a Cobb flex fuel sensor.
Perrin boost controller.
Upgraded coin packs. (the extra cost over OEM was small)
All the gauges and a few other odds and ends.
if you start having misfires, check those aftermarket coil packs first. they will likely be ok, but subarus are picky about some non oem parts. i dont think that's one but it could be. like i said, i have no memory of using aftermarket coil packs (and we built plenty making over 400whp and some over 500 when i worked at mach v)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
if you start having misfires, check those aftermarket coil packs first. they will likely be ok, but subarus are picky about some non oem parts. i dont think that's one but it could be. like i said, i have no memory of using aftermarket coil packs (and we built plenty making over 400whp and some over 500 when i worked at mach v)
Okay so I just ordered 1700cc ID injectors. Now what should I do for the fuel pump? Should I do a Radium engineering dual fuel pump set up or try to find a 440 lph pump?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Okay so I just ordered 1700cc ID injectors. Now what should I do for the fuel pump? Should I do a Radium engineering dual fuel pump set up or try to find a 440 lph pump?
i doubt you'll need a dual fuel pump setup for that power level. you can if you want to.

i cant remember, are you planning on racing it?

and if youre looking for a single i believe hellcat pumps work, that's what IAG suggested to me

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
So the 1700cc injectors should be here soon. I also ordered TGV deletes as well. Do I need to run top mount fuel rails as well? I also ran into a video about the secondary air pump delete. I would imagine that would help a lot in clearing up space correct.

·
Registered
656 Posts
So the 1700cc injectors should be here soon. I also ordered TGV deletes as well. Do I need to run top mount fuel rails as well? I also ran into a video about the secondary air pump delete. I would imagine that would help a lot in clearing up space correct.
what year is the car? fuel rails would be a good idea, but so long as the car came with top feed from the factory you should be ok.

the air pump is just emmissions, it'll clean up a bit but it's still pretty cluttered in my bay lol. i do have one of those haha.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Mine is a 2014 STI. So the engine builder is saying it won't be done till the end of the month now so they are adding Manley turbo tuff pistons and rods for free. They said with those they have guys running around the 580 HP mark on E85. Looks like the Hellcat fuel pump will be here Thursday so I ordered Cobb fuel rails, lines, and their fuel pressure regulator.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts