IW STi Forum banner

321 - 340 of 893 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Re: 2014 DGM Sti *IAG*KillerB*ID* 297HP/358TQ

Dude, the things I would do get a tune from JJ. Why are all the good tuners on the East Coast. :'(
Why?

Joebie, something to consider. I did e-tune from Clark Turner...my FIRST MAP ran better than my Jr tune ever did. A couple more iterations and the car was/is running flawlessly. No blown ringlands. No knock. No throttle that's so sensitive that you can't even use Sport Sharp....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #322

Why?

Joebie, something to consider. I did e-tune from Clark Turner...my FIRST MAP ran better than my Jr tune ever did. A couple more iterations and the car was/is running flawlessly. No blown ringlands. No knock. No throttle that's so sensitive that you can't even use Sport Sharp....
I did think about e-tuning or possibly going with Graham Gaylord from Boosted Performance Tuning as I've heard really good things.

·
Registered
909 Posts

Why?

Cause I feel like Jr is one of the best tuners in the country. I live in Utah and we basically have 2 tuners, and one just got caught map flashing peoples cars with a shitty tune that has caused a known 11 head gasket failures and the other guy has a problem with knocking issues.

My build would be right up Jr's alley with stuff he likes to tune around, and deals with a lot. I'm just a couple thousand miles to far away and that makes me sad.

·
Registered
909 Posts

If you can get enough people together who need to get tuned, I know he has gone to places before. (Although that was Alaska) Worth a shot.
Should have multi-quoted this. Oh well.

I would if people here haven't turned into cheap assholes. Plus, the scene has turned into stance and not power out here. So most of them wouldn't care. Maybe I can find a group of guys to get it going. That would be sweet.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #325

Cause I feel like Jr is one of the best tuners in the country. I live in Utah and we basically have 2 tuners, and one just got caught map flashing peoples cars with a shitty tune that has caused a known 11 head gasket failures and the other guy has a problem with knocking issues.

My build would be right up Jr's alley with stuff he likes to tune around, and deals with a lot. I'm just a couple thousand miles to far away and that makes me sad.
Awenthol had a fairly terrible experience with Jr, so I understand his opinion for sure.

Should have multi-quoted this. Oh well.

I would if people here haven't turned into cheap assholes. Plus, the scene has turned into stance and not power out here. So most of them wouldn't care. Maybe I can find a group of guys to get it going. That would be sweet.
Ugh, that would be frustrating, we have a few decent options out here so it's easy to take one for granted.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #326

Got a lot done yesterday!

Installed the fuel pressure sensor:

Installed the AMR hard inlet... and it was a gigantic pain in the ass. I know AMR claims that is a drop in item, but I'm sorry - it isn't LOL.
Preparing for insertion:

Here it is installed:(You can also see the IAT sensor on the TMIC now)

Biggest pain points in the install was my refusal to remove the manifold. But we actually managed to get the old pipe out with brute force and the new one just slid right in. The next was getting the hose on the turbo on properly - it's pretty close (read: touching) the TGV housing.

And lastly, that weird blow by sensor thing, I couldn't find out definitively if I could delete it or not, so we got creative with the mill, and made this: One end is threaded for the barb fitting and the other is interference fit into the "sensor".

Here it is being cut:

Probably a hell of a lot of overkill, but it didn't take long to do.:rolleyes:

Lastly ended up getting the IAT sensor bung welded on:

This is literally, the first thing I have TIG welded for myself - most of the time I'm doing work for other people LOL. This was also the most nerve wracking thing I've EVER done. Drilling into the TMIC was easy, but it took time. The sketchy part was not being able to stop the aluminum shavings from going inside the end tank. I used a step bit with copious amounts of bearing grease to catch as many shavings as possible, but it didn't catch them all unfortunately. Creative use of a vacuum and an air hose took care of the rest thankfully.:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Also side note, I found out the Cobb heat shield doesn't fit. YAY. Gold taped for nothing.:confused:
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #327

Ordered a PTP blanket - Subframe lock down bushings (KDT910) and a DW direct wire kit.

• Install Flex Fuel kit
  • Install Fuel pressure kit
  • Weld bung on TMIC
  • Make intake
  • Install hard inlet
  • Install AEM 320
  • Direct wire pump
  • Install EBCS
  • Install MAP sensor
  • Install BOV/Create flange - Started on this, going to cut a new flange out and weld on the Tial adapter.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #328

Ordered everything I need (hopefully) for the 3.5" intake.

Hope to get that finished this weekend. Time is running short.:p

·
Registered
612 Posts

I did think about e-tuning or possibly going with Graham Gaylord from Boosted Performance Tuning as I've heard really good things.
I have a stage 1 e-tune from Graham at boosted right now. Its a peppy tune with only cruise knock here and there. I am about to go stage 2 with EFI, though. If you end up doing a tune with Graham post your experience!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #330

I've heard reallllly good things about Graham. But I have my appointment set with Jr. for the 25th.

Make sure to mention that you had a little knock, and you may want to grab a log too just in case. (Even though you are goin' with EFIlogics)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #331

I barely got anything done this weekend. Went to a dyno day on Saturday and then Sunday somehow slipped past before putting a dent into any of the work that needed to get done.

My buddy turned this out real quick:

The whole gang together: :lol:

Here is what the finished product will look like:

Ohhhhh ahhhhh so much clearance now: :eek:

Also, I broke the cute little adapter that Cobb supplies with their fuel pressure kit. But then I found out it's a design that looks a lot like this:

5/16-8MM LATE MODEL BILLET FUEL LINE ADAPTER

I will be ordering some fittings to redo my fuel lines a little bit, I'm going to put the fuel pressure sensor after the rails right before the ethanol sensor (The way Cobb has things plumbed). I have this feeling that in order for the fuel pressure differential to work properly it would need to be after the rails, and not just off the feed line at the firewall.

Hopefully get more work done on Wednesday. The list hasn't changed for the better. :mad:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #332

Finished the BOV flange:

Finished the new mounting bracket for the flex fuel sensor:

Annnnnd bought a replacement fuel rail adapter - stunning resemblance lol

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #333

Busy busy!
So I effed up and broke my COBB fuel pressure adapter so I had to get this on the quick:

FF sensor mounted:

BOV installed:

Unfortunately the -10PSI spring isn't working for me, so we milled out a spacer for it:

That helped, but after the car gets warm it still leaks, sooooo I ordered the 11PSI spring from Amazon prime.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #335

Hehe

A little hole saw action, and then I had to go at it with the air body saw as well. I kinda wish it peeked out a little more - maybe I need to make a new adapter to bump it up a little more LOL

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #336

Well tomorrow's the day.
Intake: "Custom" lol

Turbo blankie:

Blanket is pretty cool, I was seeing 70-100 temp differences from the surface of the blanket to the flange of the turbo (normal operation, not running the car hard).

I got literally everything done on the list:

Only things I have to do is pop the MAP sensor in, and then put the intake tube back on (Currently driving the car still, so I put the OEM airbox back on.)

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #340

Annnnnd now we wait. Here now. They checked the car out, and it has a leak at the amr inlet hose to the turbo. Thanks AMR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

321 - 340 of 893 Posts